• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing with someone who knows nothing about boat safety..??

Max2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I will start by saying I have owned several boats for over fifty years.
Mainly fishing the Bristol channel ..???
However recently I was invited to join a fishing trip ...on board my friends son's boat..??
He seemed to get annoyed with my asking if everything was working on his boat mainly the radio .???
G p s .and anything else that is basic boat safety..??
I have a mobile phone.??? And a torch.?? Was the reply..???
To which my reply was don't cast off until I get off your boat..???
I asked him how long have you owed this boat and how many times have you gone out on it .??
Why he asked ..because I can't believe that you are still alive ..there is not even a anchor aboard..
In case you have engine trouble..??? Perhaps you are willing to risk your life..but I'm not..?? Was my reply..
Eventually when you argument subsided he asked me what I knew about boating.. ??
I replied just a little bit and still learning...you can take my advice or not but it's essential that you put safety first ..
Especially when it comes to the Bristol channel..Or for that matter anywhere else you launch your boat..
He came to see me the following day which came as a surprise..
And asked me for some advice..anyway having just sold my boat I had a radio g p s. And flares.
Which I gave to him .along with a fish finder....
And told him to take a skippers course.... for his sake and everyone else who he intended to take out on his boat..I only hope that he takes the advice given...

Good for you - you probably saved some lives and / or RNLI time.

Firm believer in mandatory course like commercial endorsement requirements e.g RYA Power Boat Advanced or at least 2 depending on what you are doing.

The only other people who have been out with me on my boat are my wife and my younger son, on separate occasions.
Before I started the engine they were given instructions on where the spare kill chord was, how to start the engine, how to use the hand held VHF.
I told them what would happen if either of us went over the side, boat and MOB drift, and activation of the self inflating life jackets. How to get the boat alongside a person (me) in the water and how to get the boat to a fixed structure and secure it.
Then we went for a quick, 10 minute, trip around the harbour.
My son wants to go fishing with me, warm sunny weather and flat sea permitting. When that happens and we go out into the Solent I'll show him how to get Lat and Long position on the fish finder and what to say to HMCG if he needed to call them. He'll also do most of the driving so that if it all turns brown it won't be his first time.

I will start by saying I have owned several boats for over fifty years.
Mainly fishing the Bristol channel ..???
However recently I was invited to join a fishing trip ...on board my friends son's boat..??
He seemed to get annoyed with my asking if everything was working on his boat mainly the radio .???
G p s .and anything else that is basic boat safety..??
I have a mobile phone.??? And a torch.?? Was the reply..???
To which my reply was don't cast off until I get off your boat..???
I asked him how long have you owed this boat and how many times have you gone out on it .??
Why he asked ..because I can't believe that you are still alive ..there is not even a anchor aboard..
In case you have engine trouble..??? Perhaps you are willing to risk your life..but I'm not..?? Was my reply..
Eventually when you argument subsided he asked me what I knew about boating.. ??
I replied just a little bit and still learning...you can take my advice or not but it's essential that you put safety first ..
Especially when it comes to the Bristol channel..Or for that matter anywhere else you launch your boat..
He came to see me the following day which came as a surprise..
And asked me for some advice..anyway having just sold my boat I had a radio g p s. And flares.
Which I gave to him .along with a fish finder....
And told him to take a skippers course.... for his sake and everyone else who he intended to take out on his boat..I only hope that he takes the advice given...
Well done, I probably would have asked the same questions.

I usually give any new crew a safety lecture before we cast off, stuff like where to find the fire extinguisher, the first aid box, and the fuel / battery isolation. As it is a 6m RIB, I also give instruction on what to do if there is a MOB situation. All crew are instructed to remain seated whilst the boat is in motion, as it is a very fast boat. Also no LJ = no ride.

BTW, I don't carry flares anymore, I have always considered them a hazard on a small boat. I carry a PLB in my LJ, and the boat has an EPIRB. Also, the boat has AIS if the RNLI need to find me. When I am 40 miles out on the wrecks, a para flare has a life cycle of 15 secs, a PLB has a life cycle of 24hrs (min), and AIS will transmit for 5 days.

