• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Gilthead Bream at Hythe.

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Years ago I caught a small Gilthead at Hythe which caused some comment, I've just heard of a bigger one being caught there, perhaps it's not such a rare fish there or perhaps it's the same one that's grown.

My informant reports that the beach fished well when he broke his habit of fishing over high and gave low tide a try. Apart from the gilthead he had
2 bass, one 39 and one 43 cm, three plaice, a sole, some pout and a thornback ray

Oh, and the usual 30 odd Whiting.

A Gilthead is a dream fish for me.
From what I've read they're moving slowly east, probably as the water gets warmer.

I have heard though, some caught on the IOW, or just off it.

Small giltheads have/can be caught at Seasalter over the mussel bank in the summer months. I’m yet to find success probably to do with the weed making it practically unfishable in the summer months.

There was a few caught around the Walton on the Naze area this year along with red mullet.

Years ago I caught a small Gilthead at Hythe which caused some comment, I've just heard of a bigger one being caught there, perhaps it's not such a rare fish there or perhaps it's the same one that's grown.

My informant reports that the beach fished well when he broke his habit of fishing over high and gave low tide a try. Apart from the gilthead he had
2 bass, one 39 and one 43 cm, three plaice, a sole, some pout and a thornback ray

Oh, and the usual 30 odd Whiting.
Which Hythe Capn?
I’ve had them in Southampton water, at the gun tower near the open sea and also at low water Calshot. Nothing very big though, not even half pound I suppose…

Which Hythe Capn?
I’ve had them in Southampton water, at the gun tower near the open sea and also at low water Calshot. Nothing very big though, not even half pound I suppose…
Hythe in Kent.

A Gilthead is a dream fish for me.
From what I've read they're moving slowly east, probably as the water gets warmer.

I have heard though, some caught on the IOW, or just off it.
Had at least two or three giltheads mixed in with blacks whilst boat fishing the blocks this year and have also seen them caught inside Langstone harbour of boats but also from the shore , seem to becoming a more regular catch every year , only over the water from the island so would think they would show on your side too.

I caught a few off Brighton & Shoreham beaches during June/July largest went about 1.5lbs.

Small giltheads have/can be caught at Seasalter over the mussel bank in the summer months. I’m yet to find success probably to do with the weed making it practically unfishable in the summer months.
I’m tempted to take my kayak down there to see if the weed can be avoided a tad further out, or failing that just having less line out …

I caught this one at Reculver a couple of years back on ragworm over low water. Although only 11oz, it gave a great account of itself! 95583AC6-11A5-4660-A39B-ABEA892E279A.png

Back