• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing with someone who knows nothing about boat safety..??

My boat is only small, an Orkney Coastliner 14, it's only used inshore and in good conditions. Has two VHF, two anchors, auxiliary outboard, two GPS etc.

No one gets on my boat without a life jacket which needs to be worn at all times. They are also subjected to a training session on, VHF operation, MOB switch, how to start and use the outboard and where everything is stored. If god forbid I fell over board it's nice to know they have some idea and ability to to rescue me. I don't usually invite non experienced to join me.

Original poster was quite right to get off that boat, disaster waiting to happen.

My boat is only small, an Orkney Coastliner 14, it's only used inshore and in good conditions. Has two VHF, two anchors, auxiliary outboard, two GPS etc.

No one gets on my boat without a life jacket which needs to be worn at all times. They are also subjected to a training session on, VHF operation, MOB switch, how to start and use the outboard and where everything is stored. If god forbid I fell over board it's nice to know they have some idea and ability to to rescue me. I don't usually invite non experienced to join me.

Original poster was quite right to get off that boat, disaster waiting to happen.
I was shown how to stop a yacht on sail once, not quite sure if i remember how to, will have to have a refresher.

Spare kill cord is often forgotten!

Yep, got 2 spares on the boat, also the kill switch can be manually operated without the cord, this if the helm is chucked overboard (the kill cord goes with him) then the one of the crew can take the helm for MOB recovery, which we hope never happens.

Back