• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Hook Snood Strength & Colour

The Stronger the snood the better, & does colour of line matter. You can make 2 choices

• As strong as possible

• Breaking strain to suit the species

• Different colours for different situations, yes

• Different colours,no just stick with one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thameside

Reaction score
For years have always used 15lb black amnesia, but a couple of years ago started going lighter breaking strain.
For Soles use 6lb ( I think) clear fluorocarbon.
Otherwise use clear amnesia in 10lb.
As most of my fishing is estuary & lucky to catch anything over 3lb so I am thinking of trying 6lb green amnesia .
Also maybe stick with 15lb for black snoods.
Clear for 10lb & the green for 6lb.
Just to make it easier when getting rigs out of wallet.
Just wondered if others are using stronger snoods than they need & also do you use different colour hook lines when targeting specific fish or does it make no difference .

I use bulk Daiwa Sensor mono, varies from 6lb for mullet, 15 & 18lb for shore fishing depending on conditions & ground etc. Also use a 10x shock leader for the weight off the beach. Mainly 12lb for hook length.

For winter beach fishing ( if I ever get to the beach again ☹️) all my hooklengths are at least 50lb, the cod and whiting dont seem to mind, neither do the flatties or dogs, if they arent bothered I certainly arent .

Colour, well, personally I use whatever colour I happen to have , not really fussed, as again the fish dont seem to care. even using bright yellow, orange or red for hooklengths has made no difference to me in winter.

Summer species are a different thing entireley, I like clear flouro for Bass, usually about 15 lb, I dont fish for flats, so have nothing to say on that subject, rough ground cod in summer, again, anything goes. Other species I tailor my rigs to the conditions I am fishing.

The choices in the above survey are too simplistic, there are more variations than choices imo.

Dave

I’m more interested in diameter and abrasion resistance if required.
So for flatties id go to 15lb Amnesia but for hussing off the rocks it’s more like 60lb.
Nothing to do with the power of the fish and all to do with the terrain and conditions.
Surf beach bass or ray fishing, usually 30lb.

For the lighter estuary fishing the OP does, nothing wrong with those breaking strains if you’re not worried about abrasion and fishing clean ground.
If I was mullet fishing then I’d go very light, 5lb maybe...

30 and 40lb clear amnesia , to many tangles on lighter line
I agree. There’s a few instances such as flattie fishing where I go down to 15lb, usually as a stand off snood from a stiffer rig body.

But yes, anything too long often ends up with tangles so 30 or 40 is quite often my go to as well

I tend not to worry about snood strengths as much as I do rig bodies, and since I acquired a big spool of 20Lb clear fluorocarbon some time ago, rightly or wrongly, I tend to default to that. It does me for the species I'm usually after anyway, though would like to have a go after some Plaice when the weather improves so may have to have a rethink.

I tend not to worry about snood strengths as much as I do rig bodies, and since I acquired a big spool of 20Lb clear fluorocarbon some time ago, rightly or wrongly, I tend to default to that. It does me for the species I'm usually after anyway, though would like to have a go after some Plaice when the weather improves so may have to have a rethink.
A spool that size would be just right for long lining, next on the list will be a bulk supply of hooks and a couple of anchors and a polystyrene dan and a tea towel as a flag. - Sorted (y)

I make all my rig bodies from my shock leader spools (60 or 80lb) and then usually use the same line for my snoods.
2 hook clipped rigs, sometimes I'll use 20-30lb line for the snoods if I'm after smaller stuff.

My reasoning is very much the same as others, the fish don't seem to care at all. I've had whiting on 7/0 hooks with a fillet of mackerel, and the only sole I've ever caught was by accident on a 4/0 loaded with blacks for cod.

For boat fishing, I us 60lb or 80lb for most stuff and 20lb for 3 hook flapper snoods and any rotten bottoms.

The only exceptions to this is when fishing for tope or congers where it's 250lb mono snoods.
Or if there's loads of good huss about in which case it's also 250lb as you don't have to keep changing the snoods every 5 or so fish.

The choices in the above survey are too simplistic, there are more variations than choices imo.

Dave
Tried to keep it simple for the poll.

If I go down the coast then tend to stick to 15lb line.
Seperatley why I started going for lighter hook lengths was to stop loosing rigs.
As main line is 15-18lb with a 60lb+ tapered leader.
So decided that hopefully if I do get snagged up either the hook will bend out or the snood will break due to a lighter breaking strain.
This is assuming that it is the hook & not the lead that has snagged.
It seems to have worked so far.

Tried to keep it simple for the poll.

If I go down the coast then tend to stick to 15lb line.
Seperatley why I started going for lighter hook lengths was to stop loosing rigs.
As main line is 15-18lb with a 60lb+ tapered leader.
So decided that hopefully if I do get snagged up either the hook will bend out or the snood will break due to a lighter breaking strain.
This is assuming that it is the hook & not the lead that has snagged.
It seems to have worked so far.
Which is fine until the day you catch a dream fish and your 15lb trace breaks.
When I started out I went down the ‘use a light trace, won’t lose much gear and I’m only fishing for whiting’ route, but after losing a couple of good fish I realised how daft I was. (Yes, it took me more than one occasion lol).

But then we’re talking broken ground marks in that instance so if you’re fishing light in estuaries etc then it’s a bit different.

A spool that size would be just right for long lining, next on the list will be a bulk supply of hooks and a couple of anchors and a polystyrene dan and a tea towel as a flag. - Sorted (y)
Yeah!!! Why fek about! Chuck it out on an evening go pub and pick it up next morning.

Back