• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Flotation suit (or beach shelter?!)

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Afternoon all

Looking round at possible alternatives for not freezing my proverbials off this winter.
Was looking at possible beach shelters and/or a flotation suit!
(I had never heard of these suits before, but reading up about them, the marketing bumf says that one would definitely help keep me warmer than toast, catch more fish, attract Miss World-types, be more successful in life in general, be happier overall and live to at least 200 years old! Whilst also looking like I work part time on a trawler, lifeboat or in a nuclear power station)

I've got a bit of brass from ebay put aside, which as always, burns a hole in my pocket.

A beach shelter/brolly would keep me, the young one and my kit dry and sheltered.
A flotation suit would keep me warm, but not my kit.
I have my old brolly which would stand up to a moderate wind.

Flotation suits.
- Would like a Fladen suit, but would probably have to settle for something cheaper like a FISHEAGLE EXPERT MK11 FLOTATION SUIT.
Got my old waterproofs, which would be ok from spring onwards...

Shelters.
- A whole world of confusion, but I have found a Ian Golds BIGALOO, bit out of my price range, but could sell some internal organs to keep me and the bairn sheltered in a hooly! Or, just use my Korum brolly until it blows away into the North Sea.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

How far you walking...?
Worth considering off rocks a short walk from car.
Beach..? Layers, marino wool, bib and brace and jacket. Go for sailing kit not fishing, Gill, Musto etc, loads of s/h bargains, yachties dont like last years colours.

How steep is beach, if your moving all the time forget the shelter.

Best thing I ever invested in was a full Musto suit. Big outlay initially but I've had a massive return on that investment. Mines still going strong and has been faultless since 2009. Never needed to machine wash it as it gets hosed down along with all the tackle at the end of each session. Layered up, I've worn it in the Cairngorms, Shetland etc in the very worst of winter weather. The protection it gives from foul weather is simply unmatched - 100% dry and draught free, excellent pockets, truly breathable and easy to ventilate. I dare say the top end offerings from Henri Lloyd, Gill, HH etc are equally as good. Shop around and youll find the Marine outlets have older colours/previous seasons models at vastly reduced prices. I've a choice of PFDs to wear on top when necessary ie wading, rocks, boat etc. My Fladden floaty only gets used for sitting on open tractors/quad bikes in the winter. Walk far in a floaty and you'll know all about it!

EDIT - There's a recent post on shelters brollies etc. I have no use for them personally, but I fully understand that with kids in tow it can be a different matter! A base camp would give them something to gravitate to, a place to cook and hunker down in when it goes shitty

Last edited:
I’ve got one of these, can’t be bothered with shelters and brollies personally.

Unfortunately they only ever seem to have large in stock. I’ve owned a few floaties and I find this one very good.

Hello Mr Fish
That does look a good deal.
With your suit, do you find the sizings realistic/accurate?
I am drawn more towards a two-piece suit, as I am tall and skinny.
A large (if the sizes are true to life) would be maybe not too big, with layers beneath...

Best thing I ever invested in was a full Musto suit. Big outlay initially but I've had a massive return on that investment. Mines still going strong and has been faultless since 2009. Never needed to machine wash it as it gets hosed down along with all the tackle at the end of each session. Layered up, I've worn it in the Cairngorms, Shetland etc in the very worst of winter weather. The protection it gives from foul weather is simply unmatched - 100% dry and draught free, excellent pockets, truly breathable and easy to ventilate. I dare say the top end offerings from Henri Lloyd, Gill, HH etc are equally as good. Shop around and youll find the Marine outlets have older colours/previous seasons models at vastly reduced prices. I've a choice of PFDs to wear on top when necessary ie wading, rocks, boat etc. My Fladden floaty only gets used for sitting on open tractors/quad bikes in the winter. Walk far in a floaty and you'll know all about it!

EDIT - There's a recent post on shelters brollies etc. I have no use for them personally, but I fully understand that with kids in tow it can be a different matter! A base camp would give them something to gravitate to, a place to cook and hunker down in when it goes shitty
Hello Topwater
Just been looking at Musto website, it does look top notch gear.
(Didn't realise that there was specific gear for ocean sailing, doesn't look a poor man's sport!)
Proper well designed and well made.
As you say, an investment that pays for itself with time/use.
That was my post about brollies and shelters.
Probably won't be taking the youngster if the weather looks catastrophically bad, but a brolly/shelter does make bad days better.
Cheers (y)

Never ever a floatation suit.
Too bulky
Too heavy
Too much like a tea bag when it comes to keeping you dry.

Been there, done that.

