• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Golden Greys

John Mitchell

Reaction score
Anybody got any tips where GG might be around Plymouth, you can pm me if you want , I have only caught them at salcombe and padstow so far, I could with a local mark

Loads of GGs along chesil, literally thousands of them! Once the macs start driving the whitebait up the beach, they are eating the maggots, bits of fish etc on the next set of springs, need it relatively calm and clear with an evening high. Get them on pop ups ?

Loads of GGs along chesil, literally thousands of them! Once the macs start driving the whitebait up the beach, they are eating the maggots, bits of fish etc on the next set of springs, need it relatively calm and clear with an evening high. Get them on pop ups ?
Sorry mate I like chesil , but chesil isn’t around Plymouth, I can fish for them a hours drive away , but I was looking for some where local

Wot bait squidy strips of Mac or rag ???

Wot bait squidy strips of Mac or rag ???
Rag tail or a tiny bit of mac, literally the size of the white bit on your nail, trim the meat off the back, so essentially a bit of belly skin. Mount this on a size 12 or 14 hook. White foam pop ups on 6ft floro links. I use the foam sold to carp anglers to put in boilies to pop them up. Bigger pop ups for macs, 1cm length of 5mm foam for gars and mullet. I've had thick lips to 6lb4oz doing this. Ground baiting works well, but if the macs been driving white bait up the beach they've done the work for you. Some use a small bomb and quiver tip as an alternative method.

are they to smart to take isome? which colour best

Rag tail or a tiny bit of mac, literally the size of the white bit on your nail, trim the meat off the back, so essentially a bit of belly skin. Mount this on a size 12 or 14 hook. White foam pop ups on 6ft floro links. I use the foam sold to carp anglers to put in boilies to pop them up. Bigger pop ups for macs, 1cm length of 5mm foam for gars and mullet. I've had thick lips to 6lb4oz doing this. Ground baiting works well, but if the macs been driving white bait up the beach they've done the work for you. Some use a small bomb and quiver tip as an alternative method.
Thanks for that mate thinking of giveing it a go at comp in fortnight atm weather looks pucker for it whould an Ian golds palegic rig work 6 ft trace whould you use Fluorocarbon and wot size do you recommend bud and I guess bead colour makes no difference be interesting to hear your thoughts bud ??

Thanks for that mate thinking of giveing it a go at comp in fortnight atm weather looks pucker for it whould an Ian golds palegic rig work 6 ft trace whould you use Fluorocarbon and wot size do you recommend bud and I guess bead colour makes no difference be interesting to hear your thoughts bud ??
I use a rig body around 8ft long, hook link either end around 6ft long, I find white pop up foam the best, 4 or 5mm in diameter, 10 to 15mm in length, size 10 to 12 fine wire (so the hook is very light!). 100% use flouro ? some match anglers go very light, but I stick around 8lb. Tiny baits for gars and mullet. Yes the IG rig will work but I definitely prefer multiple hooks. For macs and scad I use huge pop ups, bits of white foam, 4 inches long, half inch wide. Decent for bream as well, just knit them onto a normal clip down rig. The scad are there now and will always appear around dusk along the edge. You might need to draw the fish in, chum with oils and sawdust, fish scraps is good ?

I use a rig body around 8ft long, hook link either end around 6ft long, I find white pop up foam the best, 4 or 5mm in diameter, 10 to 15mm in length, size 10 to 12 fine wire (so the hook is very light!). 100% use flouro ? some match anglers go very light, but I stick around 8lb. Tiny baits for gars and mullet. Yes the IG rig will work but I definitely prefer multiple hooks. For macs and scad I use huge pop ups, bits of white foam, 4 inches long, half inch wide. Decent for bream as well, just knit them onto a normal clip down rig. The scad are there now and will always appear around dusk along the edge. You might need to draw the fish in, chum with oils and sawdust, fish scraps is good ?
Ig rig is two traces top and bottem is saw dust best for chum was gonna use stale bread but if you tho k it’s better orso been saveing all old fish baits sand eel bluey and macs and got some pilchard oil to go with wot sort of consistency am I looking for mate ???

Ig rig is two traces top and bottem is saw dust best for chum was gonna use stale bread but if you tho k it’s better orso been saveing all old fish baits sand eel bluey and macs and got some pilchard oil to go with wot sort of consistency am I looking for mate ???
Get it all in there mate ? as long as you can get it in the water 20ft or so I wouldn't worry about consistency, the bread should help bind it though. Bread will sink eventually, the sawdust floats away in the tide drawing the fish in as it soaks up the oils. Just wack up a good mix.

Back