• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Got one of my "extra" targets for the year!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After a pretty unproductive all nighter last weekend after the big stuff, which included a long trek there, and a weary trek back! It was back to Weymouth Stone Pier on 1st Feb, for an easy fish, and to see what else could be had there.
20240201_102744.jpg
I was using different tactics this time, mainly concentrating on one lrf rod and around the shallow rocky water. As usual there were lots of wrasse to be had, but this time more ballan than corkwing. The one in the picture was a stunner. It always amazes me how the ballan's can be so many different colours.
20240201_155357.jpg
Not much else doing, but pleased with a favourite of mine a tompot blenny. He looks a bit shocked!
20240204_150526.jpg
Back to more wrasse.
20240201_170547.jpg
I was chatting with a lady I know from Boscombe, when the 5ft LRF rod bend double and I mean double! I was on for a good old scrap with what ever it was, l was fighting to keep the fish out of the weed, with a rod with very little back bone, light line and a size 8 hook! I had to be pretty careful, but got it near to the wall. Next problem lifting it. The lady (who's speciality is catching squid) offered to hold the rod, while I hand balled the fish up. I did not hold out much hope of getting it up on the pier. It helped that the fish went quiet once clear of the water, and it was soon in my hands. Definitely a PB for me and measured at around 394mm (15 1/2 inch). I tried to weigh it, but the cold had killed my electric scales. A cracking fat wrasse!
20240201_181431.jpg
20240201_161848.jpg
Really pleased with the fish, and after reading reports and being inspired by @DamionFryer, I had decided that l wanted a decent wrasse this year. Done that! Anyone hazard a guess at the likely weight?
20240201_181252.jpg
The rest of the day was much of the same, with no new fish for my hunt. We (me and Haddock) bailed out and made our way into the harbour where very quickly I had the black goby I needed and expected from the spot we fished. That done, it was time to leave.
20240201_181139.jpg
If I can get a new species each session, I am happy. The bonus was my target wrasse, and early in the year!

Good luck if you are out.

After a pretty unproductive all nighter last weekend after the big stuff, which included a long trek there, and a weary trek back! It was back to Weymouth Stone Pier on 1st Feb, for an easy fish, and to see what else could be had there.
View attachment 58732
I was using different tactics this time, mainly concentrating on one lrf rod and around the shallow rocky water. As usual there were lots of wrasse to be had, but this time more ballan than corkwing. The one in the picture was a stunner. It always amazes me how the ballan's can be so many different colours.
View attachment 58733
Not much else doing, but pleased with a favourite of mine a tompot blenny. He looks a bit shocked!
View attachment 58734
Back to more wrasse.
View attachment 58735
I was chatting with a lady I know from Boscombe, when the 5ft LRF rod bend double and I mean double! I was on for a good old scrap with what ever it was, l was fighting to keep the fish out of the weed, with a rod with very little back bone, light line and a size 8 hook! I had to be pretty careful, but got it near to the wall. Next problem lifting it. The lady (who's speciality is catching squid) offered to hold the rod, while I hand balled the fish up. I did not hold out much hope of getting it up on the pier. It helped that the fish went quiet once clear of the water, and it was soon in my hands. Definitely a PB for me and measured at around 394mm (15 1/2 inch). I tried to weigh it, but the cold had killed my electric scales. A cracking fat wrasse!
View attachment 58736
View attachment 58737
Really pleased with the fish, and after reading reports and being inspired by @DamionFryer, I had decided that l wanted a decent wrasse this year. Done that! Anyone hazard a guess at the likely weight?
View attachment 58740
The rest of the day was much of the same, with no new fish for my hunt. We (me and Haddock) bailed out and made our way into the harbour where very quickly I had the black goby I needed and expected from the spot we fished. That done, it was time to leave.
View attachment 58738
If I can get a new species each session, I am happy. The bonus was my target wrasse, and early in the year!

That's proper angling. It's not always about double figure fish, it's proper finesse so well done. Beautiful pics too.

Great report as usual Goatee, some nice fish, and lovely pics as well. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

View attachment 58732
View attachment 58733
View attachment 58734
Back to more wrasse.
View attachment 58735
View attachment 58736
View attachment 58737
View attachment 58740
View attachment 58738

Great report and photos and well done on the bigger ballan

Fabulous report & great photos Goatee! Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

I would guess your Wrasse to be about 2Lb 5oz!
OK - I cheated! Angling Addicts have a web page where you can enter the species & the length, and it gives you the approximate weight.

That's proper angling. It's not always about double figure fish, it's proper finesse so well done. Beautiful pics too.
Cheers. I like to change it about a bit, this sort of light fishing, spinning, float fishing and heavy/medium on the beaches. Depends on the targets.

Nice wrasse!
I was there today notching up some minis.
I was talking to a lady who mentioned a 15 inch wrasse.
Probably the same lady and the same wrasse!
Yep, she held the rod while I lifted the fish! I have watched her on the squid and she is good.

Fabulous report & great photos Goatee! Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

I would guess your Wrasse to be about 2Lb 5oz!
OK - I cheated! Angling Addicts have a web page where you can enter the species & the length, and it gives you the approximate weight.

Thanks for that. It was a chunky one so good to have a guide.

Nice lump of ballan that, bet that got the heart racing👍👍

I am pleased with it thanks. It was exciting and worrying, due to the rod, reel and line being light, and also the small hook, especially when lifting. You know what they are like for diving into any weed or snags they can, and I needed it up clear, but I could not bully it. Cheers mate.

Back