• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

How small do you go?

Size 6 is what i use for all my bream and mackerel fishing off my boat locally, i also use the same rigs up in Scotland off the rocks for coley, might sound silly but really does the business for coley when i go to Scotland, Fish a perk on the point followed by 4 size 6 sabiki, we get Pollock hit the perk and coley hit the sabikis, sometimes full strings, absolutely mental, End of May beginning of June off the point at Carradale is bonkers, been last 5 years (y)

4 or 6 for sole, 1s for flounder usually. But I have caught flounder on 3/0 pennel rigs for cod loaded with rag worm! it was half decent at 1lb 9oz mind you, but still, they don't mind a decent hook.

Not caught a sole before though so don't take any advice from me :p

Depends a lot on the bait . Will go down to size 6 but more than happy to use size 2's for single worm or small sandeels. Crab has been "hair rigged" under size 2 or 1 semis instead of on 3/0s for a few years now. No need to use big hooks a lot of the time
1607441883611.png

Depends what im after, 1 to 4/0s for bigger fish, 2-6 for smaller things, then down to a pretied size22 for the minis, flatties tend to use 4-6 for them

size 2 circle hooks for me ,usually used when fishing for flounder on my local surf beach with maddies as bait.
1607724247295.png
Only problem was this 8.5 lbs lady fancied them instead . She sucked the bait right in and the small hook snagged on the guts .

cracking catch, well done.

cheers
Jamie

size 2 circle hooks for me ,usually used when fishing for flounder on my local surf beach with maddies as bait.
View attachment 2312
Only problem was this 8.5 lbs lady fancied them instead . She sucked the bait right in and the small hook snagged on the guts .

Depends a lot on the bait . Will go down to size 6 but more than happy to use size 2's for single worm or small sandeels. Crab has been "hair rigged" under size 2 or 1 semis instead of on 3/0s for a few years now. No need to use big hooks a lot of the time
View attachment 2164
I like that idea for crab, just to clarify, the crab slides on the telephone wire and the hook tied as normal?

I go through 6/0 & 8/0 like they are going out of fasion for pennel uptiding (most of my fishing) but often use 4/0 for the top, smallest in my box would be size1 fine wire for flatties. Apart from that if species fishing in Ireland they get tiny (size 6) but I reffer to my fellow shipmates there as species fishing minis etc is all new to me :sneaky:

With hooks?

I tend to go down to 1/0 when I'm flattie fishing but after some threads I have read on here I'm beginning to think I should be going smaller still.

How small do you go? (Sea fishing only)
I tend to use either size 4 or 6 for flatties (plaice/dabs/flounders) seems to work just fine for me. For skate I use a 4/0 with large baits.

Back