• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Frustration + determination = Beast!!

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all!
So, I headed out to a local spot in search of rays on Saturday night. The sea was flat and murky, the tide was making its way in and all was calm, it was perfect!!
I got set up and shortly after, two lads showed up a few groins up from me.
it couldn’t have been 20mins before I saw one of them pull a ray up the beach. Encouraging I thought.
Well, this is where the frustration part comes in. Over the course of the night, I watched them pull in ray after ray, I think I counted at least twelve between them. Meanwhile, I’d had one whiting, missed a reasonable bite and I’d had one ray at just 4lbs 3oz. What was I doing wrong?!
I’ve had it happen before when fishing with friends but not normally to this degree, it was verging on humiliating!!
I spent the entire day Sunday stewing over the previous night and just couldn’t let it rest so, Sunday night came and back I went to the same spot.
No lads this time, just me, the sea and the darkness, let battle commence!!
I was quite early so there wasn’t much water as I started but within half an hour or so, I had a dogfish at my feet. Not the target but I hadn’t blanked at least.
Ten minutes later and my target was acquired, not a beast by any means at 3.5lbs but it helped my confidence.
Less than an hour later and a lovely slack line resulted in ray no.2, a better fish at 6lbs 15oz. I was nearly smiling by now but still not satisfied (when are we ever!!) and so I fished on.
Over the next couple of hours I landed 2 more rays to 4lbs 8oz, another pretty hench looking dogfish and of course the obligatory whiting.
As I started to think about packing up, I got one last nice pull down. I left it a moment and when I struck in, I met with a good weight straight away. I continued to make on the fish but it felt really odd. I could feel it tugging as a normal ray would but there was something not right about the way it was coming in.
When I finally got her to my feet all became clear, not only was she an absolute slab of a fish, but she also had managed to pick up 2 sets of lost gear from other anglers! This meant that including my 5oz lead, she was dragging 17oz of lead behind her!! No wonder she felt odd.
It had made a right mess but I got it all untangled and freed the fish. I was absolutely made up when I weighed her though, she went 11lbs 10oz!!
I set about trying to get a good photo but my phone battery died before I could get one that really did her justice, she was a proper bin lid!!!
Pleased with my tally of 5 rays, 2 dogs and a ting and with getting my second double of the year, I’d forgotten all about the previous night and packed up a happy chap! B650C477-C2A9-4F76-AFEF-9865A8D8F85A.jpeg8AB570AF-E9AB-40CE-A562-C2E87B1C0F73.jpegC8245080-B576-4F4F-830D-5A1DC7BACB54.jpeg636C8D50-A7FE-46CE-A1FB-B47F3E5EE1DB.jpeg8DB185FA-BB17-46B8-B3E7-6A639B0CC2B2.jpeg6C14B19B-54A0-4329-84FB-8D8F590669FD.jpeg32904CA8-3FE9-444C-B961-8DFC06A56921.jpeg

Well done, brilliant session and you freed a fish from all that extra gear.

Is it snaggy there? Trying to figure how the hell two people managed to lose a ray? I mean, nice to catch them but they’re not exactly torpedoes on steroids!

Well done, brilliant session and you freed a fish from all that extra gear.

Is it snaggy there? Trying to figure how the hell two people managed to lose a ray? I mean, nice to catch them but they’re not exactly torpedoes on steroids!
It’s not snaggy per say, but the sand is shallow on a bed of thick clay. If you use hooks that are too thick gauge, they dig in on the retrieve and you can’t pull them through. It took me a while to work it out but if you use a finer gauge hook (I use kamasan uptide 4/0), you can pull through it.

It’s not snaggy per say, but the sand is shallow on a bed of thick clay. If you use hooks that are too thick gauge, they dig in on the retrieve and you can’t pull them through. It took me a while to work it out but if you use a finer gauge hook (I use kamasan uptide 4/0), you can pull through it.
Was that fish already hooked on the other rigs though? If they had a fish on it should have been hard to lose by then, or so I would have thought?