PLB's definitely work, mine went off accidentally 2 years ago and within 15 mins the CG were calling me on the radio by both voice and DSC.

Its a difficult one, i would say over 50% of boat owners (my self included) must have never owned a boat before they bought one.

I myself was both confident in knowing my abilities to use it in conditions suitable and to turn back in conditions not right, i do not think you need training for that, it is common sense.

Obviously its again where you are using the boat to determine the risks.

The first time i went on a yacht with a very experienced sailor, he went through every risk like @Ianpick and showed me everything like fire extinguisher, how to drop sails, to turn boat to pick up overboard person, etc before we left the mooring.
And i learnt from that i could without owning a 30ft yacht helm it to race and safely take it out and return to mooring.

Common sense is part (on the assumption that all have common sense) but knowledge of basic engine checks, navigation, boatmanship, COLREGS etc are just as important. Rescued / aided to safety 3 potentially serious motor boats last year. All due to lack of understanding of tides, depths and basic engine checks. Also a capsized dingy "yachtie" having an asthma attack in April who had no inhaler, no comms and had not told anyone from hayling Island YC where , what & when (he was lucky I popped over to check him out). He was a retired teacher!

The answer is: don't ever go out in a boat with anyone that hasn't passed a safety certificate.

Well done, I probably would have asked the same questions.

I usually give any new crew a safety lecture before we cast off, stuff like where to find the fire extinguisher, the first aid box, and the fuel / battery isolation. As it is a 6m RIB, I also give instruction on what to do if there is a MOB situation. All crew are instructed to remain seated whilst the boat is in motion, as it is a very fast boat. Also no LJ = no ride.

BTW, I don't carry flares anymore, I have always considered them a hazard on a small boat. I carry a PLB in my LJ, and the boat has an EPIRB. Also, the boat has AIS if the RNLI need to find me. When I am 40 miles out on the wrecks, a para flare has a life cycle of 15 secs, a PLB has a life cycle of 24hrs (min), and AIS will transmit for 5 days.

PLB's definitely work, mine went off accidentally 2 years ago and within 15 mins the CG were calling me on the radio by both voice and DSC.
Makes bloody good sense to me Ian. 👍👍

The answer is: don't ever go out in a boat with anyone that hasn't passed a safety certificate.

Hmm, I know a good few folk that have a PB2 certificate and TBH they shouldn't even be allowed to push a pram !

Any charter boat skipper will ALWAYS give a safety briefing, so no issue there. With any other private skipper, use your eyes and ask questions to ensure YOUR safety.

I used to go out with a good mate from Bantham, often twice a week in good weather.
He'd never done any courses that I know of, but served his apprenticeship in the dockyard here as a fitter & turner, and went on to work for a big marina & ship repair yard at Dartmouth.
He'd been around boats sine he could walk, knew his limits and those of his boat. The only time we ever had a problem was on a few rare occasions when his old inboard used to get troublesome. No issues - out with the big old Seagull he kept as an auxillary, drop it on the stern mount and head for home. Boat was never very fast, but we always got home safely.

I always used a Seagull 40+ as a backup if my Mariner outboard packed up whilst at sea (inshore), also some spare fuel and 2 stroke oil.

Last edited:
I always used a Seagull 40+ as a backup if my Marina outboard packed up whilst at sea (inshore), also some spare fuel and 2 stroke oil.
I had a Mariner 4hp 2 stroke as Aux always started up before going out as well and had spare 2 stroke on board, even though never went out more that a mile from the mooring.

Hmm, I know a good few folk that have a PB2 certificate and TBH they shouldn't even be allowed to push a pram !

