• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Gibberish and Tag ends!

Kenny84

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Ok it’s another leader knot question! Brace your selves!

I’m relatively new to fishing and have tried a few different knots. I use both mono main and shock leader (18lb/70lb) on a multiplier.

I been using an improved Albright knot recently and am confident with tying it well and can get it nice and small so I’d doesn’t hit the rings during a cast.

Now I’ve only had it happen maybe 2 times his year but it’s bugging me because I’m not sure if it’s my casting or the knot.

It’s hard to describe it but after casting I basically have what looks like 3 lines coming out of the tip eye from a couple of rings down….. if that makes sense?

My only theory is that maybe the tag ends on my leader knot is somehow scooping up some loose line during the cast and dragging it with it from further down the spool…..? ok reading that back to myself sounds like complete gibberish but maybe if you’ve had it happen too you’ll know what I’m on about fingers crossed ?

My tag ends are around 3-5mm as I’m unsure how the knot would react if I cut them flush?

Any thoughts/opinions or suggestions appreciated

When I used to use mono mainline and leader on fixed spools, I tied them together with an Albright knot and always cut the rag ends flush, never had one come undone on me, I would always give it a damn good pull before I'd cut the tag ends though to make sure it's bedded down really well.

I’m relatively new to fishing and have tried a few different knots. I use both mono main and shock leader (18lb/70lb) on a multiplier.

I been using an improved Albright knot recently and am confident with tying it well and can get it nice and small so I’d doesn’t hit the rings during a cast.

Now I’ve only had it happen maybe 2 times his year but it’s bugging me because I’m not sure if it’s my casting or the knot.

It’s hard to describe it but after casting I basically have what looks like 3 lines coming out of the tip eye from a couple of rings down….. if that makes sense?

My only theory is that maybe the tag ends on my leader knot is somehow scooping up some loose line during the cast and dragging it with it from further down the spool…..? ok reading that back to myself sounds like complete gibberish but maybe if you’ve had it happen too you’ll know what I’m on about fingers crossed ?

My tag ends are around 3-5mm as I’m unsure how the knot would react if I cut them flush?

Sounds almost like a wind knot? Never used a multiplier so not sure how it could happen.

Sounds almost like a wind knot? Never used a multiplier so not sure how it could happen.
I have used multi's for over 35 years and never got a wind knot using a shock leader. may be the spool tensioner is set wrong and get over runs - we call them birds nests.

I agree with Craig, plus whatever knot I have used, I usually put a drop of superglue or rig glue on the knot as it 'smooths' it out to pass through the rings.

I agree with Craig, plus whatever knot I have used, I usually put a drop of superglue or rig glue on the knot as it 'smooths' it out to pass through the rings.
I have used multi's for over 35 years and never got a wind knot using a shock leader. may be the spool tensioner is set wrong and get over runs - we call them birds nests.
I’m not sure, it’s literally only happened a couple of times out of hundreds of casts so that’s why I was wondering if it’s just a freak of a thing to happen. I’ll cut the tag ends flush and se if it ever happens again. If it does I’ll take a photo.

I’m not sure, it’s literally only happened a couple of times out of hundreds of casts so that’s why I was wondering if it’s just a freak of a thing to happen. I’ll cut the tag ends flush and se if it ever happens again. If it does I’ll take a photo.
Haven’t seen that particular one before but tbh tangles do happen in fishing, sometimes really odd ones.

If it’s that rare I wouldn’t worry about it, just untangle it and carry on fishing.

If it was every trip then yes, it’s something that needs sorting.
Imo, try not to over analyse minor stuff or stress over knots.
If it’s working most of the time, that’s good enough for me!

What rod and reel is it? and what type of cast are you using?.
If leader knot was picking up line you'd have a major crack off as would be on power part of cast.
As lead hits water/stop cast lift rod up so lessens any loose line around.
How high is lead in flight? as if cast is too flat can get issues.
What mono are you using?

worth adding a bit of length to leader , and see if it happens again , i have 30 ft leader on a 14 ft rod reel down , so would play with the length ,and reel in line under tension .

Seems a strange one. I'd agree, if tag end you would surely crack off big time!