Was that fish already hooked on the other rigs though? If they had a fish on it should have been hard to lose by then, or so I would have thought?
Not in the mouth!! One was in its underbelly but the rest was just all tangled up with my rig. I think I just dragged through it on the retrieve.

Hi all!
So, I headed out to a local spot in search of rays on Saturday night. The sea was flat and murky, the tide was making its way in and all was calm, it was perfect!!
it couldn’t have been 20mins before I saw one of them pull a ray up the beach. Encouraging I thought.
Well, this is where the frustration part comes in. Over the course of the night, I watched them pull in ray after ray, I think I counted at least twelve between them. Meanwhile, I’d had one whiting, missed a reasonable bite and I’d had one ray at just 4lbs 3oz. What was I doing wrong?!
I’ve had it happen before when fishing with friends but not normally to this degree, it was verging on humiliating!!
I spent the entire day Sunday stewing over the previous night and just couldn’t let it rest so, Sunday night came and back I went to the same spot.
I was quite early so there wasn’t much water as I started but within half an hour or so, I had a dogfish at my feet. Not the target but I hadn’t blanked at least.
Ten minutes later and my target was acquired, not a beast by any means at 3.5lbs but it helped my confidence.
Less than an hour later and a lovely slack line resulted in ray no.2, a better fish at 6lbs 15oz. I was nearly smiling by now but still not satisfied (when are we ever!!) and so I fished on.
Over the next couple of hours I landed 2 more rays to 4lbs 8oz, another pretty hench looking dogfish and of course the obligatory whiting.
As I started to think about packing up, I got one last nice pull down. I left it a moment and when I struck in, I met with a good weight straight away. I continued to make on the fish but it felt really odd. I could feel it tugging as a normal ray would but there was something not right about the way it was coming in.
When I finally got her to my feet all became clear, not only was she an absolute slab of a fish, but she also had managed to pick up 2 sets of lost gear from other anglers! This meant that including my 5oz lead, she was dragging 17oz of lead behind her!! No wonder she felt odd.
It had made a right mess but I got it all untangled and freed the fish. I was absolutely made up when I weighed her though, she went 11lbs 10oz!!
I set about trying to get a good photo but my phone battery died before I could get one that really did her justice, she was a proper bin lid!!!
Pleased with my tally of 5 rays, 2 dogs and a ting and with getting my second double of the year, I’d forgotten all about the previous night and packed up a happy chap! View attachment 7805View attachment 7806View attachment 7807View attachment 7808View attachment 7809View attachment 7810View attachment 7811
Great report, nice photos Stormy! ?? I keep seeing reports with folks saying their phone or camera has gone flat - consider investing in a decent powerbank to connect to your phone. Won't cost a fortune and may get you out of tight spot. ??

Great report, nice photos Stormy! ?? I keep seeing reports with folks saying their phone or camera has gone flat - consider investing in a decent powerbank to connect to your phone. Won't cost a fortune and may get you out of tight spot. ??
I’ve actually got a USB converter which I can plug my phone into my Dewalt cordless drill battery which I usually use.
I just hadn’t taken it that day and I’d stayed longer than intended! Glad I did though. 1C260EA5-042C-41AF-8240-05206F6ECA8E.jpeg

Quality stuff mate - and yes what a beast! Whats the tally now?
Went for a couple of hours late last night and nabbed another one at 5lbs 2oz.... that puts me on exactly 40 for the year. ?

Got to be looking at a ton this year!

Hi all!
Pleased with my tally of 5 rays, 2 dogs and a ting and with getting my second double of the year, I’d forgotten all about the previous night and packed up a happy chap! View attachment 7805View attachment 7806View attachment 7807View attachment 7808View attachment 7809View attachment 7810View attachment 7811
lovely stuff mate, good effort ... great fish that to

Back