• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Herne Bay

Ken

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Went out for a short session on a small tide just as the sun set. Strange because Met Office said wind would drop back to 7 after 8pm ish....... liars ! Only around five or six degrees and a good breeze, made it a not totally pleasant return to fishing after an almost two year break.

Good news is , not a single whiting :)

Started quietly , other than one crab that clung onto bluey all the way home , nothing fed. Then as high approached around 8.15 a mid sized dog arrived and broke the duck. Then on high , 9pm ish , a skate around 4.5lb arrived..... target achieved. That was it , bates returned untouched and so we headed off home. What I did notice was the amount of dog crap in the grassy areas, and the *anker with the stella can , whos hound wanted to eat our bait, and did not seem to understand social distancing until my son reminded him with a polite sod off ! All seem to be becoming a bit of an issue ....... if anyone knows of any blue uniforms , me thinks a message to the effect that perhaps the tossers need moving on if the eastern end of the front is to return to polite usage.

nice to get a ray mate and yep dog poo and walkers are a pain in the arse..
as usual the minority let the majority down though... from may till October they are not actually allowed on the beach but it won't stop mr small with his big accessory I mean dog lol

Last time I fished near the Kings Hall the dog problem was horrendous. You had to pay more attention to dogs raiding your gear than looking at the rod tip.
Perhaps it will be better in May when dogs are not allowed on the beach?

Always a problem, but as you say the minority spoil it for the majority. I pretty much only fish at night though as the promenade gets too busy. Anglers also need to take responsibility, frustrating when you see a 6-inch filleting knife left on a chopping board and a toddler scooter by only yards from it!

Well done on finding a ray though, and yes no whiting on your return trip must have been a welcome surprise!

Unfortunately dog owners only learn when there untrained rubbish eats a baited hook.
Problem with that is the thicko's then blame the Angler. The Dog owners are untrained too.

Unfortunately dog owners only learn when there untrained rubbish eats a baited hook.
A Labrador tried to eat skanky mackerel off my baiting board last week..so I smacked it across the chops ...next thing the owner of the dog came over and told me off...I asked her what I was doing..she said I was fishing..so I asked her if I might have been using hooks...?
She realised then.

A Labrador tried to eat skanky mackerel off my baiting board last week..so I smacked it across the chops ...next thing the owner of the dog came over and told me off...I asked her what I was doing..she said I was fishing..so I asked her if I might have been using hooks...?
She realised then.
Does my head in,most dogs here wouldn't last five minutes on the farm or working. Not the dogs fault! A shotgun and a shovel should be for the owners.

A friend once said... " no such thing as a bad dog, only bad owners" ! I used to think there were laws about having a hound in a public place and keeping it on a lead...also about not picking up its muck. Seems we fine motorists and propose rod licences, but we give money to tossers for stella ! Kings Hall is a lovely area with a hard ride all the way to the hills for exercise and walking , all costs a fortune to create and maintain, but we need to ensure it is not spoiled and taken over by tossers. When we asked the guy to socially distance and go away with his dog, he became leary, would we be in bother if he received a slap ? ... or do we receive a free dose of Covid as the prize for going out to enjoy the outdoor ? .

Last time I fished near the Kings Hall the dog problem was horrendous. You had to pay more attention to dogs raiding your gear than looking at the rod tip.
Perhaps it will be better in May when dogs have to be on leads?

Perhaps it will be better in May when dogs have to be on leads?
They cheat then by having them on extension leads! I've been tripped over and bound up like a mummy before! Then get in trouble with the harbor miester for swearing!!!!!!

Every dog that goes in my shed eats a hook...... that sharpens the owners up.
I just say "oh fidos eaten my bait" at first then just shrug..... "and unfortunately you need to get him to the vet hes eaten my hooks"
Works every time.....they get all concerned at that point and I just shrug like they did.

Lifes too short , just like tossers on the road ,everyone makes mistakes , dumb dogs and owners do as well, just avoid the places where the public swarm , dont put a dog through unnecessary grief at the vets, especially with general anaesthetic .
dunno about anyone else , i like to fish in relative solitude, Not to run conflicts, gave up on a few spots like herne bay and clacton for exactly that reason

Middle of the night works for me. I don’t do daylight ‘cos I’m an antisocial curmudgeon and I hate all the people stopping to chat. I go fishing for peace and quiet.... if it was just dogs without owners I’d be fine!! ?

Well done on the ray btw (the threads gone off piste a little!) I was out the same night, had 2 to 5lbs 6oz... the bigger of the two fought really hard, more like a smut than a ray!

Was there a nasty breeze where you were Storm ?
Didn't see any tip lights in the distance towards the towers ;)

Was there a nasty breeze where you were Storm ?
Didn't see any tip lights in the distance towards the towers ;)
Not that far from you, you were looking in the right direction tho!!
the breeze died off a couple of hours into the ebb, it was pretty calm by the time I went home.

Back