• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

How do you handle rays

Merlin 335

Reaction score
I was brought up as a son of a commercial fisherman operating out of Holyhead and wasn't taught great fish care. At work, a colleague (who is a carp angler) always comments on my youtube videos, on my poor handling of fish. So I made the decision to try to improve my fish care and in particular the way I treat thornback rays. I have always used pennel rigs when targeting these fish and on occasion they will be deep hooked, so I have been experimenting with a dongle/hair rig with a circle hook. On my last session this weekend that combination worked a treat, with all the fish hooked in the corner of the mouth. It may be coincidence, but the fish seemed to fight harder when hooked in this way.

Anyway, on to my question, until recently I always held rays for photos etc, by the snout like this

IMG_20200919_083946_2.jpg

But I was told not to do this as it is bad for the fish and was referred to the Shark Trust's guide on how to handle rays and sharks.
Now I hold the fish as horizontally as possible when taking photo etc. A couple of well known anglers locally to me had recently posted pictures online of them holding thornback rays vertically by the mouth (which is a common way to pose with rays), I commented that this maybe not the best method to hold the fish, but the comment back was basically that they thought it was okay to hold the fish this way for a few minutes to take a photo. So how do you hold rays and what do you think is the best method for safely handling these fish or any fish to may sure that they fight another day?

Prob best if you do "Videos" not to show the fish going back if your going to sling them out like that.

Holding rays on the wings seems to be fine from my experience.... Just keep clear of the gills etc..... And be gentle putting them down.
And that is exactly the video that he mentioned, plus another were I had a smooth hound and it was bleeding from the mouth. But I have grown up with that type of fish care and now wish to change it.

Would you hold a ray in the mouth?

And that is exactly the video that he mentioned, plus another were I had a smooth hound and it was bleeding from the mouth. But I have grown up with that type of fish care and now wish to change it.

Nope, just very carefully and be careful not to harm or damage it.

Last edited:
Nope, just very carefully and be careful not to arm or damage it.
So in my image at the top, would you say that I am okay holding a ray like that or to continue as I am currently doing holding it by the tail and underneath, but horizontally?

So in my image at the top, would you say that I am okay holding a ray like that or to continue as I am currently doing holding it by the tail and underneath, but horizontally?
Imo holding it flat and supporting the weight underneath (not with any weight pulling on the tail) is probably the best way but I must admit I have and still do hold them the way you have it in the first photo.

It’s the easiest way for me and some of them can get a bit chompy so I like to stay away from that bit!

Good that you’re thinking about it all though.
I’ve been trying to work on a minimal out of water time so I now have an unhooking mat/sling and only lift them for a very quick photo.

Imo holding it flat and supporting the weight underneath (not with any weight pulling on the tail) is probably the best way but I must admit I have and still do hold them the way you have it in the first photo.

It’s the easiest way for me and some of them can get a bit chompy so I like to stay away from that bit!

Good that you’re thinking about it all though.
I’ve been trying to work on a minimal out of water time so I now have an unhooking mat/sling and only lift them for a very quick photo.
That's a good idea about using a mat, I do try to unhook them, photo etc them and then get them back ASAP. But I find that I have to pick them up by the snout to be able to them hold them horizontally.

That's a good idea about using a mat, I do try to unhook them, photo etc them and then get them back ASAP. But I find that I have to pick them up by the snout to be able to them hold them horizontally.
It wasn’t cheap, about £37 but it does what I want. It’s a sling cum mat so I can unhook the fish on it, hang the mat on my scales and zero them, then weigh the fish and carry it back in the sling by the handles with minimal handling.
I mainly bought it to weigh hounds and bass because I didn’t want to hang them on the hook on the scales.
It’s a relatively new addition though.

The bass was just over 6lb, it’s a fair size sling.
You might get something cheaper on the carp gear side of things, but this one was recommended and it ticks the boxes for me.

C020FD21-565A-4CBC-AA49-49AB1D32C200.jpeg

Incidentally, my club has a rule now that fish must be weighed in a sling, bucket, bag, whatever, as long as they’re supported in something.
It was my suggestion for the AGM. I couldn’t go as I had the lurgy but just suggested that they ask members to do that, then they made it compulsory lol.

I’d seen too many pictures of hounds hanging off a hook on scales and didn’t like it one bit, especially as our comps are C&R.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of other anglers with that particular one. Thanks for the tip and nice fish!
Yes so far I’m pleased with it. It folds down into a carry bag and seems pretty robust.
When I looked around for slings, I couldn’t find much for what I need and someone, I think maybe on here, posted the link to that.

Ha, cheers! It looked well miserable but it wasn’t out of the water more than 2-3 minutes and went back well.

I do sometimes hold rays by the mouth for a picture, generally though it's by the sides of the wings.

I would think holding a ray flat without load on the tail, is probably the best way..... But how do you pick one up without grabbing a wing??..... Especially if you have your rod in one hand?

Rightly or wrongly, everyone I know picks rays up holding either side of the wing between thumb and fingers.
The rays seem fine held like this. It's only for short periods of time after all.

It's good you want to improve fish handling 👍

With the abundance of thornies in my area I rarely take a pic nowadays, if its a big then its on the ground with a mearsure stick next to it as I dont realy need to be posing with a fish, I mean how many pics do I need of me and a ray lol

Back