• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice FS Reel Cases....anyone use them?

Neilos

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all....as above really....just bought a complete used beachcasting kit off ebay....three rods, (including a Sonik SK4 16ft ?),tripod, shelter and tons of terminal tackle. Also included were two unused Penn Surfblaster 2's. I'd like to try and keep them in as good condition as possible ....do any of you guys use cases or just rinse, dry and lob them in a tackle box?
TIA
Neil

I used too use reel cases, but unless you are meticulous in your cleaning and maintenance, they will kill a reel.

Let me explain.
You use the reel, pack up and put it in the case. The reel sits in is case till next use, all the while sitting in its own filthy salt encrusted tomb.
Or, you put it in the case, back home you take it out, wash the reel then put it back in the case. But, the inside of the case has not been cleaned! So, your clean reel has just been put back into its salt filled tomb!

Thank you....I kind of guessed as much.....they're going to scratched up on the beach anyway.

Hi all....as above really....just bought a complete used beachcasting kit off ebay....three rods, (including a Sonik SK4 16ft ?),tripod, shelter and tons of terminal tackle. Also included were two unused Penn Surfblaster 2's. I'd like to try and keep them in as good condition as possible ....do any of you guys use cases or just rinse, dry and lob them in a tackle box?
TIA
Neil
I'm not able to get out fishing as often as I would like, so I like to keep my reels in cases in my big tackle storage box at home. I had 2 from Norman at Breakaway Tackle, and having also just acquired a Penn Surfblaster II, I've just received 2 more cases. They are good quality, and I see no reason they could not be chucked in the washing machine if grubby/salty. For smaller F/S reels & multipliers, I make do with black men's washbags from one of the pound stores - £1 a throw and they do the job well!

Another useful tip is get hold of some used big bicycle or small motorcycle inner tubes - cut a 3/4" wide band out of them, and they are excellent for making sure the line stays in place on the reel spools.

Last edited:
Sorry to change the direction of the thread....but...the Surfblasters...have you had a go with it yet? I just picked up a couple of new ones as part of a job lot....any good? They certainly feel very well put together with screw in handle and lots of seals. Also I noticed the oscillation on them is super slow. Need to load them up and get out I guess!

Sorry to change the direction of the thread....but...the Surfblasters...have you had a go with it yet? I just picked up a couple of new ones as part of a job lot....any good? They certainly feel very well put together with screw in handle and lots of seals. Also I noticed the oscillation on them is super slow. Need to load them up and get out I guess!

No, not used it yet. I had a Vertix Dragon (amongst my collection of reels!) which I bought to go with my Vertix Conti rod, and the bale arm roller locked up on it after 6-7 trips out. I was trying to get a Surfblaster II but there were shortages due to Covid & gear not coming in from China, so I ended up buying a Mitchell Blue water RZ9000. Mitchell are part of the same company as Penn anyway. The Mitchell is a good reel for the money, but a couple of weeks ago, the Penn Surfblaster cropped up on the local Gumtree for £30! I couldn't leave it there! It's only been used once and the guy said it had 15Lb mono on it so I need to re-spool it with something heavier before use. No rush as the weather here has been awful, and as I'm high risk with Covid, I've been trying to do the right thing and stay home.

TIA
Neil
After fishing, I always warm wash/clean/dry my reels FS & Multies, then a drop of oil where recommended. Always wrap them individually in micro fibre cloths, then back in tackle boxes/rucksack ready for next trip. I still have an Intrepid pilot multi from the early 60's which is still like new. Same with my old Abu 5000/5500c's. for clean ground.

Trampster....thank you for the reply.
£30 is dirt cheap for that reel....I'm watching a couple on ebay at the moment..one's just under 90 quid with 6 hours to go...albeit a new one. The other is used and approaching 70 with 5 days to go!
Along with the surfblasters were a couple of surf master 850s which I have read horrendous reviews about...but these two still work well...if a bit corroded on the handles..oh and spooled with braid too.

