• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

France - Sea Bass - lure fishing

Stof

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi All,

Spending my August in France on the West Coast - or is it the North coast!!?? Never fished in France before! Anyone done some bass fishing with lures in that part of the world? Any thoughts on what to expect and tips?

Stof

Good luck with trip, seems to be tiddlers, so may need some fresh bait.

We go over to Brittany quite often, but I have only fished over there twice. Not serious attempts, and no local knowledge, so blanked.

Good luck Stof - look forward to a report or any updates. 🎣🎣👍👍

Hi All,

Spending my August in France on the West Coast - or is it the North coast!!?? Never fished in France before! Anyone done some bass fishing with lures in that part of the world? Any thoughts on what to expect and tips?

Stof
The West and North coasts of France cover a huge area so I’m not sure where you are headed.! I was in Brittany a few weeks ago and fished the river Odet estuary close to Benodet. Predictably it was stuffed with mullet but I did manage a few schoolies on surface lures and spoke to a German fly fisherman who had taken a few decent bass of up to 50cms sight fishing in the various offshoot tidal creeks with a crab imitation. Whenever I’m in France I always buy the monthly French sea angling magazines (they are excellent by the way, with far more useful advice in my opinion than Sea Angler but you do of course need to be able to understand French) however I can confirm that there are always plenty of articles that cover lure fishing for bass and other species, so tactics and lures that work in the U.K. will be fine in France and of course there are more bass over there because the water is warmer. Any estuaries in Brittany would be productive and of course the numerous rock marks of that Department. Much of the West coast south of Brittany comprises open Atlantic surf beaches so perhaps not so productive with lures but interspersed are plenty of rocky areas and of course the islands of Oleron or the Ile de Re are both fantastic for bass as is the Gulf of Morbihan in Brittany. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Love Benodet and the Gulf of Morbihan, just stunning places with more marks available to fish than you could ever manage in one lifetime.

Just had a look to try to remember where we went, and I dangled a lure for an hour or two.
It was Audierne to the West of Quimper.
Lovely clean estuary with a pavement alongside all the way out to a beach on the Right.
Blanked, but we have been there a couple of times and had some good food. Nice place, and plenty of free parking.

1689932267903.png

The West and North coasts of France cover a huge area so I’m not sure where you are headed.! I was in Brittany a few weeks ago and fished the river Odet estuary close to Benodet. Predictably it was stuffed with mullet but I did manage a few schoolies on surface lures and spoke to a German fly fisherman who had taken a few decent bass of up to 50cms sight fishing in the various offshoot tidal creeks with a crab imitation. Whenever I’m in France I always buy the monthly French sea angling magazines (they are excellent by the way, with far more useful advice in my opinion than Sea Angler but you do of course need to be able to understand French) however I can confirm that there are always plenty of articles that cover lure fishing for bass and other species, so tactics and lures that work in the U.K. will be fine in France and of course there are more bass over there because the water is warmer. Any estuaries in Brittany would be productive and of course the numerous rock marks of that Department. Much of the West coast south of Brittany comprises open Atlantic surf beaches so perhaps not so productive with lures but interspersed are plenty of rocky areas and of course the islands of Oleron or the Ile de Re are both fantastic for bass as is the Gulf of Morbihan in Brittany. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks! Very helpful! Starting off on I’ll de Re so good to see it mentioned! Will be sending reports!

Back