• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Gurnard on lures

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have a weird obsession bouncing jigs to catch gurnard, so having seen some of the LRF crew catching a few I thought it would be worth a go. First session I managed a complete blank ad I got the tides wrong and the weed was horrendous. Second session, the wind was tricky, but, having cycled through my usual jigs I was at a loss as to what to do, so swapped to my never fail, a Halco Twisty. It absolutely flies and has a knack of producing gurnard when bounced on the sea bed, sure enough they turned up the goods and 3 small gurnard absolutely hammered the lure at various distances. I just love their aggression on light tackle. Third session, was another complete blank as the wind changed to side on and picked up making keeping contact difficult.

So a very mixed bag, but, yet again my craving for more has been stirred.IMG_0095.jpegIMG_0091.jpeg

Great effort mate, nice one. Some lovely Gurnard and pics too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

I have a weird obsession bouncing jigs to catch gurnard, so having seen some of the LRF crew catching a few I thought it would be worth a go. First session I managed a complete blank ad I got the tides wrong and the weed was horrendous. Second session, the wind was tricky, but, having cycled through my usual jigs I was at a loss as to what to do, so swapped to my never fail, a Halco Twisty. It absolutely flies and has a knack of producing gurnard when bounced on the sea bed, sure enough they turned up the goods and 3 small gurnard absolutely hammered the lure at various distances. I just love their aggression on light tackle. Third session, was another complete blank as the wind changed to side on and picked up making keeping contact difficult.

So a very mixed bag, but, yet again my craving for more has been stirred.View attachment 47447View attachment 47448
I have caught gurnard by bumping artificial Gulp worms along the bottom on my local Dorset beach using a Carolina rig but was really surprised last year while on holiday in the US. Fishing a very shallow beach using a Patchinko surface lure on Rhode Island hoping for a striped bass or bluefish I kept getting obvious follows from a fish I couldn’t identify. Eventually I hooked one and it was a decent sized gurnard (in the States they call them Red Robins). I was very surprised that they would take a surface lure and so continued to catch plenty using the same tactics on a variety of shallow beaches. They all took very aggressively and it was great fun although I never managed a striper. I have never got around to trying the tactic here in Dorset but it must be worth a try, however the US gurnards were much bigger that the ones I typically caught in Dorset so maybe our smaller local fish might shy away from a surface lure, who knows?

Nice interesting report & photos Flipper - well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Back