• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fixed spool reel size

Reevsey

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all . Ive recently purchased a AFAW Bass pro rod and intend to use it with a fixed spool . Being a multiplyer user 90% of my fishing life im not sure what size fixed spool reel to match it with . Im looking at the spinfisher series from penn because i like the idea of the live liner feature but would the 4500 or 6500 best suit the rod . Rods gonna be used for multiple situations from fluff chucking to live baiting .Any input would be very much appreciated.

Hi all . Ive recently purchased a AFAW Bass pro rod and intend to use it with a fixed spool . Being a multiplyer user 90% of my fishing life im not sure what size fixed spool reel to match it with . Im looking at the spinfisher series from penn because i like the idea of the live liner feature but would the 4500 or 6500 best suit the rod . Rods gonna be used for multiple situations from fluff chucking to live baiting .Any input would be very much appreciated.

Nice rod Reevsey, and I would think the Spinfisher would be a good choice. I'd go for the 4500, but I'm probably one of the least experienced on here for advice. Thought I saw a good offer on Spinfishers recently - if I can find it, I'll report back. 👍👍

Nice rod Reevsey, and I would think the Spinfisher would be a good choice. I'd go for the 4500, but I'm probably one of the least experienced on here for advice. Thought I saw a good offer on Spinfishers recently - if I can find it, I'll report back. 👍👍

Think this was the one, it says £127.95 (19% off):

As a comparison, best I could find on eBay is £139.99:

Veals £143.99, Active outlet £136.00, West Bay angling centre £139.99.

Last edited:
Check the weight of the reel before buying as the spinfishers are not the lightest of reels out there.
I've got a 4500 love liner that I use for anything up to 4oz off the beach and just about anything off a boat, it's held up fine for the fishing I've done with it (not a lot), I've probably aused it about 20-30 times in total and it hasn't missed a beat, had rays up to 8-9lb (uptiding) and Pollack up to 12lb (wrecking) on it and the drag handled them absolutely fine.
My only criticism is the handle is absolutely tiny (length) so feels like your reeling a 20lb lead in when there's a 2oz lead on the end, I swapped the handle for a longer one after my first attempt at using it and it feels absolutely amazing, I think the longer one was about 1/2" longer and took about 20 mins to modify and fit.
They're great reels but I'd definitely make sure you have a look at one in person before parting with any cash, ideally trying it out would be the best bet if you could.

It's a shame your so far away, I'd say you could try mine with both handles and see what you think. The closest I'll be will be Brixham or Torbay in sept.

Thanks for your research Trampster and Craig for your review . Can i ask what handle you put on it ?

It was an old akios handle from a Scora that I used, wasn't alot longer but made the world of difference.
There is a thread on here somewhere from a few years ago with the pictures and what I did to make it fit.

I use a penn fierce 5000 on mine for wrasseing and rough ground and a 5500 ultragrea for clean ground both reels balance lovely with the rod a liveliners a good shout but be aware the spinfisher gear altho bombproof is heavy not how that whould work alongside the rod altho tbh if your useing it for it’s intended purpose you chould probably get away with the 45oo live liner that whould work seeet I recon bey 👍👍

Cheers for the info Tats . Think it will be the 4500 i go for . West bay angling have them in stock so might take rod up there and see how balanced it feels .

OK . I'll have a look mate . Looking forward to getting the rod . Think its gonna be a usefull bit of kit for alot of situations

OK . I'll have a look mate . Looking forward to getting the rod . Think its gonna be a usefull bit of kit for alot of situations
The pony express running late then Reevsey.... 🤣

Ian.

I take it the rod is the one Gary (Chalton) sold mate. ?

Ian.

Back