• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Friday night mini meet catch report

John Mitchell

Reaction score
So after some messages to fellow anglers we decided to meet up at a local beach , it was myself , nephew Ben , Dodders mick , Trampster Dave , and bananas bob , so 5 of us , at the last minute Bob wasn’t allowed to come ??, shame ?.
so we met up at 4.30 pm at a local surf beach well there were about 20 surfers there lol .
Time we got set up the surfers were gone as it was getting dark .
The waves were big and messy hmm bassy and clean no weed .
soon we all had our baits in the water and waited and waited and for most it was waited and waited all night ? ,were they using any bait .
Any the fish turned up for me anyway ??????, first bite big rattle and pull down unmistakable in the rough conditions soon a nice fat flounder was on the beach at my feet over a pound .102A0182-3959-4301-A3D1-8AAAD6D9309F.jpeg,at least that was blank saved for me . It was 45 minutes before my next bite a nice big bite after a bit of up and down the beach I landed a lovely bass all 60cm of it .I was buzzing . 53645ECA-D25F-48C7-93C9-4D45097DE99A.jpeg5F1916B3-B89E-4338-8D37-2CCB1B8BE67B.jpeg,10 minutes later another bite this time a dog fish ?. 2A43407F-5EE8-4F16-BF31-BE0CA1BB6E3E.jpeg,well I wondered what the other guys were doing but I was fishing ??.
Then I had to wait about 45 minutes for my last bite, another cracking bite and another tousle in the surf and a nice 50cm bass landed .334BAF38-9198-408A-8745-09CF3732A870.jpeg,just after I landed this bass we were hit by tons and I mean tons of weed so time to pack up . It had been a good night for me .
The other 3 blanked I don’t know why . It was good to see mick again after such a long time .

Well done John (y) (y) , nice few fish you had there, shame the others blanked. wish I had come but would have been a bit too late by time I got there and the weed doesn't sound fun.

Well, unsurprisingly, John has beaten me too it! Had 'stuff' to do this morning so only just got to TSF.

It was a bit of a strange night. Shortly after we had arrived & set up, we had a spell of heavy drizzle, and I was cursing as I'd left my waterproof jacket behind the kitchen door. I had been in two minds about turning out anyway, as I had grumbly guts and wasn't on top form. Then the weather cleared, half a moon came out and we settled down to some pleasant fishing.

Quite why Ben, Mick & me blanked is a mystery. Similar rigs, similar baits, and nothing. I was even strolling over to spy on chat to John and see what he was using! ?? There was quite a heavy surf rolling in, and so bite detection was difficult as the rod tips were constantly moving, but with much irregularity. Well done to John with his Flounder, Dogfish, and 2 magnificent Bass, but for the rest of us - nowt.

Just as John had landed his 2nd Bass, Ben got all excited and was struggling to wind his rod in. He was convinced that he had a monster fish on his hook - I said it must be a Tuna! ?? Long story cut short, it was a huge clump of weed. We hadn't had a bit of weed trouble all evening and it was like somebody switched the darn stuff on about 2hrs after low water. Huge heavy clumps of it, some with those 1" thick stalks.

We fished on for a while, but it seemed to get worse. I sat down to send Wifey a text, and I heard a crash. Tripod and rod gone over. Like Ben, hoping it was a fish, I rushed to pick it up, tried to wind in and it just wouldn't move. Then as the swell rolled, it would move & stop, move & stop, and I eventually got the gear back to the waters edge but had to drop the tip of the rod and walk back up the beach as a small bit of weed was threatening to clog the tip ring. Another huge heavy clump of weed. Thanks to John for coming over and grabbing my leader to help drag it in. That was it - time to pack up.

I'd dug out my Shakey seatbox and a set of sack trucks with wide inflatable tyres, so that made life easier getting off the beach and back to Jeepy. With all of us fishing 30 yards apart, there is not much time to chat to the others, so I was pleased to find Mick was still sorting his car out as I got back to Jeepy. It was good to have a chat Mick - another great member of TSF that I have now had the pleasure of meeting! ??

The nearest I got to a fish last night was having to put Johns bass back for him because he was wearing trendy trainers instead of waders/wellies !
Thanks mick and they were hiking boots , but not wellies ,and I was glad you did put it back for me , when that wave almost went over the top of your head ????

Back