• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast HEADS OF JANUARY..................USUAL SUSPECTS

Mukiwa

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys,

It's been a long time, sorry to all of you. It's been a long road, with work and health issues. But to cap it all, my partner lost her dad, to covild just after Christmas and then on tuesday she lost her sister to cancer.

So amongest the trauma, the was goodness in that it brought the distant family closer.

Any how , on a lighter note, here with two sessions I had recently, if you guys dont mind.
20220113_105819.jpg

Font Rectangle Circle Number Document

A wish to catch............a fish. Oh I do not like this time of year, long cold days and nights, although it's been very mild up to now. I wish that the night time hours were reversed, with long summer nights.

Christmas and New Year, behind us. I found some time to have two sessions chasing......... anything.

The first was to our local western shore. Why ..........ooooh why do I go there. sitting by the waters edge, hand full of rag, knowing that my chances of blanking are very high. Starting A long walk with positive thoughts against the negitive, especally as the dark, water bearing clouds surrounded me.

I have this internal fight, to try a different mark, but gravitate to the usual........ why?‍♂️. Setting up, casting baited rigs, I settle to watch the world go by. The sound of lapping water, with sets of ships wake crashing down on to the shore in perfect harmony.

Water Sky Cloud Plant Slope

Keeping my rod tips low, which remained motionless, a disturbance caught my eye. A bird at speed, working the calm water from left to right. Well never seen one before, quick photo and whatsapp chat with the lads, came back as juvenile razor bill auk. Well that's exciting.

Water Bird Liquid Fluid Beak

The cold wind on my back, and huddled behind a small bank, the rain ....... then snow? came and went. Fingers failing, nails on fire, and toes numb, the sun start to set. Time to walk home , but the five mile walk with numb feet, was going to be fun, a sensation of you know you walking ok, but looking down to make sure they are still there. Expecting a blank, I was not disappointed, but rather enjoyed the time by the water, seeing a new bird, which seems to be stalking @Goateeblank in his fishing adventures, at the moment.....?

My second session, was Gilkicker fort. I dont fish there as much as I used to, but thinking that the tides were small, it would give me the chance to keep busy clearing the Whiting from the area.

Merryleggs dropping me off at 21:00, at the car park, after driving though showers of fine misty rain, you know the stuff, the rain that make you wetter faster. Lol

Quickly removing my kit from the car, goodbye hug from merrylegs, watching the car drive away, knowing that there goes any warmth till the morning.

Not to worry, kit in hand, off I march to my chosen spot, with top quality blow lug, rag, mackerel and squid from my mate at Lure Lodge.

Vertebrate Organism Fin Water Yellow

I dont mind the walk, looking for other anglers with the rod tip lights appearing above the shingle, marking the same Hope's as I do.

Approaching the fort, I always seem to pick up speed, the airy, ghostly feeling of eyes watching you, as you pass between the shed and fort, brings hairs up on my neck and a shiver down my spine, as I look down, cutting out any noise till I get to the other side.

Bivy set up, then rods with up and over and pulley pennel rigs, bless the session, the night started.

With constant rod tipping action, from the off, landing a dog fish then another then ................. you got it........... a whiting?The shelter from the fort, bringing warmth to damp and chilly northerly breeze.

Looking around the reflection of eyes, from a safe distance of crafty foxes, watching every move I made. I Felt like a centry guard, standing to attention watching the rods, but protecting my bivy, from being robbed.

Vertebrate Organism Underwater Fish Marine biology

Low water arrived , changed my bait to squid and Mackie wrap, for that possible ray, while lug remained on the other. Wishing to report a wonderful catch of a ray or ....... cough ........ a unicorn, would have been exceptional, but not to be, but a busy night of dogs, whiting, pout, conger, and bass was had.

Food Seafood Fish Cuisine Ingredient

Low water was the only period that returned to motionless rod tips, which became a struggle, as I found myself at the back of my bivy, covered up, keeping warm, but with eye lids that seem to have their own opinion in staying open.

Seafood Fluid Fish Marine biology Cuisine

The flooding tide brought back the fish, and regained some warmth, as the fishing returned to the usual suspects for this time of year.

Terrestrial plant Wood Geology Electric blue Rock

Finally 5 am Had come, a text from merryleggs that she is on her way to collect me, signaled the end of a very busy session , slowly packing up, everything soggy from the due, i Starting my walk back to the carpark, changing direction, there was no way I am going back behind the fort opting to go infront of it.

Vertebrate Blue Organism Seafood Fish

As I approach the carpark, a gent / fellow angler, walking towards me, Stopping to chat, with the usual conservation, adding the mark I fished, was great for the chance of a unicorn. Politely asking when was the last time he caught one, ......... a second or two silence ?............. ten years ago. That sudden feeling you got it right, excitement... ......... it's possible, followed by deflated , cheers and enjoy you morning walk lol .

The warmth arrived bearing a hot cup of coffee, wave of nectar breaking over my tongue, as we drove back home with, the smell of bait stained clothes filling the car. Delightful lol.

Thank you for reading, wish you all very tight lines, and hope you manage a spieces or two out of the ordinary

Cheers

Mukiwa

Sorry to hear of your losses.it must have been bloody awful :(
Cracking report and great pics. Good effort(y)(y)
Thank you for you kind comments mate.

It's been a tough year, but hopefully normality is around the corner, , that was till the car broke down today, £600 for a new clutch,

Can only but laugh lol.

Tight lines to you mate

What a brilliant report mate, I’m sorry to read of the losses your family have suffered, but I’m glad you found some solace in the fishing, sometimes just being there is enough.

What a brilliant report mate, I’m sorry to read of the losses your family have suffered, but I’m glad you found some solace in the fishing, sometimes just being there is enough.
Thank you so much for the very kind words, so glad you enjoyed the report.

It has been a very sad time. But like you say, findong solice in the fishing, being by the water was the best relief ever.

Tight lines and stay safe.

Best wishes

Gavin

Nice busy session there wacker well done mate send ML my best hope to here more of yer sessions always a cracking read ma Bute ?

Back