• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Friday night catch report

John Mitchell

Reaction score
It was a late decision to go bait fishing Friday night as I thought I was going lure fishing on Thursday .
so Trampster had messaged me and I said I was going to my local mark he said if he could get bait he would come so after a quick call to southwest sea baits Friday he got some rag . I had arranged to get there for 6.30 to fish the ebb high was 5.40 , Dave got there early so he could catch the first fish ????. Then I got a text a couple of other guys turned up in my spot ??, loose lips sink ships ??.
so I got there at 6.30 Dave hadn’t caught any fish yet , no surprise there ??.I managed to find a space to fish , set up 2 rods with 2 hook rigs , using lug and rag yes £20 worth . It wasn’t long before I got my first fish a little pout so I am off the mark .I didn’t see the other 2 guys catch a fish all night . Then I got a shock Dave’s caught a pout WOW . AF495A2D-1F0D-4A3C-8232-770F0750F33A.jpeg,Dave caught 4 pout I think , well done mate .
I ended up catching about 15-20 pout a few chunky ones about a pound , I also had a strap about 2-3lb , but the surprise for me was the lack of bass I had one small one that’s all ,i think it was to calm . We packed up about 10.45 after the bait was all gone .It was a lovely still warm night , we need it a bit rough here .

John's beat me to it again! It was a good session - glad I made the effort to get out! I managed to phone up & secure some Ragworm at the last minute so thought that, even though John had said meet at 6.30, I'd get my Arse in Gear at 4pm as the bait shop was in the opposite direction to the mark, and all travelling would be through Friday rush hour traffic.

I got to the mark at 5.20, and whilst assembling Tripod, rods & reels, I spotted a couple of Lads about to retrieve a RIB, and I thought the boat looked familiar. Having asked, I was right - it was Joe PK, who is a school teacher about 25 miles East of here, and has a great Marine & Spearfishing channel on good ol' Youtube. It was really great to meet him and have a quick chat - I've watched a lot of his videos and some of his underwater footage is fantastic. I managed to get a photo of a couple of Bass they had caught offshore.

Joe PK Bass enh.jpg

Anyway, cracked on and got set up, and put a 3 hook flapper out baited with Rag. All was quiet and well - it was so warm I had to take my bodywarmer off! About half an hour later, 2 Anglers turned up in a pickup truck and proceeded to set up just above where John normally fishes. "Bugger" I thought, and sent John a message to tell him to get his Arse in gear!

Nothing much was happening on the fishing front - I didn't see the other 2 guys catch a thing all night either. John showed up and did mention going to another mark as there isn't a lot of room where we were, but then decided we could all manage so the rods came out & John got set up.
All night it was Pout, Pout, Pout, mostly John's! It was great to be out & catching though. The photo above in John's report is one he kindly took of what was probably my biggest Pout, and really, once you've seen one Pout, you've seen 'em all, but I did get a couple more photos.

Friday 19th Pout 1.jpg

Friday 19th Pout 2.jpg

Unfortunately, the Rig clip on the end of my shockleader must have come undone, and I lost a new rig I had made & the Lead halfway through the session, but luckily I had spares. The only other interruption to a very pleasant evenng's Dangling was 2 deafening explosions about 10mins apart which echoed around the buildings on the harbourside. No idea what they were - research needed later.

We had set a time of 10.30 to pack up but John was getting grumbly about not getting a Bass. "I never come to this mark without catching Bass" he was muttering! John was down to the bottom of his £20 worth of Rag & Lug, and right on cue, he pulled in a double shot of a Pout & a schoolie Bass! Happier Bunny! I said to him "You can't leave it there - gotta have one more cast"! I had 4 decent Rag left from my £6 worth, so donated 2 to John. No more Pout, although John did haul in a PB Weedfish! It was now, as John said 10.45 so time to pack up! As usual, John threw all of his gear in the boot of his car to sort out when he got home, and I was 10mins behind him as I like to get everything tidy & bagged before I leave.

