• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Flattie fiddling

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After digging these yesterday...

C8253E6C-E23F-403F-A4C0-E106DD18FA9F.jpeg

... set off down the Taw estuary with a mate to try and tempt a mighty flounder or two.

We made the long but mostly level walk to the mark and noted there was a lot of water in the river. At low tide. ?

Lots of fresh water is never good but we set up on the low tide area and began fishing while waiting for the flood.

4C411FD8-6284-44BE-B4F2-A3D7C8F01816.jpeg

It was a bit quiet to start with and another friend turned up further up, so I wandered off for a chat.
On returning I discovered Chris had landed w nice day flounder of about 1lb 4 and a postage stamp.
He had several of these. Here’s one trying to figure out which way freedom is...

3F46F2BE-8760-4BDE-884A-0B0491282D46.jpeg

I finally had one, half the size of a keeper and then we spread out a bit more as we picked spots we fancied.

Chris moved downriver and I moved up a bit so as to climb up on to the bank behind.
Fishing was slow, probably due to the freshwater rushing down.
We had the odd small one here and there, and Chris was pestered by schoolies up to about 12oz.

Waiting for fish on the bank...

6E776FC6-64FC-423C-AF12-C9927A5CFD93.jpeg

At high tide I thought I had a decent one, but it transpired it was a double shot of modest fish...

F41356A5-4ACC-4581-A54D-E4D45E577F5F.jpeg

I was starting to get a few more, but all small stuff, like this begger...

49B6C532-C82F-4AEE-9AFD-0497A7A4AE84.jpeg

In the end we decided it was time to admit defeat. Pulling out tiddlers gets a bit tedious and can also lead to more deep hooked fish for no good reason.

I had six small ones up to about 10/12oz and Chris had a few more I believe, but only the one good keeper. My other mate had around six too, best about a pound I believe.

The weather is not looking kind for the rest of the week so it looks as if more estuary adventures are unlikely for the foreseeable, but I’ll be back!

Nice bag of flats there bey dropper always wangled Sumin our done he ma Bute
Cheers mate, yep he always winkles something out. The fact he had that in the first hour, I thought we’d bag up as the tide flooded, but all three of us struggled.

Freshwater is a killer for estuaries. Chris said the Taw was another two foot higher and brown on his way home, obviously a lot running off the fields ☹️☹️☹️

well done me lord flattie findler, lovely photos mate, love the folk in the mud
Lol, bit of a random shot to be fair. Think I’d just borrowed the fork for a wade and a poke, then we got chatting so stuck it in the mud and took a photo, also randomly ??‍♂️

After digging these yesterday...

View attachment 715

... set off down the Taw estuary with a mate to try and tempt a mighty flounder or two.

We made the long but mostly level walk to the mark and noted there was a lot of water in the river. At low tide. ?

Lots of fresh water is never good but we set up on the low tide area and began fishing while waiting for the flood.

View attachment 716

It was a bit quiet to start with and another friend turned up further up, so I wandered off for a chat.
On returning I discovered Chris had landed w nice day flounder of about 1lb 4 and a postage stamp.
He had several of these. Here’s one trying to figure out which way freedom is...

View attachment 717

I finally had one, half the size of a keeper and then we spread out a bit more as we picked spots we fancied.

Chris moved downriver and I moved up a bit so as to climb up on to the bank behind.
Fishing was slow, probably due to the freshwater rushing down.
We had the odd small one here and there, and Chris was pestered by schoolies up to about 12oz.

Waiting for fish on the bank...

View attachment 718

At high tide I thought I had a decent one, but it transpired it was a double shot of modest fish...

View attachment 719

I was starting to get a few more, but all small stuff, like this begger...

View attachment 720

In the end we decided it was time to admit defeat. Pulling out tiddlers gets a bit tedious and can also lead to more deep hooked fish for no good reason.

I had six small ones up to about 10/12oz and Chris had a few more I believe, but only the one good keeper. My other mate had around six too, best about a pound I believe.

The weather is not looking kind for the rest of the week so it looks as if more estuary adventures are unlikely for the foreseeable, but I’ll be back!

Great report and nice photos Mr Fishy! If you keep 'fiddling' like that, someone may buy you a Violin for Christmas! ???

We used a straightened out congerline hook on the end of a stick instead of a fork lol

Cheers mate, yep he always winkles something out. The fact he had that in the first hour, I thought we’d bag up as the tide flooded, but all three of us struggled.

Freshwater is a killer for estuaries. Chris said the Taw was another two foot higher and brown on his way home, obviously a lot running off the fields ☹️☹️☹️
Yeah, freshwater is a real killer for me here as well. The longer without rain in the mountains , the better the fishing is. Well done though, you had a few. whilst you could. Loads of weather coming from the South west is going to bugger it right up

Yeah, freshwater is a real killer for me here as well. The longer without rain in the mountains , the better the fishing is. Well done though, you had a few. whilst you could. Loads of weather coming from the South west is going to bugger it right up
Yep, we don't want all this wind and rain, so we're sending it your way! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Gotta take Wifeys C-max skateboard for MOT after lunch, and should it fail, I'm gonna be stuck in Cornwall, in this weather! ??

Yes this rain is messing things up, I want to chase bass, and know where I can get my next double from but , this will have to wait for the big tides to flush the fresh water out of the system.

Great report and pics, looks another lovely spot you have to fish, well done on the tiddlers.
That looks a hefty amount of worm you've dug too!!

Great report and pics, looks another lovely spot you have to fish, well done on the tiddlers.
That looks a hefty amount of worm you've dug too!!
Cheers! Ah, it was only about half a pound but an hour’s digging is about my limit and tbh that’s enough for most sessions.
Some people dig loads more. Probably too much but then if they go back on another day, that’s fair enough

Back