• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Fixed Spool Reels for boat fishing ?

VooDooMan 2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So the question is in the title. For more years than I care to remember I have always used a multi for boat fishing and always enjoyed using them for all types of boat fishing and until recently have also used them on the beach but switched to FS on the beach a couple of years ago. In lots of fishing videos I have looked at during lock down I notice that many anglers are using FS on the boat . First and foremost I'm looking for fellow anglers thoughts on the pro's and cons . Secondly for recommendations . I'm looking for something that would be suitable for using whilst drifting with shads and baited feathers off the Pembrokeshire coast and light at anchor bottom fishing in and around Milford Haven .
For those that already use FS reels for boat fishing do you use a specific type of rod and do you use braid ? Lots of questions I know but it looks like us Welsh anglers will have plenty of time to browse the internet for the foreseeable future .
Don't mind paying for quality , as I'm looking to buy once .
Look forward to reading your replies

I`ve used one for juvenile blufein (sub 120lb) in Croatia, white marlin in Portugal and amberjack to around 80 ish lb off Fuerteventura. Fin-nor have never let me down. You can go 3 times the price for Shimano but I`ve stuck Fin-nor for years. I just stick with a 12 or 20lb stand up on a tuna stick 6ft 6inch.

Last edited:
Can`t remember exact weight but approx. 350lb of bluefin on the other end. Possible it was a Penn reel, again memory. Was on a 6ft tuna stick

Attachments

• 23660272_10213536419501570_1061729362_o.jpg
    23660272_10213536419501570_1061729362_o.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4
I`ve used one for juvenile bluein (sub 130lb) in Croatia, white marlin in Portugal and amberjack to around 80 ish lb off Fuerteventura. Fin-nor have never let me down. You can go 3 times the price for Shimano but I`ve stuck Fin-nor for years. I just stick with a 12 or 20lb stand up on a tuna stick 6ft 6inch.
Thanks for that @stan m . I shall have a look at what's on offer .

I use them a hell of a lot, the only time I find a multiplier better is in deep water in a fast tide as it gives a better tell when you hit the bottom, however if you use a baitrunner it works much the same, as for reels the shimano oceanic is a good one as they are made for American boat anglers, I have a couple myself and find them very good , 8000 size.

I use them a hell of a lot, the only time I find a multiplier better is in deep water in a fast tide as it gives a better tell when you hit the bottom, however if you use a baitrunner it works much the same, as for reels the shimano oceanic is a good one as they are made for American boat anglers, I have a couple myself and find them very good , 8000 size.
A very interesting reply . Why ? I already have the 6000 and the 8000 for my shore fishing and since switching to them I have really enjoyed using them . really like the bait runner option which is great when I'm fishing my local surf beach and you have to move back quite quickly with the flood tide . As for using on the boat I'm a bit doubtful as to the straight lifting power required :unsure: I have had a look at Shimano's own website and they make no mention of suitability for boat fishing . Must admit it would be great if I could use them with confidence it would certainly save me a few £s.

I've been using Quantum Cabo 80s with braid for all my shore (Norfolk/Suffolk beaches, Anglesey rock marks) and boat fishing (uptide) this year, absolutely solid reels and really smooth. I've got fin nor lethals but not that impressed with them and also have some of the fin nor offshores which are really nice reels, abit on the heavy side but feel amazingly solid.
My favourite setup for the past few years has been a Quantum Throttle 50, 30lb Chinese braid and a 20-50g Penn spinning rod for drifting reefs and also for some amazing sport catching smooth hounds though, I've even had Thornbacks upto about 9-10lb on occasions which it managed to handle, just.
I tend to take the spinning rod everywhere I go and always find a use for it, when boat fishing it's always my go to setup if I don't need weighs over 6Oz, I even use it as a light uptider sometimes as it makes the fishing alot more fun when there's only dabs or whiting about.

I tend to use FS for uptiding as they're so much easier to cast. For downtide I use multi's.

As for using on the boat I'm a bit doubtful as to the straight lifting power required :unsure:
Not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, but if you pump and wind you'll take most of the cranking load off the reel, so the question of straight lifting power shouldn't come into it. Pump the fish and just use the reel for line recovery. Just make sure the reel has a decent drag, correctly set.

A very interesting reply . Why ? I already have the 6000 and the 8000 for my shore fishing and since switching to them I have really enjoyed using them . really like the bait runner option which is great when I'm fishing my local surf beach and you have to move back quite quickly with the flood tide . As for using on the boat I'm a bit doubtful as to the straight lifting power required :unsure: I have had a look at Shimano's own website and they make no mention of suitability for boat fishing . Must admit it would be great if I could use them with confidence it would certainly save me a few £s.
sure I read that's what they were aimed at but could well be mistaken, as for suitability I have no reservations about using them on the boat, been using them for a few years now and no issues. as andy says pump and wind if needed. I use on uptide ,downtide and float fishing rods.

For the Scottish east coast boat fishing, drifting over rough ground, I used a light uptide rod and Shimano 8000 oc baitrunner for years. That outfit pulled plenty of cod and ling to double figures but was sporting enough to have fun with pollack.

If the drift was slower a heavy spinning rod with a Shimano 6000 baitrunner oc worked well for spinning, driftlining rag and sandeel baits and occasionally float fishing.

Great reels those Shimano Oceanics! Despite saltwater use and very little maintenance they are now my main reels for carp and silure in the rivers of France.

Carp scaled Sept 20.jpg

Last edited:
Back