Trampster....thank you for the reply.
£30 is dirt cheap for that reel....I'm watching a couple on ebay at the moment..one's just under 90 quid with 6 hours to go...albeit a new one. The other is used and approaching 70 with 5 days to go!
Along with the surfblasters were a couple of surf master 850s which I have read horrendous reviews about...but these two still work well...if a bit corroded on the handles..oh and spooled with braid too.
I too had spent ages on eBay looking for a reasonably priced 2nd hand one. Not had any dealings with the Surfmasters. I don't use braid - tried it once on that Vertix Dragon, and ended up with wind knots every other cast halfway between the rod tip & end tackle. Back to Asso mono. It seems you got a lot of good gear in your eBay package - curious to know more! ????

I too had spent ages on eBay looking for a reasonably priced 2nd hand one. Not had any dealings with the Surfmasters. I don't use braid - tried it once on that Vertix Dragon, and ended up with wind knots every other cast halfway between the rod tip & end tackle. Back to Asso mono. It seems you got a lot of good gear in your eBay package - curious to know more! ????
Hehe....yeah....I think I got a great deal. 15ft 9 Penn Powerstix, 13ft Penn Powerstix,
16ft Sonik Sk4, 2x Surfblaster 2's, 2x Surfmaster 850's, beach shelter, team daiwa tripod. Loads of terminal tackle and rig making equipment plus a couple of new spools of decent braid....
The guy selling had to give up fishing due to a back injury....nice bloke and i would be gutted if that happened to me.

Hehe....yeah....I think I got a great deal. 15ft 9 Penn Powerstix, 13ft Penn Powerstix,
16ft Sonik Sk4, 2x Surfblaster 2's, 2x Surfmaster 850's, beach shelter, team daiwa tripod. Loads of terminal tackle and rig making equipment plus a couple of new spools of decent braid....
The guy selling had to give up fishing due to a back injury....nice bloke and i would be gutted if that happened to me.
Wow - you did well! 3 good rods, 4 reels, shelter etc. Gotta be worth the money. It's surprising how much all the bits of end tackle add up to when you buy it bit by bit. The guy I got the Surfblaster II from had given up for the same reason. Nice guy, and as you say, a shame. It was a bit strange as Gumtree listings only stay up for around 4 weeks before they get automatically deleted if unsold. The guy had a fishing bag up for sale, and I happened to look at his profile for other items. The Surfblaster was listed as having been on offer for 162 days, and I keep a close eye on local bargains but had never seen it. I picked up a Shakespeare Salt tripod earlier in the year from another guy that had given up due to health issues - as new, £30!

Trouble is...its addictive! I regularly scan ebay...not so much Gumtree as there is not a lot for sale in my neck of the woods ...lots of carp stuff but that holds zero interest for me. Just wished I lived a bit closer to the coast!

Trouble is...its addictive! I regularly scan ebay...not so much Gumtree as there is not a lot for sale in my neck of the woods ...lots of carp stuff but that holds zero interest for me. Just wished I lived a bit closer to the coast!
I keep a close eye on Gumtree (which is part of eBay anyway) because I like to go look at things before I commit to buy, and I could do with a half decent spinning rod which folks are sometimes reluctant to post. It is good living near the coast, BUT, I'm not well enough to access the awkward marks like I used to, so I'm usually restricted to fishing from piers & jetties unless I made the effort to go to a beach mark which usually involves a fair drive. Incidentally, if you need any hooks or rig making bits, I've found this guy one of the nicest to deal with on eBay!

Back to reel protection I found a sheet of rubberised netting used as packaging. Just wrap your reels up in that and rinse it with the reels

I keep a close eye on Gumtree (which is part of eBay anyway) because I like to go look at things before I commit to buy, and I could do with a half decent spinning rod which folks are sometimes reluctant to post. It is good living near the coast, BUT, I'm not well enough to access the awkward marks like I used to, so I'm usually restricted to fishing from piers & jetties unless I made the effort to go to a beach mark which usually involves a fair drive. Incidentally, if you need any hooks or rig making bits, I've found this guy one of the nicest to deal with on eBay!
Not sure I'll be needing to buy much in the way of rig making for a fair while after my eBay purchase....?

That's a great idea.... you could also use the stuff they pack bottles in when you buy from duty free

Back