• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Great things in small packages

bananas

Reaction score
Had a go at Branscombe the other night, as it was out the wind and I had some bait that really needed using up, a late a tide around 11pm so got there and set up by 8, had a call from Tat asking how I was doing and what I might catch in daylight and he was right as first fish out was a nice fighting Ballan, not huge, around the pound mark so a good start. Couple casts later I snagged a small Coalfish which Tat said was very rare around there.
When darkness came swapped to bigger baits in the hope of a good huss or eel, had a couple of good pull down bites before finally connecting to the culprit, a spirited few head shakes on the way in and through the surf came a mighty, WTF, it was a huss but tiny, about 12inches and how he got the bait and hook in his gob!!, I should have taken a pic as he was a cute bugger and fought like he was a contender.
Back in the water he must have nipped off and told his mates there's free food over there, as over the next hour I had 3 of them out, all the same size and all from good pull down bites, which made me think, do I really want a big one if these little ones fight so well.
Managed to get the obligatory Dogfish just before midnight and packing up time, was a nice short session with some fish and no bloody spiders or May rot to hamper it.

Well done, nice mixed bag. Coalie this time of year is amazing.

When do the smoothies show please? I have had them in June at Branscombe, but, see reports of smoothies further along the coast and wondered if they showed earlier.

Had them from branscombe from May onwards in the past. Found over low water coming in dark was best time plus a bit quieter if the weather half decent. Been a bit hit n miss the past couple of years.

Great report Bob - well done mate! ????

Well done B nice to ave a coalie mate and a few other bits speaking to some lads yesterday seems like that may water has been pushed right out deep it’s like soup 20 miles out the wind seemed to be pushing it off hopefully that’s were it will stay till it gets broken up ?

Back