• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Hook choice

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Found a an old stash of dexter wedges while cleaning out a shed today.

Gonna use them as some weights on a set of feathers in the summer for bait fishing. They all have rusted rings and tremble hooks on them so looking to change them over to single hooks due to the snaggy ground I be using them over.

Any specific hooks to use was looking at a size 1 or two hooks but what type?

I use Mustad Kaiju hooks on the lures that I have replaced the Trebles with singles.

1707210664246.jpeg

I have quite a few Savage Gear metals (Seeker, Surf Seeker) and it's great that they come with a Treble hook, but there is also the correct single hook in the pack if you want to change them.

Helluva thick in the wire unfortunately, why the need for hooks to be 2x or 4x thickness it is not as if we are trying to hook moby dick's big brother
I was thinking exactly the same when I was reading it. A std hook all I want to catch a few mackrel for bait fish 😕 Not asking for much !!

I was thinking exactly the same when I was reading it. A std hook all I want to catch a few mackrel for bait fish 😕 Not asking for much !!
I could be corrected, but you really need single hooks with an inline eye on a lure, and I haven't seen any much different to the Mustads.

I could be corrected, but you really need single hooks with an inline eye on a lure, and I haven't seen any much different to the Mustads.
What I was getting at is the need for 2x or 4x wire strength don't need that capacity

The Dexter Wedge is an old school metal that doesn’t need an inline orientated single hook. In fact you’d probably want an extra split ring to bring it back into line.
Any hook would be fine really, especially since it’s on the tail of the lure. And if the target is mackerel, then maybe an assist hook would suffice.

The Dexter Wedge is an old school metal that doesn’t need an inline orientated single hook. In fact you’d probably want an extra split ring to bring it back into line.
Any hook would be fine really, especially since it’s on the tail of the lure. And if the target is mackerel, then maybe an assist hook would suffice.
I usealy use day glow feathers for mackies.

Yep, I confess, I forgot that the OP mentioned using it on a Dexter wedge. Good (hook) point!

i have swapped some of my lure hooks over { limitless chinu }ones , light strong

Found a an old stash of dexter wedges while cleaning out a shed today.

Gonna use them as some weights on a set of feathers in the summer for bait fishing. They all have rusted rings and tremble hooks on them so looking to change them over to single hooks due to the snaggy ground I be using them over.

Any specific hooks to use was looking at a size 1 or two hooks but what type?

If you are fishing over rough snaggy ground, the what we do is replace the treble with twin assists (slow jig style) at the TOP of the dexter.

Just putting the assist on the same split ring as the dexter works ok, but for a little more refinement place a solid ring exactly the length of the assist cord to hookbend, ABOVE the dexter.

If the tide is running, and I don't have a heavy enough Dexter, then I use a slow jig under the feathers (tinsels).

Last edited:
Im looking to replace some trebles on lures and want a strong hook 🙂....for a trip abroad.....any recommendations?......ill go the above mustad route for singles....and use the seeker singles i probably have lying around in a lure box🤔

Both those brands do good patterns in 2 x and heavier gauges. Also the good old VMC Permasteel like you find on Rapala Magnums and Super Shads etc (9556 is the pattern number iirc?). Jacks etc can be hard on trebles so take a couple of spares, a set of suitable split ring pliers and a method of sharpening/honing. I like the 'ez lap' style diamond coated rod - mines a Berkeley model (black and red, pen shaped) and a section of the black and white emery board stolen from the GF, for final honing. I like to crush barbs down a bit until they form a rounded hump. They penetrate better, hold plenty well enough and make for an easy release.

Both those brands do good patterns in 2 x and heavier gauges. Also the good old VMC Permasteel like you find on Rapala Magnums and Super Shads etc (9556 is the pattern number iirc?). Jacks etc can be hard on trebles so take a couple of spares, a set of suitable split ring pliers and a method of sharpening/honing. I like the 'ez lap' style diamond coated rod - mines a Berkeley model (black and red, pen shaped) and a section of the black and white emery board stolen from the GF, for final honing. I like to crush barbs down a bit until they form a rounded hump. They penetrate better, hold plenty well enough and make for an easy release.
Thats brilliant info, thanks a lot👍

If i can give some info back, i find a small steel file works much better than the diamond type (i have the EZ type) something like a "Jag" file like the carp lads use, works very well on sea hooks👍....they also do a diamond type to go with it, but i don't find its required 👍

Last edited:
Back