Does the lead fly out fine?.... If so I'm guessing it's an over run issue somehow after the lead hits the water?

I will add that when I dabbled with field casting, the albright cased so many crack offs for me with the knot catching the tip eyes I stopped using it... The leader tag needs to be very short!

When i did use mono years ago i used a knot that was tapered with no trouble with casting and no crack off,s. A figure of 8 in the leader , main line goes through the figure of 8 , 6 turns over the leader , 3 turns back to wards the figure of 8 . put the main line through the space where the first wrap goes over the leader , wet and pull tight.

worth adding a bit of length to leader , and see if it happens again , i have 30 ft leader on a 14 ft rod reel down , so would play with the length ,and reel in line under tension .
That's a very good point. I had some issues when I started using braid with a mono leader and was getting one or two crack offs a session, turns out my leader was too long. I rekon it's about 30-35ft now, any longer and it would catch on an eye and snap off or as described in the first post, the line would hang up and end up everywhere.
This was using fixed spools on afaw 6&bait rods.

What rod and reel is it? and what type of cast are you using?.
If leader knot was picking up line you'd have a major crack off as would be on power part of cast.
As lead hits water/stop cast lift rod up so lessens any loose line around.
How high is lead in flight? as if cast is too flat can get issues.
What mono are you using?
It’s a century fireblade with a penn 525 slidey, I do a lay back style cast. (Swing left then right wait until the lead is at its highest point count 2 seconds then turn and hit it) diawa sensor mainline and suffix leader

Tbh it usually goes out pretty well and yes as others have said if it’s not a regular occurrence I’m not too worried about it but just wanted to hear everyone’s opinion on what causes it as it just look so odd seeing 3 separate lines coming out the top eye!

The only other thing I’ve had some issues with in the past with leaders is having them to long. Ok for short range rough ground but for distance fishing was causing issues with crack offs. Use a spider hitch loop now with a overhand knot in the leader and connect them with a 5 turn uni knot. Find it really strong with some five and never have issues with it.

It’s a century fireblade with a penn 525 slidey, I do a lay back style cast. (Swing left then right wait until the lead is at its highest point count 2 seconds then turn and hit it) diawa sensor mainline and suffix leader

Tbh it usually goes out pretty well and yes as others have said if it’s not a regular occurrence I’m not too worried about it but just wanted to hear everyone’s opinion on what causes it as it just look so odd seeing 3 separate lines coming out the top eye!
Can't see leader length being an issue if at end of cast more like loose line and they are reasonably large guides on FB's from seeing them so less constriction of line profile when slack.
Give the rod a lift as end cast see if that improves things

One other thing could be causing is line twist as that will cause that if slack as line will try to spin on it's self

Find a field or or do on beach/sea esp if can get tide to pull line off as emptying should see if line twisted or feel it then wind it back on smoothly under pressure making sure any twist is pushed down outside rod helps if have someone to pull and lift line so can unravel.
It happens sometimes when putting line of if spools been flipping around as putting on reel plus some just seem to come twisted!

Last edited:
I've used fireblades since the first ones were out for testing, they are my goto rods for most of my fishing... Also have some 525 penn slideys .... I've never had that problem, in fact never had that on any setup!.... Just to be clear is this just at the end of the cast?...... If so could be line twist as mentioned, and a fast reel I guess??

I've used fireblades since the first ones were out for testing, they are my goto rods for most of my fishing... Also have some 525 penn slideys .... I've never had that problem, in fact never had that on any setup!.... Just to be clear is this just at the end of the cast?...... If so could be line twist as mentioned, and a fast reel I guess??
I thought fireblades were Honda 1000 cc pocket rocket motorbikes.:unsure:

I thought fireblades were Honda 1000 cc pocket rocket
I cast like marc Marquez

I cast like marc Marquez
what rigs do you use and you have a swivel on leader or rig top?
Pulley rigs with the Fat yank on a motor bike look Tronix pulley bead causes line twist when casting with line sitting so far out to sides you can see them spin when casting.
Also some leads esp those pointed each end ones are notorious for spinning pointed leads don't fly good! Reason why don't use pointed ammo with shooting apart from point is easily deformed you get a bad spin which means POI is wild!

Back