Warm means layers.
Dry means goretex or oilskins.

Comfort means a shelter/brolly

Don't make the mistakes the rest of us did.
Save your hard earned £££
👍

I don’t like a full suit , I have bib and brace bottoms and a thermal coat , when it’s hot you can at least take off the coat or trousers, and I got a tent as well , the tent is ok for showers etc on somewhere like chesil, but at the end of the day it all needs carrying

Hello Topwater
Just been looking at Musto website, it does look top notch gear.
(Didn't realise that there was specific gear for ocean sailing, doesn't look a poor man's sport!)
Proper well designed and well made.
As you say, an investment that pays for itself with time/use.
That was my post about brollies and shelters.
Probably won't be taking the youngster if the weather looks catastrophically bad, but a brolly/shelter does make bad days better.
Cheers (y)
Plenty of quality 2nd hand musto on the bay.
Mpx and lpx sallopettes and jacket £100 . I use those for work.
Hpx sallopettes and smock £180 that I use for Norway.
I tend to grab any mpx,hpx or lpx if it's going cheap. It's quality gear that works.
Trouble is at work, it can get ripped.

Never ever a floatation suit.
Too bulky
Too heavy
Too much like a tea bag when it comes to keeping you dry.

Been there, done that.

Warm means layers.
Dry means goretex or oilskins.

Comfort means a shelter/brolly

Don't make the mistakes the rest of us did.
Save your hard earned £££
👍
Thanks Shirleycodlin

Good food for thought (y)

Hello Mr Fish
A large (if the sizes are true to life) would be maybe not too big, with layers beneath...
Erm, I’m medium sized at best, 5ft 9 allegedly, so a large is a bit big on me, the legs are too long and lots of room around the body lol. Even with two jumpers underneath.
Then again in the past I’ve found a medium in other suits a bit snug - would rather a bit too big than a bit too small.

Not way long, but I have to use the adjustable straps to tighten it to my ankle otherwise the leg drops below my boots.
But that’s another good thing about it, is it has Velcro ankle and wrist straps so you can make a snug fit, plus a belt so you can take in any extra slack.

That said, depends how tall you are? Might need an XL but at online at least they’re not offering any other sizes.
Could be worth calling them to chat and ask their opinion, give your height or ask if they have any other sizes in stock, you never know.

I find it a very good suit though. VERY warm and really only gets worn when the temps drop into single figures.
Loads of useful pockets and straps and more or less waterproof though constant heavy rain for hours will seep in eventually, but I’ve had that with every floatie I’ve ever owned.
Still don’t get soaked through but will have a slight damp patch on my back etc if the rain is very bad.
Since it’s at body temp I don’t usually even notice it until I take the suit off.

I suppose worst case you could get one and send it back if it doesn’t fit, but that’s a faff, I appreciate.

The other point is, if you do fall in, it could save your life, or at least give you a fighting chance.

Hello Mr Fish
these suits are not in stock told water damage ? told this morning when phoning up for one

Just to chuck my 10 penn'orth worth in, I've got the Fladen flotation suit small bib and braces medium jacket I'm 5ft 8" and around 11 stone happy with the fit I can have a fleece on when it's really cold. I don't find it heavy or bulky it's warm windproof and very waterproof tried and tested 👍I fish a high mark and as Mr Fish says it may just save my life if I fall in. I don't walk far from the car but it would be warm on a hike I do unzip the jacket when walking on warmer days which is a rare thing 😁

Just to chuck my 10 penn'orth worth in, I've got the Fladen flotation suit small bib and braces medium jacket I'm 5ft 8" and around 11 stone happy with the fit I can have a fleece on when it's really cold. I don't find it heavy or bulky it's warm windproof and very waterproof tried and tested 👍I fish a high mark and as Mr Fish says it may just save my life if I fall in. I don't walk far from the car but it would be warm on a hike I do unzip the jacket when walking on warmer days which is a rare thing 😁
Fladen suits have always been pretty good.
I had a one piece years ago before going over to two piece and it was quite good, but just wore out in the end.

I’ve only ever owned three in my fishing career tbh, that Fladen, a Penn two piece I had forever and now the Mullion.

Fladen are spot on.
I need a new one as I left mine somewhere🙄🤣
TBH I could count on one hand how many people I’ve seen using a shelter up on the north east coast.
Most beaches have quite a bit of tidal range so either a long walk from it to the water or constantly moving it.
Just take what you need in a daysack or small box and hang it from your tripod on beaches.

Ps if you’re wanting to join Seaham club next year drop me a pm Johnny lad👍

Back