• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

How different things were years ago

Bothrops

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
As an oldish git please indulge me as I delve into some shore fishing nostalgia. I started shore fishing seriously as a teenager back in the sixties around Portsmouth where the favourite marks were Gillkicker, Stokes Bay, Eastney, Hayling Island and last but by no means least Pompey harbour.
No surprise that the main species were bass, flounders, plaice pouting, whiting and the occasional dogfish and codling. In those days smoothhound were never caught from local beaches, ever, nor were rays of any description. I think that start of the smoothhound bonanza, particularly around the Selsey area a few decades ago,must have coincided with the arrival to our shores of spider crabs, a species again that never featured at all back in the day. Maybe the same conclusion can be drawn about ray fishing but I have no real idea.

From Pompey we occasionally ventured down to Taddiford and Hordle which then had good reputations for sole and even maybe a small eyed ray or two but today rays are by comparison quite prolific all along the Solent coast which again was never the case back then. Strap congers now seem to feature regularly, a species once normally associated with deep water rocky coasts, but now they seem to turn up everywhere even from open sandy beaches. Maybe I was a rubbish angler but in those early days back in the sixties and seventies neither I nor any of my fishing pals ever caught a ray, smoothhound or conger from the local beaches.

Pompey harbour around the Tipner firing range was an absolute banker for plentiful flounder some of which regularly exceeded 3lbs and sport was more or less guaranteed with hardly any blank sessions during the prime months of November and December. How different it is today with the pot bait boys having almost wiped them out as a reliable catch.Casting and beach gear were also areas where change has been phenomenal due to the inevitable march of progress. Back then beachcasters we’re usually soft or brutally stiff and fishing with old Mitchell multipliers guaranteed hours spent untangling birds nests!

Then along came ABU multipliers and suddenly things became a bit more manageable as far as casting was concerned. I remember what a dream it was to cast with my first ABU 7000. All the top anglers like John Darling, Clive Gammon and Lesley Moncrieff were making headlines with their cod catches at Dungeness where hundred yard plus casts were needed to reach the “dustbin” an area where the cod congregated. Thus was born the pendulum cast and rods designed to exploit it. Unfortunately many of these stiff beasts like the Conolon and Zziplex Dream Machines were unforgiving in the hands of normal mortals and not optimised for fixed spool reels, so 100 yard casts with bait remained a distant dream for the majority of anglers who were confined to the overhead thump and modest distances. Fast forward to recent times and we now have ultra effective, long 14ft and 15ft beachcasters that allow anglers using that same restrictive overhead thump to reach 100 yard plus casts quite easily, certainly a game changer where distance is a determining factor in whether you catch fish or not.

Of course all the above ramblings are just my personal perspectives and others of a similar age might well have had different experiences. But one thing remains constant for me regardless of changing conditions, available species and tackle technology and that’s the almost childlike buzz of expectation and anticipation every time I arrive at my mark, bait up and make that first cast. This has never dimmed during my angling career whether it be fly fishing in river and sea, lure fishing or shore fishing and I guess it must be the same for the majority of anglers otherwise why would we do it? Long May it last.

I still got a Mitchell multiplyer reel and I still got my first 3 rods 2 solid fibreglass shore rods and a ? 12ft beach caster , probably lucky to cast 60 yards

I still have an Abu 464 and an Intrepid Pirate, both in good working order, the reel is like new and must give it an outing someday with some new mono on.

Still have a screw fitting by wood handle 2 piece around 6ft long solid fibreglass boat rod.

As an oldish git please indulge me as I delve into some shore fishing nostalgia. I started shore fishing seriously as a teenager back in the sixties around Portsmouth where the favourite marks were Gillkicker, Stokes Bay, Eastney, Hayling Island and last but by no means least Pompey harbour.
No surprise that the main species were bass, flounders, plaice pouting, whiting and the occasional dogfish and codling. In those days smoothhound were never caught from local beaches, ever, nor were rays of any description. I think that start of the smoothhound bonanza, particularly around the Selsey area a few decades ago,must have coincided with the arrival to our shores of spider crabs, a species again that never featured at all back in the day. Maybe the same conclusion can be drawn about ray fishing but I have no real idea.

From Pompey we occasionally ventured down to Taddiford and Hordle which then had good reputations for sole and even maybe a small eyed ray or two but today rays are by comparison quite prolific all along the Solent coast which again was never the case back then. Strap congers now seem to feature regularly, a species once normally associated with deep water rocky coasts, but now they seem to turn up everywhere even from open sandy beaches. Maybe I was a rubbish angler but in those early days back in the sixties and seventies neither I nor any of my fishing pals ever caught a ray, smoothhound or conger from the local beaches.

Pompey harbour around the Tipner firing range was an absolute banker for plentiful flounder some of which regularly exceeded 3lbs and sport was more or less guaranteed with hardly any blank sessions during the prime months of November and December. How different it is today with the pot bait boys having almost wiped them out as a reliable catch.Casting and beach gear were also areas where change has been phenomenal due to the inevitable march of progress. Back then beachcasters we’re usually soft or brutally stiff and fishing with old Mitchell multipliers guaranteed hours spent untangling birds nests!

Then along came ABU multipliers and suddenly things became a bit more manageable as far as casting was concerned. I remember what a dream it was to cast with my first ABU 7000. All the top anglers like John Darling, Clive Gammon and Lesley Moncrieff were making headlines with their cod catches at Dungeness where hundred yard plus casts were needed to reach the “dustbin” an area where the cod congregated. Thus was born the pendulum cast and rods designed to exploit it. Unfortunately many of these stiff beasts like the Conolon and Zziplex Dream Machines were unforgiving in the hands of normal mortals and not optimised for fixed spool reels, so 100 yard casts with bait remained a distant dream for the majority of anglers who were confined to the overhead thump and modest distances. Fast forward to recent times and we now have ultra effective, long 14ft and 15ft beachcasters that allow anglers using that same restrictive overhead thump to reach 100 yard plus casts quite easily, certainly a game changer where distance is a determining factor in whether you catch fish or not.

