• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Honda 2hp Bolts

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
When i was trying to sort out engine problems the other day i noticed 2 bolts that tighten a part (swivel case) that half fits round the stem were loose (on picture on stem under the control arm). So i tightened them up but then the stem would not swivel around, so slackenend them off.

Should these bolts be tight? Or just enough so stem can swivel?
IMG_20220817_142459745.jpg

My Mariner 3.3 has a wing nut on one side so you can tighten it up to set the motor in a straight line. Think that’s use on little sailboats where steerage is from main rudder. Leave them slack on a tender where the motor provides steerage.

My Yamaha 4 has the same set up as Seabob. Maybe you need to some loctite threadlock Dutch? Dealer will be able to tell you

When i was trying to sort out engine problems the other day i noticed 2 bolts that tighten a part (swivel case) that half fits round the stem were loose (on picture on stem under the control arm). So i tightened them up but then the stem would not swivel around, so slackenend them off.

Should these bolts be tight? Or just enough so stem can swivel?
View attachment 31046
If you are unsure what to do with outboards and how to maintain them, I suggest you go on a charter boat for fishing etc. Other alternative is to buy a manual and learn how to look after it. What worries me is you are going out to sea without a clue. Sorry if truth hurts but we don't want to hear about another person lost at sea.

yes there is a wing nut to tighten up on the side to stop it going round, but these are the two bolts that hold the clamp around the shaft.

If you are unsure what to do with outboards and how to maintain them, I suggest you go on a charter boat for fishing etc. Other alternative is to buy a manual and learn how to look after it. What worries me is you are going out to sea without a clue. Sorry if truth hurts but we don't want to hear about another person lost at sea.
I do have the manual, but it does not mention those bolts, it does mention the thumb screw. That is why i asked the question.

I do look after it, but illness and covid over the last couple of years prevented me using it.

No need to worry, YES i do have a clue and that is why i have asked the question before i use it on the water.

I do not go OUT to sea in the dingy that this engine fits, i only use it within a tidal estuary (i know still could be a dangerous place).
I always wear a life jacket when on the water either on my dingy or any other members fishing boats and on a yacht.

Thanks for your concerns about my safety.

I do have the manual, but it does not mention those bolts, it does mention the thumb screw. That is why i asked the question.

I do look after it, but illness and covid over the last couple of years prevented me using it.

No need to worry, YES i do have a clue and that is why i have asked the question before i use it on the water.

I do not go OUT to sea in the dingy that this engine fits, i only use it within a tidal estuary (i know still could be a dangerous place).
I always wear a life jacket when on the water either on my dingy or any other members fishing boats and on a yacht.

Thanks for your concerns about my safety.
Pleased to hear it Dutch, enjoy and tight lines ;)

My out board has a steering friction lever that loosens the stem for close slow maneuvering and tightens it for longer faster straight line driving.
That's probably what the wing nut is for.
I hope your running that with it in a barrel of water. Don't want to teach you how to suck egges but the engine must be peeing while running.

My out board has a steering friction lever that loosens the stem for close slow maneuvering and tightens it for longer faster straight line driving.
That's probably what the wing nut is for.
I hope your running that with it in a barrel of water. Don't want to teach you how to suck egges but the engine must be peeing while running.
No pee pipe, Its air cooled!(y)(y)

Back