• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Hebrides trout fishing

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Not been sea fishing for a couple of weeks as I'm on my annual trip fly fishing for trout. Got to admit to being addicted to this trip having done the same trip for many years.
The first thing you hope for on one of these trips is wind, preferably 15-25 mph, second is cloud cover, as dark as possible and thirdly wind from the west or south west ideally.
We've had far too much sun and far too little wind and now it is blowing a bit it's generally from the east !!
The only benefit of this weather is the spectacular sunsets. The one below is shot 'raw' and has not been photoshopped at all
B783DAD8-4199-422F-AA5A-F834FF96BC82.jpeg
Back to the fishing, it's been hard work but as always enjoyable fishing a team of 3 traditional flies infront of a drifting boat for totally wild brown trout.
Best fish so far was just under two pounds, but we have 3 days left and on good lochs each day so hopeful of something bigger796DDEEE-2379-49E9-80BE-841162957748.jpeg

Great report Mick, and fabulous photos, especially that sunset! Well done - enjoy the rest of your trip! ????

My son caught today the best one of the trip so far, a nice brownie of 2 lbs 10 oz. We both thought it would go over 3 lbs but two sets of scales agree with the above weight. He deserves it as he tied up over 300 flies for his first trip up here in the month before the trip. Caught on a mallard & hares earA468B428-1FA7-4F3A-8C30-F8AF5D055FC1.jpeg

Cracking sunset and a couple of cracking troots.
300 flies in a month is certainly dedication. I assume he only used a handful of patterns? I used to do the same for trips to Altnaharra and many patterns are still unused in boxes nearly 30 years later.

Cracking sunset and a couple of cracking troots.
300 flies in a month is certainly dedication. I assume he only used a handful of patterns? I used to do the same for trips to Altnaharra and many patterns are still unused in boxes nearly 30 years later.

I think he's tied about 10 of each pattern and thankfully there's not a blob amongst them. Only traditional Scottish and Irish patterns.
You're right though, many will remain unused in his box 30 years from now as is the case with my fly box!

Last day here and a long trip home ahead, so we only fished a few hours. Somehow managed to squeeze the 3 of us plus the 9 stone dog into the boat. I ghillied whilst son and wife fished in the morning. Both had a fish. Wife loves dapping, as she tends to tangle everything in the vicinity if she casts a fly line. She caught hers with the dapping fly skimming as we motored to the next drift.
I fished in the afternoon with my son and caught the last fish of the trip, a nice brownie of just under a pound and a half.
727E341A-19C1-4328-89E7-551BDA595069.jpeg
Can't wait to come back again next year and fingers crossed for rain, wind and grey skies!

Back