• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

FS Casting preference

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Was wondering that as a right hander whether casting with the reel in a low down position using the left hand to release the line while the stronger right arm is free to load up the rod is better or not.. I did it with Abu 6500c's back in the day but not with FS reels.

Reel down works fine with FS. The weight of the reel works with you, rather than against you.
I might have to get over on a field and practice that. I've ordered a 14 ft rod for my chrimbo gift so it might need a practice with a long rod and a low left FS.Cheers.
I used to do a good 200 practicing on grass with my multiplier when I was codding and got funny looks from people swishing my lead around pendulum casting in a field

I might have to get over on a field and practice that. I've ordered a 14 ft rod for my chrimbo gift so it might need a practice with a long rod and a low left FS.Cheers.
I used to do a good 200 practicing on grass with my multiplier when I was codding and got funny looks from people swishing my lead around pendulum casting in a field
I’ve got a near fifteen footer coming my way. I had a small inheritance, and by small I mean I had to put money with it to buy the rod. Thought it was a nice way to remember the guy, as he always cut the fishing reports out of the paper to give to me. When I finally can’t wind a monster rod up anymore, I’ll fall back onto my continental rods. In fact, I’ve got a mate who’s 67 and has many health problems and we keep telling him to go down the conti route, as back-casting his Zeteque is doing him in. I’d give him enough for the rod, for him to buy a really good conti rod, but he just can’t let go.

I've never had (nor wanted) a rod with a moveable reel seat, so my F/S reels are always wherever the rod builder put the fixed reel seat.
Never got on with Multipliers either, and happy with F/S. Always just an overhead thump with my Conti rods.
Left handed, so my reels are Left hand wind, and I always cast with the rod on my Left, Right hand on the Butt, and Left hand controlling the line release up at the reel seat. Love my Breakaway Casting triggers too, now fitted to both Conti Rods.
I've still got a 'standard' 12ft beach rod, but it never gets used.

I’ve got a near fifteen footer coming my way. I had a small inheritance, and by small I mean I had to put money with it to buy the rod. Thought it was a nice way to remember the guy, as he always cut the fishing reports out of the paper to give to me. When I finally can’t wind a monster rod up anymore, I’ll fall back onto my continental rods. In fact, I’ve got a mate who’s 67 and has many health problems and we keep telling him to go down the conti route, as back-casting his Zeteque is doing him in. I’d give him enough for the rod, for him to buy a really good conti rod, but he just can’t let go.
Mick?

If you go reel down get a thumb button nota cannon, it is much easier to lift your thumb than a finger at the end of the power stroke. Release timing comes naturally giving you smoother casts. Reel down will soften the feel of your rod and make it easier to load as well, lets you slow the start of the cast down

If you go reel down get a thumb button nota cannon, it is much easier to lift your thumb than a finger at the end of the power stroke. Release timing comes naturally giving you smoother casts. Reel down will soften the feel of your rod and make it easier to load as well, lets you slow the start of the cast down
You mean like den's FS trigger?

I've never had (nor wanted) a rod with a moveable reel seat, so my F/S reels are always wherever the rod builder put the fixed reel seat.
Never got on with Multipliers either, and happy with F/S. Always just an overhead thump with my Conti rods.
Left handed, so my reels are Left hand wind, and I always cast with the rod on my Left, Right hand on the Butt, and Left hand controlling the line release up at the reel seat. Love my Breakaway Casting triggers too, now fitted to both Conti Rods.
I've still got a 'standard' 12ft beach rod, but it never gets used.
That sounds a bit cack handed?

Back