• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Has anybody had a problem with the Penn XR being extremley tight fitting?

Moony

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore

I take it you mean the Spigots are tight ?

And welcome to TSF.. (y)

Ian.

Welcome to the Madhouse Moony.

Not sure what you mean?
By Penn XR, I guess you mean a Penn rod, but there are a number of versions. Not sure what you mean by extremely tight fitting?
A little more Info would help.

I had the same problem with one of mine, used some very fine grit emery paper and gently rubbed around the spigot. Worked a treat, but be very careful though and it could end up loose and the sections part when casting also wasted your money.

By the way Welcome (y)

I'd give it a go with some graphite from a soft pencil lead first. Using anything abrasive got to be a last resort
Not if it's done properly and not ham fisted.

I seem to remember that Century rod spigots are a b’ugger to seperate when new, they say “No Abrasives” should be used to ease the joint as they are a ground fit.

Maybe Penn rods are the same ? Graphite probably the way forward .

Dave

I seem to remember that Century rod spigots are a b’ugger to seperate when new, they say “No Abrasives” should be used to ease the joint as they are a ground fit.

Maybe Penn rods are the same ? Graphite probably the way forward .

Dave
I used silicone grease on mine and kept twisting it whilst pulling in & out as you do so. Gave it a good wipe inside & out, and a VERY thin smear of silicone afterwards. I think sometimes they appear tight due to a little residue remaining after manufacture.

I brought a pair of Penn Tidal XR rods and one was far to tight on the spigot, so wrapped used 600 grit emery paper extremely gently just the once and it now fits nice and snug. Worked for me (y)

As Ollie said yesterday, looks like another 'Hit & Run'. OP yesterday evening and vanished 17mins later.

He might prove me wrong & be back on later.

Back