• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fixed spool reel for boat and beach.

concrete

Reaction score
Hi. I did a bit of uptiding for hounds the other week usung a carp rod and my penn spinfisher 5000. I quite liked it and was thinking about trying one on the proper uptiders. I’ve also got a century T700 which I use a multiplier on, but that will happily take a fixed spool. The question is, is there a reel out there that is suitable for both? I’m an abuser of gear, so it needs to be tough and also fairly waterproof. I would normally go for a bigger spinfisher, but they aren’t light. Just wondered what you guys might be using. I don’t mind spending a few quid for the right reel, but can’t justify Saltiga or Stella money.

Power areo tough beasts great for casting and can handle the boat if you want a smaller reel I’d take a look at the pen conflict great for beach but will handle boat work as well a mate took one to Norway and never missed a beat I’d pick these two because they can cast real well but will orso handle boat work as long as your not skull dragging 70 lb congers out of wreaks mate ?

Fin-nor. Had a couple for 6-7 years, hard used on tuna and AJ`s in FV and simply can`t break them.
Which models? I have looked at them, but they seem quite cheap. I know cheap doesn’t always mean bad, maybe they’ve just managed to get it right.

Power areo tough beasts great for casting and can handle the boat if you want a smaller reel I’d take a look at the pen conflict great for beach but will handle boat work as well a mate took one to Norway and never missed a beat I’d pick these two because they can cast real well but will orso handle boat work as long as your not skull dragging 70 lb congers out of wreaks mate ?
I’ve done a fair bit of research on the power aero and I am tempted. Everything I’ve read and watched say they are tough, but they just look like a carp reel to me. Maybe I need to try and get my hands on one. I’m not desperate, which means I can take my time and make the right choice.
I’d be looking at nothing bigger than tope, spurdogs and hounds. I like the idea that that seem pretty impervious to water ingress, which would suit someone like me, who doesn’t really look after his gear. I could just run it under a tap after a session.

I’ve done a fair bit of research on the power aero and I am tempted. Everything I’ve read and watched say they are tough, but they just look like a carp reel to me. Maybe I need to try and get my hands on one. I’m not desperate, which means I can take my time and make the right choice.
I’d be looking at nothing bigger than tope, spurdogs and hounds. I like the idea that that seem pretty impervious to water ingress, which would suit someone like me, who doesn’t really look after his gear. I could just run it under a tap after a session.
My mate runs with 3 of them and recently done a 4 days in the trot up on the reefs in the Bristol Channel land some decent hounds conga and rays and that area will test your gear and he never had any issues I bought one recently only used it once but am very impressed so far the lay line is stunning and the drags sets in a quick turn not cheap but worth the money mate

My mate runs with 3 of them and recently done a 4 days in the trot up on the reefs in the Bristol Channel land some decent hounds conga and rays and that area will test your gear and he never had any issues I bought one recently only used it once but am very impressed so far the lay line is stunning and the drags sets in a quick turn not cheap but worth the money mate
Totally agree fantastic reels mine is loaded up with 30lb braid and 100lb braid leader ,its a reel you can take and use anywhere ,very smooth ,highly recommend

Which models? I have looked at them, but they seem quite cheap. I know cheap doesn’t always mean bad, maybe they’ve just managed to get it right.

Megalight 4000, use it for the bonito and bluefish and the Spinfish 5000 for AJ`s. They aint daft prices just a Florida Co. that now gets them made China. Still can`t break them. Ask Russ, he had my 4000 down there for service or something and he was impressed.

Ive both Power Aeros and Aero Techniums. PA are Half the price but not half the reel only 30grams heavier than AT's line coils are half but line lay is flat and comes of perfectly fine and often too fine a line lay isn't always so go as can cause line to bunch as beds down side of other coils.
Body is stiffer than AT's.
Forget running under taps as that just puts water where don't want it to be! But get some ACF50 give reels a good wiping over with some on a rag leave for a while so dries then when get water/moisture/cack on them it just runs off! can use on tripod also then once in a while give them a re wipe my Fathoms look as good as day got and never wash them

Another reel that we've hammered the crap out of is the Okuma Trio rex had some decent congers etc on it plus been used for feathering and 8 n bait etc it never got washed or anything! it went to kids fishing charity as good as day got! Surprising reel.
Ive the Salt version selling as have the Shimano's i'd have kept if had two.

Totally agree fantastic reels mine is loaded up with 30lb braid and 100lb braid leader ,its a reel you can take and use anywhere ,very smooth ,highly recommend
Which model do you own. There’s the XTB and the XSB. They seem to be the same reel, just different colours, though the weights are different.

Ive both Power Aeros and Aero Techniums. PA are Half the price but not half the reel only 30grams heavier than AT's line coils are half but line lay is flat and comes of perfectly fine and often too fine a line lay isn't always so go as can cause line to bunch as beds down side of other coils.
Body is stiffer than AT's.
Forget running under taps as that just puts water where don't want it to be! But get some ACF50 give reels a good wiping over with some on a rag leave for a while so dries then when get water/moisture/cack on them it just runs off! can use on tripod also then once in a while give them a re wipe my Fathoms look as good as day got and never wash them
I’m a left handed caster and reel in with the handle on the right. I take these reels are ambidextrous like most fixed spool.

I’m a left handed caster and reel in with the handle on the right. I take these reels are ambidextrous like most fixed spool.
Yep handles fix on normal side and Cack handed/ @Chalton homo side! Phaaaa now go wash your mouth out! Should be tortured until can use normally!:D

There both same just ones "Hey i'm Hidden in the Bushes Carpy Black"
Most likely would prefer the XSC as spool edge is gold not sure if titanium nitrided?
Mind if have the black one will have Carpy types giving you the nod nod wink wink and expect you to share the Gunja

Well, while I was still wondering what to do, my mate put his pair of hardly used Bullseyes up for sale.

So that’s me sorted. ?

Back