• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Friday night catch report

John Mitchell

Reaction score
After seeing the weather forecast for rain hitting plymouth about 8pm on Friday night I decided to get out for about 4pm to fish the tide up ,
high being 6.30 . So I got to the pier about 4pm and set up 2 rods with 2/0 pennel hooks using mackerel as bait , I also had £20 of lug for later on .The first rod was in the water by 4.30 no rush as it will not be dark until 5.30 .I sat on my box and watched the hoards of walkers with dogs kids etc up and down the pier , not one face mask in site .Where as I had my balaclava on ideal as no one would recognise me ?.I changed the washed out bait about 5pm and cast out a short distance as I know from previous times the whiting can be close in and whats the point of casting a long way when the fish are at your feet .
The only thing I can say is WOW what a night from the first whiting it was non stop I changed my hooks to a size 4/0 and bigger bits of mackerel and still they came I had to use just one rod after a little while I must have caught 20 odd whiting all eating size some close to 2lb some just over a pound , I kept 6 for Saturday lunch .
My plan was to fish until 6.30 high tide then move to another mark with my lug to target bass ,but I packed up at 6 as I was getting tired of catching big whiting ???.
So I packed up got back to the car and by 6.30 I was at my second mark to target bass , I knew the rain was forecast for 8pm so I had a couple of hours fishing I hope, unfortunately no one told the whiting not to follow me and the pouting also put in an appearance as well , so with both rods bouncing again it was coat and hat off , so I had 2 hours of non stop action and not a bass to be seen , I think the whiting and pouting were beating them to the lug, the bass sometimes come on the feed 2 hours after high , but 2 hours after high the rain had started to fall and I had run out of lug , so no bass caught ??. I can truly say that from about 5pm to 8.30 I did not have any quite time , it was a pain trying to eat my rolls and drink my piping hot tea , I had to go down to one rod again because as soon the bait hit the water the whiting were attacking the bait as it sunk , I was so hot i was steaming then I had to put my hat and coat on when the rain started so I was even hotter ????. So 8.30 the last bits of lug on and out it goes hoping for a last cast bass but no as soon as it settled bang another whiting, with the bait gone and the rain falling steadily now it was time for home .C2F71A20-F8EF-4F9D-92B8-4F97A3F28736.jpegED87FF39-A3FB-4B84-901B-932C71DDB312.jpeg865E44D6-8FDE-4827-9716-FDE17A18B7F8.jpeg

After seeing the weather forecast for rain hitting plymouth about 8pm on Friday night I decided to get out for about 4pm to fish the tide up ,
high being 6.30 . So I got to the pier about 4pm and set up 2 rods with 2/0 pennel hooks using mackerel as bait , I also had £20 of lug for later on .The first rod was in the water by 4.30 no rush as it will not be dark until 5.30 .I sat on my box and watched the hoards of walkers with dogs kids etc up and down the pier , not one face mask in site .Where as I had my balaclava on ideal as no one would recognise me ?.I changed the washed out bait about 5pm and cast out a short distance as I know from previous times the whiting can be close in and whats the point of casting a long way when the fish are at your feet .
The only thing I can say is WOW what a night from the first whiting it was non stop I changed my hooks to a size 4/0 and bigger bits of mackerel and still they came I had to use just one rod after a little while I must have caught 20 odd whiting all eating size some close to 2lb some just over a pound , I kept 6 for Saturday lunch .
My plan was to fish until 6.30 high tide then move to another mark with my lug to target bass ,but I packed up at 6 as I was getting tired of catching big whiting ???.
So I packed up got back to the car and by 6.30 I was at my second mark to target bass , I knew the rain was forecast for 8pm so I had a couple of hours fishing I hope, unfortunately no one told the whiting not to follow me and the pouting also put in an appearance as well , so with both rods bouncing again it was coat and hat off , so I had 2 hours of non stop action and not a bass to be seen , I think the whiting and pouting were beating them to the lug, the bass sometimes come on the feed 2 hours after high , but 2 hours after high the rain had started to fall and I had run out of lug , so no bass caught ??. I can truly say that from about 5pm to 8.30 I did not have any quite time , it was a pain trying to eat my rolls and drink my piping hot tea , I had to go down to one rod again because as soon the bait hit the water the whiting were attacking the bait as it sunk , I was so hot i was steaming then I had to put my hat and coat on when the rain started so I was even hotter ????. So 8.30 the last bits of lug on and out it goes hoping for a last cast bass but no as soon as it settled bang another whiting, with the bait gone and the rain falling steadily now it was time for home .View attachment 4871View attachment 4872View attachment 4873
Great catch report John - sounds like a real busy session! Shame no Bass about. Pulley pennel rigs? I've got to stamp my feet and get my rig making gear out again after I was ordered to do a Christmas clear up! ??

Back