• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

fixed spool reel to use with a conti rod

jackjock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
A friend of mine wants a decent light fixed spool reel to use on his new conti rods , he wants some thing smaller than his 8000 okuma , any recommendations thanks.

A friend of mine wants a decent light fixed spool reel to use on his new conti rods
I'm sure tourny will be along soon to point you in the right direction.Shimano Ultegra 5500 XSD/XTD would be my choice.The 3500 XSD is also an option,holds 200mtrs of .20mm Mono.You could go thinner with Braid so it would hold more on the spool.Wouldn't have thought a man of your experience would need outside help.(y)

Last edited:
I'm sure tourny will be along soon to point you in the right direction.Shimano Ultegra 5500 XSD/XTD would be my choice.The 3500 XSD is also an option,holds 200mtrs of .20mm Mono.You could go thinner with Braid so it would hold more on the spool.Wouldn't have thought a man of your experience would need outside help.(y)
I dont need out side help i,m asking for a friend for opinions from people who fish with conti rods with fixed spool reels because i dont fish with such gear.

I use either a Penn Surfblaser II or a Mitchell Blue water RZ8000 on my conti rod but both are not really lighter or smaller than the Okuma your mate already has so can't offer much help. I would have thought the distance afforded by casting with a conti rod, you'd need a reel around an 8000 for line capacity. I was also going to mention when you first posted, it depends very much on your mate's budget.

What's a conti rod.?
Continental rod.. usually longer, lighter and slimmer than our traditional beachcasters. Often paired with fixed spools and braid for sending out delicate baits a long distance without breaking the bait originally.
But have many other uses

Continental rod.. usually longer, lighter and slimmer than our traditional beachcasters. Often paired with fixed spools and braid for sending out delicate baits a long distance without breaking the bait originally.
But have many other uses
They sound like a lot of fun.

something to think about

Nice! Slightly cheaper at Veals:

Which is the latest model Silver or Black.
Both are current but there are differences.
On same seller on eBay, XT (silver one) is about £10 dearer than ST (Black).
Tronixpro RRP for XT is £79.99 Vs. ST at £59.99.
XT is 11 bearings Vs. ST which has 9.
XT comes with 2 spools Vs. ST which only has one.

So this ain't a bad deal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144087273569?epid=1683393527&hash=item218c455061:g:tMsAAOSwpINg1FvH

And I'm guessing the Black ones S/hand advertised as XT must be older models.

Since found the Tronixpro website with more info:

And.... The Tronixpro web page is written by Mike Thrussell Jnr - Isn't that the Mike that runs the forum? (*does more research*)

Ah! https://www.talkseafishing.co.uk/tronixpro-virtuoso-reels/

Last edited:
Back