• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Gobys Galore 😀

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick post from yesterday for the tiddler lovers out there 😃

Plymouth was the venue, and what a fab place it is for getting out the wind and finding a few fish while most places seem rather tricky atm!

First, I did promise to let John know if I decided to come down....sorry John, It was a last minute change of venue, and I forgot .. hence the sheepish welcome I gave you as you appeared above us 🙈.... anyway hope you guys found your goldsinny as it had gone a bit quiet over there when we moved.

Right, the fishing.....I had 3 main goals, 3 fish needed for a comp I'm in and have never caught before ....nice and easy eh ! 🤔

Well to even the odds I'd done a lot of homework, chatted with lads on here and others I know ...and to tip it off I had the help of Lucas a top LRF lad that joined me for the day....he was after a Tompot for the winter league.

We started in the carpark by the bait bunker, and very soon Lucas was in with a Rock goby....nice start for him on gulp. My first fish was soon after a Tompot.... Lucas's target ...bugger!
PXL_20221229_113726015~2.jpg
Think he had another Rock, and I had another Tompot....nooo. Out went a bit of gar for me and in came a yting...Lucas then dropped a gar lifting it up the wall.

Time to move, go look for my targets.
It was already looking like a hard day, and my first two targets were nowhere to be seen, but I did see a tiny Corkwing that liked rag.PXL_20221229_125518181.TS_exported_33_1672451188985~2.jpg

The 3rd spot ....there mooching about was a tiny goby!
YES!....quickly dropping down a speck of bait...held my breath....twitched it..and it was mine....as easy as that!!

Amazing, couldn't believe it, a lovely little 2 spot goby.PXL_20221229_124905547~2.jpg

Made up with the little chap, I rebaited and dropped down into deeper water this time and all was dead for both of us....then a tiny rattle and fish on.
To my surprise, up came another tiny goby...my painted? and target 2....I'll never know as it jumped off the hook swinging it in....but it sure looked the right size!
I dropped down in the same spot, but all was quiet, so eventually I moved a few feet away to where Lucas had had a couple of missed bites earlier.
First drop think I missed a bite, then had a gold sinny wrasse...first fish out for a while.PXL_20221229_115205564_exported_33~2.jpg
I then tried a bit further away from the wall and felt that tiny goby tremble again!...it went again and out came a carbon copy of the dropped fish from earlier....a lovely Painted Goby....target 2.PXL_20221229_140259098~2.jpg
I then had a couple more and a large sand goby PXL_20221229_152105311_exported_41~2.jpg
Another move around Sutton harbour, trying likely looking spots for a black goby this time...no bites for me but Lucas found another Rock!
Then he found a big black goby, and a rock for me...it was slow though still .PXL_20221229_134648593.TS_exported_0~2.jpg
After that I dropped a black and managed a couple more Goldsinny wrasse.

Lucas then returned to his car to add parking, and grab his headtorch....I was planning to follow in 10 mins, hopefully landing black goby first.

I was slowly moving along the wall dropping my tiny hook in likely looking spots, when I felt something heavy...weed I thought and started to lift this weight out. It nodded then off it went at a steady pace, stripping line off the reel for 30y!!
Wow....didn't expect this..it was now nearing a line of boats still going straight out ...I'm not sure if at this point I applied a fit of extra finger tension to the spool, or the hook just gave up....but the fish was gone and the sz 16 hook had opened up 😢.... probably my fault as normally I use a strong sz10 hook, and had forgotten about the 16!...bugger.

Later a bass around 4lb rolled 10ft out...maybe that was it , or a big flounder?...never know I guess, worst thing when you lose a nice fish .

It then kicked off....out came a load of pout and more Goldsinny....6 or 7 of each in a busy 20 min spell as it got dark.PXL_20221229_163905913~2.jpg
Still no black, but then going along the wall again , that goby rattle, and out she came, all the way this time.PXL_20221229_165042226.TS_exported_668_1672444894353~2.jpg
Right time to head back now as it was dark and my torch was in the Van!....I'd been fishing by streetlight.

Walking back with Lucas he was now picking off a few fish in his torch light, and I managed a Pollack at the edge of his light 😃. ...and then bumped into John ...sorry again bud ....see you next time honest 👍

We moved then, looking for target 3 a herring.
Conditions were rubbish, but we gave it a go...a nice Pollack for me, a bigger one for Lucas, and then a cracking bass in the 2-3lb mark on a 0-3g rod think it was....crazy. Another local LRF lad there also doing the comp I believe, then had a smaller bass himself before it died and at that I decided to head home.

A great day, 11 species and 2 firsts....big thanks to Lucas for putting up with me and having a laugh.

Cheers all.
Si

Well done mate. Great write and pic’s. Those gobys look amazing, might have to dig my rod out and have a go down here.

Great write up mate, unlucky on losing the big fish, but well done on all the others you had out(y)(y), 2 spot fishing is heart stopping as your leaning over the wall holding your breath hoping the little fecker swallows the tiny speck of bait 😃 😃

How did you get on John?....think Lucas probably ended with around 9 or 10 species on plastic. He's a machine though !
We only did a couple of hours , very slow had a few bites probably sand gobies, had one fish drop off , I think mick had a poor cod , Andy had a tompot, I did not land anything, but that’s how it goes got high hopes for Monday, probably a 6 hour session in a couple of harbours , on a road trip 🤪

Well done Si - fabulous report & photos, and a great mix of Species! 🎣🎣👍👍

In the words of Sir Alan Sugar, for not letting us know you were here, "You're fired"! 😂😂😂

We only did a couple of hours , very slow had a few bites probably sand gobies, had one fish drop off , I think mick had a poor cod , Andy had a tompot, I did not land anything, but that’s how it goes got high hopes for Monday, probably a 6 hour session in a couple of harbours , on a road trip 🤪
Ah sorry to hear it was so slow John. I did think you might struggle, as it definitely seemed to switch off as quick as it turned on!
Lucas was finding a few, but they were all sight fished in torch light.
Good luck on the road trip👍

Oh I may be down later as Mrs fancies a trip in the big van 🤷......prob no fishing though..... Are there any fireworks displays for new year on the Hoe?

Ah sorry to hear it was so slow John. I did think you might struggle, as it definitely seemed to switch off as quick as it turned on!

Oh I may be down later as Mrs fancies a trip in the big van 🤷......prob no fishing though..... Are there any fireworks displays for new year on the Hoe?
Doesn't look like it Si - I've had a search and there is a list of events here, but no fireworks.

Don’t think so ,

A very rewarding session there Si. It is surprising how tense it can be fishing for the minis. Very different to the " big boy" fishing. All just as much fun though. A few there l have never had. Well done, good report and pictures.

Back