• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Friday night catch report

John Mitchell

Reaction score
I met up with Trampster for a nice easy Friday night session on a nice flat pier , Dave was there before me with 2 rods sat in his rest just setting up , before he got his rods set up my 2 were in the water fishing , Dave realised he didn’t have any leads ?, so he borrowed 2 of mine , it wasn’t long before the pout started , 2 at a time so no blank for me , then Dave had a fish on it was fighting he had hooked a small pollack on his cod feathers which I laughed at ?,
Then he lost a set of gear and went down to one rod . However on one of my rods I stuck out a whole squid on size 4/0 hooks , I had 3 straps in between catching pout , the biggest strap was about 5lb we packed up at 9.15 high tide , FA3E7188-053F-4854-938D-3609D4788776.jpeg0BBF661E-CC26-4027-81A8-B6EBE7337300.jpeg

Haha! John beat me to it - been off doing a 'tackle review'! Rather than start another thread, I'll tack my bit on here!

Huge thanks as always to John for dragging me out! I've been knackered & full of aches & pains since starting the Rehab/Physio course, so glad John employed his invisible tow rope! ??
Thanks also to John for the loan of a couple of Leads. No matter how careful I am, I usually manage to leave something behind. Quite how my Leads got removed from my box I don't know, and I haven't found them at home today.

MB last night was as busy as hell, so when I arrived I was worried we wouldn't have a space, but it turned out OK. Always takes me ages to get rods together & a bait in the water, usually because I'm yapping to John!
We were about 3/4 of the way down the Pier to start off with, but John spotted a space on the end, so we moved camp before I'd got my first cast out! Lobbed out some big antique chunks of Mackerel on the Cod feathers John mentioned, and before the weight had hit bottom, fish on! A lovely little Pollack - blank avoided.

1665836246904.png

Now filled with enthusiasm, rebaited and lobbed out another cast, hoping for Mr Pollock's bigger brother. Left the rig out for 15mins whilst I baited up & cast out Rod #2. Bugger. Rod #1 snagged solid in the bottom. Lost the lot, shockleader, rig, and John's Lead. That was it for that Rod, I don't carry spare leaders, so back to one Rod. Meanwhile, John was having his usual Poutfest, and also pulling in Straps, including a double shot of one of each!

1665836572146.png

Not much else to report on the fishing front, although I did have one more Pout.

1665836966477.png

All in all, a darn good night. The weather stayed dry for us, and although the wind got up a bit later in the evening, I was well prepared & wrapped up!

We got chatting to a young lad who had turned up with his Rods & gear on a motor scooter! I did feel a bit sorry for him - he was from Torquay, and one of his mates had told him to travel down to MB in Plymouth as loads of Cod were being caught! Well and truly stitched up like a Kipper! - as John will testify, there hasn't been any Cod caught from that mark for many years.

Lots of shipping activity with a couple of big Petroleum tankers in & out, and they come quite close to the end of the Pier. One of Brittany ferries ships came in, and was so close to Drakes Island that I thought in the dark it was trying to go the wrong side of the Island!

Also a slightly concerning incident - one of the local beam trawlers headed out around the Pier just after dark, all the deck lights came on, and she started lowering her beams in the harbour. The lights went out and there was a lot of clattering steel suggesting that she had lowered her gear. Plymouth harbour is a Marine conservation area for some distance out past the breakwater. ?? Bit of research this morning meant it wasn't difficult to find out which boat it was. :mad::mad:

An excellent night, great banter as always with John, and we have decided that it might be better to avoid that mark on a Friday night and aim for midweek! ??????

Haha! John beat me to it - been off doing a 'tackle review'! Rather than start another thread, I'll tack my bit on here!

Huge thanks as always to John for dragging me out! I've been knackered & full of aches & pains since starting the Rehab/Physio course, so glad John employed his invisible tow rope! ??
Thanks also to John for the loan of a couple of Leads. No matter how careful I am, I usually manage to leave something behind. Quite how my Leads got removed from my box I don't know, and I haven't found them at home today.

MB last night was as busy as hell, so when I arrived I was worried we wouldn't have a space, but it turned out OK. Always takes me ages to get rods together & a bait in the water, usually because I'm yapping to John!
We were about 3/4 of the way down the Pier to start off with, but John spotted a space on the end, so we moved camp before I'd got my first cast out! Lobbed out some big antique chunks of Mackerel on the Cod feathers John mentioned, and before the weight had hit bottom, fish on! A lovely little Pollack - blank avoided.

View attachment 34125

Now filled with enthusiasm, rebaited and lobbed out another cast, hoping for Mr Pollock's bigger brother. Left the rig out for 15mins whilst I baited up & cast out Rod #2. Bugger. Rod #1 snagged solid in the bottom. Lost the lot, shockleader, rig, and John's Lead. That was it for that Rod, I don't carry spare leaders, so back to one Rod. Meanwhile, John was having his usual Poutfest, and also pulling in Straps, including a double shot of one of each!

View attachment 34126

Not much else to report on the fishing front, although I did have one more Pout.

View attachment 34127

All in all, a darn good night. The weather stayed dry for us, and although the wind got up a bit later in the evening, I was well prepared & wrapped up!

We got chatting to a young lad who had turned up with his Rods & gear on a motor scooter! I did feel a bit sorry for him - he was from Torquay, and one of his mates had told him to travel down to MB in Plymouth as loads of Cod were being caught! Well and truly stitched up like a Kipper! - as John will testify, there hasn't been any Cod caught from that mark for many years.

Lots of shipping activity with a couple of big Petroleum tankers in & out, and they come quite close to the end of the Pier. One of Brittany ferries ships came in, and was so close to Drakes Island that I thought in the dark it was trying to go the wrong side of the Island!

Also a slightly concerning incident - one of the local beam trawlers headed out around the Pier just after dark, all the deck lights came on, and she started lowering her beams in the harbour. The lights went out and there was a lot of clattering steel suggesting that she had lowered her gear. Plymouth harbour is a Marine conservation area for some distance out past the breakwater. ?? Bit of research this morning meant it wasn't difficult to find out which boat it was. :mad::mad:

An excellent night, great banter as always with John, and we have decided that it might be better to avoid that mark on a Friday night and aim for midweek! ??????
Great reply Dave , might have to try a beach next time

Back