• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Humber & East Coast Hornsea trip report

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening folks

Here is a thrown together hotchpotch, that I dare to call a trip report.
Myself and my daughter are pretty new to the sport, having a coarse fishing background but with a whole lot of stuff to learn about sea fishing.
No fishing action of late due to a chaotic house move, this had been on the calendar for months and was eagerly anticipated by myself and the youngster.
(We had sneaked in a couple of hours at a local pond at the weekend, but both agreed that now we had a taste for sea fishing, coarse fishing does seem a bit tame sometimes!)

In my giddiness I had misread the tide times and only realised that I had misread hight tide for low tide, but after reassurance from other forum members (and the local tackle shop), we settled on our usual haunt of Morrow Avenue in Hornsea.
Accessible beach, free parking and probably our closest coast as the crow flies.
(We almost went to Mappleton, but the tackle shop owner convinced us to go to Morrow, not tomorrow!)
t1.jpg

Weather was good, dry with an onshore wind, which took away any heat from the sun.

After our last trip (very rough sea, high tide, both got drenched) we had learnt a few lessons, but still have a LOT to learn. The two rods/cabers/telegraph posts which I had bought cheap, were ok for me, but too heavy for the young ‘un, so her set-up was a lighter rig on an 8ft spinning rod, with a Blue Peter tripod.

We had bought some frozen lug (which fell to pieces), already had half a box of squid, and bought a pair of stinky mackerel (£1-a-go, bargain!)

t4.jpg

Both of us used scratcher/flapper rigs, her rig was with non-breakaway leads, mine were breakaways.

t2.jpg

The tide was right out, but there were a lot of dogwalkers and a fair few kids running around, which left us with 2 choices
A) Set up rods from where we were sat and risk garrotting the punters/swimmers/pooches.
B) Set up rods at the water’s edge and play a game of King Canute, retreating as the tide turned.

t3.jpg

We went for plan B and immediately the bairn was into a good-sized flattie first cast, then a pair on her second cast.

t5.jpg

I had a string of tiddlers, all of which went back.

Things went quiet for an hour, then it all started up again, until a MASSIVE tangle on one pair of rods and a dog devouring our squid ended the session prematurely.

All bar one were caught on mackerel strips.
Final score: five apiece (4 of mine were too small and went back in).

t6.jpg

Lessons learned:
1) Have more rigs ready tied. The monster tangle stopped play in its tracks.
2) Read the tide times more carefully.
3) Take less gear, we had to leapfrog everything down to the beach and back up again.
4) Get out more often. We were both rustier than my poor old forceps which I had not washed last time out.
5) Try different tactics. The youngster had unfixed leads and was getting more bites and better fish. Fluke (no pun intended) or maybe better on the day?

That’s all for now folks.
Tight lines to you all! 🎣

Great report mate. And fantastic pics too. It's all a learning curve, but you will get there. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Nice one, few fish caught, a few to take home, daughter outfished you (perfectly normal state of affairs!)

It’s good that you’re picking up on errors or things you could do better and learning from it.
You can read all you like on the internet and obviously we’re all happy to offer advice but there’s no real substitute in getting out there and learning things for yourself, plus the lessons really sink in then!

And yep, as Ollie said, flatties often like a moving bait, plus of course it’s then covering more ground so increasing your chances.
They’ll often lie in ambush for their small prey so a bait drifting past has more chance.
The same for bass (and other species!), they prefer to work smarter, not harder.

Sometimes of course conditions dictate you have to use a gripper, you’ll soon learn when you need to and when you can get away without it.

Also, worth mentioning that if your daughter wasn’t casting as far, she may well have been in the fish zone more than you - flatties often come in very close (depending upon the mark).

Fabulous report & great photos Tad Lad! Great to see your Daughter enjoying her self and catching fish! 🎣🎣👍👍
The more youngsters we can introduce to fishing, the better!

As Ollie & Mr Fish said, a rolling/moving bait quite often works well with Flatties.
Any food on the seabed will wash into the gullies, as will your bait, and the fish know this.

If you need more rigs, (I'm guessing you tie your own) have a look at our @kevothefish website.
He does some excellent rigs at reasonable cost. I recently bought a pack of 5 Wishbone rigs for £10.50. Cheaper if you buy more!
At £2.10 per rig, by the time I'd gone out with Jeepy and bought the (quality) components, I'd have spent more than that.

Great report and well done for getting your little one out and into some fish.
As Mr fish said, casting short can produce good results sometimes, it's all about finding where the fish are on the day.....

In order to say thank you to all of you that have welcomed me into this forum, there will be a ** 20% DISCOUNT ** on all rigs purchased from the online store until Next Friday 28th April.

I am still adding products to the shop, so if you want something that you cannot see on there drop me a message and I will sort for you.

SEASWEST RIGS (seaswestshop.uk)

Discount code is: SEAS2023 (just enter this when prompted on checkout)

335098869_621445529793112_3802363669321763977_n.jpg

Back