• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East Flatties

flappy

Reaction score
World Sea Fishing Forums banner

World Sea Fishing Forums

flappyfish

Findhorn report....​

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

[IMG alt="flappyfish"]https://www.worldseafishing.com/d3/avatars/m/84/84497.jpg?1478160654[/IMG]

flappyfish

·

Registered​

Joined Jan 7, 2014
·
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 18 h ago

...got to the beach for the first time in 18 months....forgot my bait fork...because I was going to dig some maddies and ragworm for bait...mind you I didn’t see any casts so never mind. I did remember some squid and macky though...so all good...
I arrived earlyish..just at slack water...just a few dog walkers about...and set up...four ounce barrel leads...two hook flappers..and away I went..
Must’ve done it in a rush..because I didn’t put the line under the bale arm on one rod...:rolleyes:
Baited up..macky on both...and actually took the time to put it on properly..and put the elastic on.....usually I only have about two hours to fish..:oops:but I had all day..so I took my time.:love:
Tide was just starting to flood...windy and a fair bit of surf..but only about three degrees.
I had put my waders on..which turned out to be a good idea.
Fifteen minutes or so later..one rod starts to nod..tap tap...not knowing much about this sea fishing lark..I just left it...thinking that it was just the waves...then a good pull down..so I reeled it in...what I felt was a decent weight..but not much fight...I was using a pair of carp rods..so lighter than my beachcasters..as I beached it..it was a massive clod of kelp and weed..so I swore a little..and reeled a bit harder....then I saw something that flapped about....oohh..fish I thought...haven’t caught one of them in twenty odd trips..?
Turned out to be a decent size flounder...about two pound...so I smacked it with a priest and put it in a plastic bag.
Baited up both rods again..and had another smoke.
As the day went on..I watched some people..and a nutter who got undressed and went swimming...?...and a good looking woman who came and spoke to me..quite a hottie.....?
When she left I realised that I had my flies open...?
I chased a dog around the beach for a while...and shouted all sorts of rude words at it...because it had nicked my bait knife...thankfully the owners were understanding..and American...:rolleyes:
Had another two flatties...but smaller ones so they went back...
Later on the left hand rod really pulled down hard...then started to kite along the beach...so I picked it up and started the fight.....(y)..it was heavy..but wasn’t weed..as it kept pulling and kiting along the beach..but I couldn’t lift it off the seabed...it was about fifty yards out..I reckoned that it was a ray or something like that..but never having caught one before.. I wasn’t sure.
I was standing on a sandbar... with a deep gulley behind me..about 80 yards long..and as I played the fish..the tide cut me off from the beach..just me on the sand bar...with the fish in front of me....about ten minutes into playing the thing..I was knee deep in water...the tripod starting to list over..and my chair..weighted down with my fishing gear..looking a little bit forlorn.....
...so I undid the bale arm...picked up the chair and tripod..and waded back the thirty yards back to dry land....and continued to play it....really leaning back into it as it kited around....you have probably seen what happened next...it just lay on top of the sand bar..that was about it...refusing to move.
So off I go..wading out to it...water coming over the tops of my thigh waders...:oops:...until I got to see it...a large lobster pot..full of pebbles..with a two foot square pallet attached to the bottom of it....oh joy.
Then I got grumpy and went home

Great report and nice flounder, sounds like a fun session ?

Well done, normally have a try for flounder about, now into december but the River Nith has been in flood for months and I normally fish at Gelncaple which doesn't fish brilliant with too much fresh water.
We do enjoy a bit of flounder for tea.

Nice report. Sounds like you had an eventful session. I'm also partial to a nice plump flounder this time of year and hope you enjoy your meal.

Nice report. Sounds like you had an eventful session. I'm also partial to a nice plump flounder this time of year and hope you enjoy your meal.
....and I forgot...at about 5 o’clock...I thought I would clean the big fish I caught at at 9 am..the one in the plastic bag ..:)..so i I fetched it..and put the bag next to the sink.
Got myself a beer..found the chopping board and the knife...and waited for my son’s girlfriend to fill the kettle...she screamed loudly as the plastic bag started to flap around...?:rolleyes:
I looked into the bag..and the flounder was still breathing..some eight hours after I had killed it.
I thought if it had endured that it deserved to live...so I walked to the sea...and placed the fish in the water...It breathed for a minute or two..and swam away...(y)

There's s follow up story about how he didn't eat it.! ?

There's s follow up story about how he didn't eat it.! ?
Which flappys just posted while I was typing.

Now I could be wrong but I reckon that could be one of the little piers I mentioned to you. The floating pontoon part being a new addition. The old boy was dropping his Kipper bait roughly at its corner.
Quite right .warby...it’s the Georgian pier from the 1700’s.....looking out to the lost village at Culbin Sands.

Back