• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Hounds on chesil part 2

charr

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Morning everyone
Had a hard day at work yesterday but was
determined to have another go at the hounds last night. Better tide but didn’t get set up until 7.15pm high around 7.45pm
Spiders a pain from the off but no sign of
dogs .Baits same as last time squid cocktails and fished a different part of the
beach, I’m not sure marks make a difference with hounds as the packs come thru at certain times.Around 9pm Zzzzzzzzz
hound on !!! Just when the spiders were
playing statues !! giving me a heads up the hounds had arrived a good tussle and 8lb
of chesil hound was on the beach
Had 3 more 4 to 6 lb then they disappeared
Packed up at 11pm short but productive
sess
Stay lucky
Gray

Attachments

• 2BC7856F-8C4C-45A8-B8FB-FFFB5590084A.jpeg
    2BC7856F-8C4C-45A8-B8FB-FFFB5590084A.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 8F72C6B6-3983-494F-9AF3-A70229363103.jpeg
    8F72C6B6-3983-494F-9AF3-A70229363103.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 5
  • E267FBCC-FEED-4097-B4DF-39F356772198.jpeg
    E267FBCC-FEED-4097-B4DF-39F356772198.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 5
  • B46DB9B9-B314-4100-BFCB-375D0BC59D3C.jpeg
    B46DB9B9-B314-4100-BFCB-375D0BC59D3C.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice report & photos Gray! Well done on the Woofy Sharkey things! ?? (y) (y)

Well done Gray. Great result mate. Love the sound of a flying Saltist……… I need to get out for a session asap.

Thanks guys for the positive comments
I do enjoy catching hounds and there’s not much else to fish for until the summer species properly arrive
Here’s a thought that you might be able to
solve , I’ve had 10 hounds in 4 trips the last few weeks and every one hooked on the top hook (Varivas chino ) do hounds go for
tail of a live squid first to disable them ?
I would appreciate some input from you guys not complaining as it works
It might be a dongle rig would have the same effect as a pennel set up
Thanks
Gray

Thanks guys for the positive comments
I do enjoy catching hounds and there’s not much else to fish for until the summer species properly arrive
Here’s a thought that you might be able to
solve , I’ve had 10 hounds in 4 trips the last few weeks and every one hooked on the top hook (Varivas chino ) do hounds go for
tail of a live squid first to disable them ?
I would appreciate some input from you guys not complaining as it works
It might be a dongle rig would have the same effect as a pennel set up
Thanks
Gray
I use a single 3/0 owner hook with half a crab on. The chinu is a good strong pattern as well . The reason for fish being hooked in the top hook the majority of times is its the first hook out the mouth of the fish so if the fishes mouth is closed in goes the top hook when the fish swims off

Last edited:
They are hunting in a pack so they get the food straight down before their mates nick it..... hence one of the only species who get the top pennel consistently.

I use a single 3/0 owner hook with half a crab on. The chinu is a good strong pattern as well . The reason for fish being hooked in the top hook the majority of times is its the first hook out the mouth of the fish so if the fishes mouth is closed in goes the top hook when the fish swims off
Thanks Jackjock
I understand now what’s happening with your explanation, circle or semi circle for
pennels is the way forward

Last edited:
They are hunting in a pack so they get the food straight down before their mates nick it..... hence one of the only species who get the top pennel consistently.
Morning Pete
I was going to call you for your thoughts
you beat me to it . Makes perfect sense
about the pack aggression
I’m busy over the holidays but catch up
soon
Thanks again everyone for the comments
Gray

Hounds have quite small mouths for big fish, the bottom hook is essentially to hold the bait, with the top hook acting a bit like a carp anglers bolt rig, with the hook turning and grabbing hold as the fish runs (in theory anyway). Smaller crab and squid baits get a better hook up rate but you still drop a few.

Hounds have quite small mouths for big fish, the bottom hook is essentially to hold the bait, with the top hook acting a bit like a carp anglers bolt rig, with the hook turning and grabbing hold as the fish runs (in theory anyway). Smaller crab and squid baits get a better hook up rate but you still drop a few.
Yep
I get that Squidword
I find the same you do not need a large bait
for hounds just a nicely presented scenty
bait .I use a 3/0 on point and a 2/0 chinu
on the pennel
Few years ago I was fishing Minehead
with my friend Craig Butler he fished
half a medium peeler result 8lb hound
The other half went out resulting in a
17.5lbs cod !!!!
Just shows how scent plays a important