Of course all the above ramblings are just my personal perspectives and others of a similar age might well have had different experiences. But one thing remains constant for me regardless of changing conditions, available species and tackle technology and that’s the almost childlike buzz of expectation and anticipation every time I arrive at my mark, bait up and make that first cast. This has never dimmed during my angling career whether it be fly fishing in river and sea, lure fishing or shore fishing and I guess it must be the same for the majority of anglers otherwise why would we do it? Long May it last.
Great commentary ..... yep like you an old fart who cut my teeth around pompey

Nature abhors a vacuum, or so the saying goes.
If you take out the apex predators, then lesser predators and reduce the size of the remaining stock, other species will fill the gap in the food chain. Primary, secondary and then tertiary, it’s a constant struggle and one which man has created. I never fished in the halcyon days and travel vast distances to get my fix, because of greed and stupidity.

I still got a Mitchell multiplyer reel and I still got my first 3 rods 2 solid fibreglass shore rods and a ? 12ft beach caster , probably lucky to cast 60 yards
Similar here. Still got the 12ft Milbro beachcaster my father bought me when I was about 16, recently put a new tip ring on my Edgar Sealey 7ft spinning rod as I'm probably going to pass it on to grandson, and I've got a split cane rod that is marked 'Portsea'. That looks like a boat/pier rod, and the local bus driver re-ringed it for me when I was about 15! Think my 1st Intrepid Black Prince reel is still lurking aomewhere too!

I think i had either an Intrepid Regent or Intrepid Prince reel as a 11 year old and a yellow fibre glass rod for the sea.
Can not remember what was first rod and reel for river before that.

Anybody still got a tank aerial?
Yup I still have one, used to go crucian carp fishing for little ones at my local mill pond when I was a kid. Also have an old intrepid fixed spool reel with knackered line on it, used to use a quill float and size 12 hooks with a couple of aa lead split shots.
Those were the days, also fished for small perch, minnows and brook trout down our local river also watched the water voles.

Lovely read Bothrops?Nowt wrong with a bit of nostalgia. You were obviously fishing a generation before me and must have seen and experienced some interesting times and developments!
Not quite the same but I'm still using relatively old tackle (90s?) for my codling quests and have refused the ease of the conti revolution purely because I personally find it a damn site more satisfying pendulum casting my old mk1525s and .35 mono mainline reel down than it is thumping out with FS and braid. If I had back issues it would be a no brainer but for now "easy is lame". That's why Im obsessed with lure and flyfishing in the warmer months but as always its each to there own? I wish I'd been around in the good old days of plentiful cod, salmon, sea trout etc but the best of it was over by the time I could walk so I'm told. The species mix has certainly changed here - the sea is overrun with dogfish, rays and hounds now and the Autumn/Winter run of codling are scarcer by far. The one species that has increased in my time is bass, but that's past its peak now with a massive increase in commercial pressure. As a species we seem determined to ruin our seas, land and entire planet?

Lovely read Bothrops?Nowt wrong with a bit of nostalgia. You were obviously fishing a generation before me and must have seen and experienced some interesting times and developments!
Not quite the same but I'm still using relatively old tackle (90s?) for my codling quests and have refused the ease of the conti revolution purely because I personally find it a damn site more satisfying pendulum casting my old mk1525s and .35 mono mainline reel down than it is thumping out with FS and braid. If I had back issues it would be a no brainer but for now "easy is lame". That's why Im obsessed with lure and flyfishing in the warmer months but as always its each to there own? I wish I'd been around in the good old days of plentiful cod, salmon, sea trout etc but the best of it was over by the time I could walk so I'm told. The species mix has certainly changed here - the sea is overrun with dogfish, rays and hounds now and the Autumn/Winter run of codling are scarcer by far. The one species that has increased in my time is bass, but that's past its peak now with a massive increase in commercial pressure. As a species we seem determined to ruin our seas, land and entire planet?
Your hear folk talk of buying Rock salmon & chips from a few years ago IE Dogfish or Huss. WIth the amount of Dogfish about, I don't know why they don't try to make it popular again and save some of the other species that are becoming more scarce.

They call it progress Topwater, The trawler boats now have 3d mapping units and can take a whole shoal instead of a percentage. I remember when you could shore fish for certain fish depending on the season, now it seems more hit & miss or blankety blank depending where you fish or where the water companies dump sewerage into the sea. Ours seem to get away with it and a £90m fine didn't do anything to stop them. Certainly put paid to my shore fishing for a few weeks, don't want to catch contaminated fish.

Last edited:
Drives me mad Beach. I've been contributing to the BFMP debate but don't hold out much hope to be quite honest ?

Your hear folk talk of buying Rock salmon & chips from a few years ago IE Dogfish or Huss. WIth the amount of Dogfish about, I don't know why they don't try to make it popular again and save some of the other species that are becoming more scarce.
MIL said to us once that the local Chinkie done nice fish, no bones in.
Went to her house and she was having some for tea :eek::eek::eek:fkin doggie, tasted awful.

A good read that! Well before my time too but it’s interesting how the amount of species available has evolved over time.

Even in my fishing lifetime, species such as hounds and spurdog were relatively uncommon but now they’re two a penny if you target them at the right marks and times.

Thats all we ever used to eat from the chippy in the 60's and 70's, loved it. Bit of a southern thing as I moved to the midlands in the 80's for 10 yrs and it didn't exist there.

Back