Little bit of street racing for Jeepy and home in 22mins! Washed myself & rinsed off the reels, rigs and anything else that needed it, and generally tidied up. Poured a small glass of Spiced Rum, and made Sausage & Chorizo Baps for supper. Watched a bit of TV and eventually realised it was 2.30am so late to the nest, and late on parade this morning. Thanks again to John, it was a great night, and shirtsleeves on a mid November night was very pleasant. It's a shame nothing bigger showed up for either of us, but we were 'in it' and tried! ????

John's beat me to it again! It was a good session - glad I made the effort to get out! I managed to phone up & secure some Ragworm at the last minute so thought that, even though John had said meet at 6.30, I'd get my Arse in Gear at 4pm as the bait shop was in the opposite direction to the mark, and all travelling would be through Friday rush hour traffic.

I got to the mark at 5.20, and whilst assembling Tripod, rods & reels, I spotted a couple of Lads about to retrieve a RIB, and I thought the boat looked familiar. Having asked, I was right - it was Joe PK, who is a school teacher about 25 miles East of here, and has a great Marine & Spearfishing channel on good ol' Youtube. It was really great to meet him and have a quick chat - I've watched a lot of his videos and some of his underwater footage is fantastic. I managed to get a photo of a couple of Bass they had caught offshore.

View attachment 18215

Anyway, cracked on and got set up, and put a 3 hook flapper out baited with Rag. All was quiet and well - it was so warm I had to take my bodywarmer off! About half an hour later, 2 Anglers turned up in a pickup truck and proceeded to set up just above where John normally fishes. "Bugger" I thought, and sent John a message to tell him to get his Arse in gear!

Nothing much was happening on the fishing front - I didn't see the other 2 guys catch a thing all night either. John showed up and did mention going to another mark as there isn't a lot of room where we were, but then decided we could all manage so the rods came out & John got set up.
All night it was Pout, Pout, Pout, mostly John's! It was great to be out & catching though. The photo above in John's report is one he kindly took of what was probably my biggest Pout, and really, once you've seen one Pout, you've seen 'em all, but I did get a couple more photos.

View attachment 18217

View attachment 18218

Unfortunately, the Rig clip on the end of my shockleader must have come undone, and I lost a new rig I had made & the Lead halfway through the session, but luckily I had spares. The only other interruption to a very pleasant evenng's Dangling was 2 deafening explosions about 10mins apart which echoed around the buildings on the harbourside. No idea what they were - research needed later.

We had set a time of 10.30 to pack up but John was getting grumbly about not getting a Bass. "I never come to this mark without catching Bass" he was muttering! John was down to the bottom of his £20 worth of Rag & Lug, and right on cue, he pulled in a double shot of a Pout & a schoolie Bass! Happier Bunny! I said to him "You can't leave it there - gotta have one more cast"! I had 4 decent Rag left from my £6 worth, so donated 2 to John. No more Pout, although John did haul in a PB Weedfish! It was now, as John said 10.45 so time to pack up! As usual, John threw all of his gear in the boot of his car to sort out when he got home, and I was 10mins behind him as I like to get everything tidy & bagged before I leave.

Little bit of street racing for Jeepy and home in 22mins! Washed myself & rinsed off the reels, rigs and anything else that needed it, and generally tidied up. Poured a small glass of Spiced Rum, and made Sausage & Chorizo Baps for supper. Watched a bit of TV and eventually realised it was 2.30am so late to the nest, and late on parade this morning. Thanks again to John, it was a great night, and shirtsleeves on a mid November night was very pleasant. It's a shame nothing bigger showed up for either of us, but we were 'in it' and tried! ????
Great write up Dave a nice pleasant evening, close to home

Great report, well done. (y)

Ian.

You need to set your alarm on a Saturday Dave, its happening every week!! :)
Great catch report though
Thanks! John is usually home, quick bath, and gone to bed, whereas I've been a night Owl all my life, especially having worked nights for 25+ years. I get home, wash myself & all of my gear, make & eat some Supper, and chill out watching some TV!

Well done John n Dave. Should have told the others it was a local mark for local people!
I'm not sure if they were local or not - there was signwriting on their pickup truck but it was too far away to read it in the dark. They seemed to know the area, and it's not an easy one to find. First time I've ever seen anyone else there.

Back