• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Greedy Tamar cod

Plaicehunter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Today on the Tamar I uptided with two rods: one with big baits, the other with a two-hook flapper with small baits for whiting.
I was merrily catching good-sized 'tings when I hooked a heavier fish which thumped all the way in. As I was baiting with small bits of squid and mackerel, I was expecting a strap eel, but up popped a 4-10 cod, neatly hooked in the scissors on a 1/0. As I unhooked it, I noticed a mangled mackerel lodged in its throat; it was wrapped in bait elastic, but there was no hook! When I gutted the cod, its stomach was crammed full, with contents including a squid head, a mass of squid flesh and three hardback crabs! Seems it had been hoovering up discarded bait and anything edible it came across.
I finished the day with plenty of whiting, a doggie and three strap conger.
A huge seal spent the day beached on a flat buoy just yards away, but we agreed not to bother each other! PH

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_135554.jpg
    IMG_20201206_135554.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201206_101600.jpg
    IMG_20201206_101600.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 21
Well done a nice cod and some whiting for you along with the other species
Tight lines

Well done mate, thats a great surprise catch. (y) (y)
Well, I was fishing for cod with the other rod, and I must admit I thought my big juicy lug 'n squid cocktail on the pulley pennell was more likely to produce one than my whiting flapper. Even with its stomach full and a throat full of mackerel it still wanted to cram in more grub! PH

Nice one Plaicehunter. ?
That brings back memories of my first double I caught, back in the 80's. That was on a flapper rig for whiting. It was 15lb 7oz and took a 1/0 with Mackerel on it. Or possibly had a whiting on it already.

All the best

TCH

Back