Any charter boat skipper will ALWAYS give a safety briefing, so no issue there. With any other private skipper, use your eyes and ask questions to ensure YOUR safety.
I am commercially endorsed Advanced Power Boat i.e 20 miles from safe haven day & night. Help a mate with his charter boats but mainly use mine. I take regular crews. Have to log my hours for my renewal. Always give safety brief on charter & own boat nominating someone to take over / help ( basic radio procedures are set out by radio) should the need arise and in both types of boat have proved worthwhile in practical situations (all recuing others).
I agree that some who have done courses have little practical experience & make mistakes but these tend to be boat handling rather than safety checks. What would they be like without having done some basics?
I also agree there are those with no qual who have years of boat handling / safety experience and one of the best boatmen I know has no qualifications but has been fishing the Solent since he was a nipper but they are the minority and always exceptions but the point has been about those who go out in boats with no experience or training.

I am commercially endorsed Advanced Power Boat i.e 20 miles from safe haven day & night. Help a mate with his charter boats but mainly use mine. I take regular crews. Have to log my hours for my renewal. Always give safety brief on charter & own boat nominating someone to take over / help ( basic radio procedures are set out by radio) should the need arise and in both types of boat have proved worthwhile in practical situations (all recuing others).
I agree that some who have done courses have little practical experience & make mistakes but these tend to be boat handling rather than safety checks. What would they be like without having done some basics?
I also agree there are those with no qual who have years of boat handling / safety experience and one of the best boatmen I know has no qualifications but has been fishing the Solent since he was a nipper but they are the minority and always exceptions but the point has been about those who go out in boats with no experience or training.
2 of the best skippers ive ever fished with used to run out of portsmouth / collect at portchester
going back 35-40 yrs nearly
2 big old wooden things, they were brothers, eric was one, cant remember the other, but the boats were call ed sea witch and sea hawk
neither had proper gearboxes, just the open close bucket system for forward n backward
not a piece of paper between em lol :)

nowadays its different, thats why i went through the shyte of obtaining my commercially endorsed 60mile day / night ticket
covers my arse if i ever need to start chartering again :)
will just need a fresh medical n eye test :)

I had a Mariner 4hp 2 stroke as Aux always started up before going out as well and had spare 2 stroke on board, even though never went out more that a mile from the mooring.
We always went off the moorings on the auxiliary! Too many don't start the emergency engine before bthey go out! I won't go out if I haven't got a life jacket these days!;!;

Being a boat owner of many years and having had a few nasty experiences over 30 years.
Ropes round props, decreasing forecasts which suddenly went to force sevens, narrowly missing semi submerged containers and failed engines.
For me it comes down to, what if?.
If you dont have all the answers to all the what ifs you should not own a boat.
Aux engines, life preservers, waterproof handhelds, insurance, and 100% knowledge that your boat is structurally sound do not go.

If you are not equally confident of the boat you are thinking of betting your life on..... dont get on it.

Simple.

Dont be a bell end.

Being a boat owner of many years and having had a few nasty experiences over 30 years.
Ropes round props, decreasing forecasts which suddenly went to force sevens, narrowly missing semi submerged containers and failed engines.
For me it comes down to, what if?.
If you dont have all the answers to all the what ifs you should not own a boat.
Aux engines, life preservers, waterproof handhelds, insurance, and 100% knowledge that your boat is structurally sound do not go.

If you are not equally confident of the boat you are thinking of betting your life on..... dont get on it.

Simple.

Dont be a bell end.

i always use the old equation

if the boat can handle worse conditions than the skipper, its all good
if the skipper can handle worse conditions than the boat can , best stopping on the pontoon

I agree that some who have done courses have little practical experience & make mistakes but these tend to be boat handling rather than safety checks.

I have seen some bigger mistakes than just boat handling !

We always went off the moorings on the auxiliary! Too many don't start the emergency engine before bthey go out!

I don't carry an Aux. My Merc 150 4 stroke is the max transom weight, and an Aux on a RIB is a liability. The Merc is serviced every year at no expense spared (it is still under the 5 year warranty). Modern 4 stroke outboards TBH are super reliable compared to older 2 strokes and a lot of inboards. I carry enough warp to anchor in 500ft, and I can't think of anywhere here up to 40 miles out where the water is that deep (maybe 300ft max).

if the boat can handle worse conditions than the skipper, its all good
if the skipper can handle worse conditions than the boat can , best stopping on the pontoon

With most decent modern boats, the skipper and crew will give up long before the boat will.

Last edited:
Back