• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

I Really Hate Headlamps

Enjoy your afternoon peeps, the boss has said we need to go supermarket shopping for the weekend. I feel a beef hotpot/stew would suit me. She can have one of the fish which is in the freezer and healthy stuff to go with it. (y)

Enjoy your afternoon peeps, the boss has said we need to go supermarket shopping for the weekend. I feel a beef hotpot/stew would suit me. She can have one of the fish which is in the freezer and healthy stuff to go with it. (y)
Wrong section Beach should be "What's on the Menu".;)(y)

Still got my old Speleo complete with Titan battery carrier but I certainly don't miss lugging it around! They were made not far from me but went to the wall around about the advent of LED/Cree technology started coming from the Far East. These days I've few modern units with rechargeable 18650 batteries. My most often used is a tiny Unilite with a red filter for night luring the bass. I always carry a bright white light unit as an emergency backup.

Wrong section Beach should be "What's on the Menu".;)(y)
The menu will be hotpot/stew for me and fish for her. Not that difficult is it , the tackle is driving the car to the supermarket and finding a parking spot.;):ROFLMAO:

Still got my old Speleo complete with Titan battery carrier but I certainly don't miss lugging it around! They were made not far from me but went to the wall around about the advent of LED/Cree technology started coming from the Far East. These days I've few modern units with rechargeable 18650 batteries. My most often used is a tiny Unilite with a red filter for night luring the bass. I always carry a bright white light unit as an emergency backup.
Yep, don’t miss those heavy batteries at all, plus the contacts were forever corroding and needed new connections or soldering.

Usually you didn’t know it was about to break until sat on a rock in the arse end of nowhere.
I remember one night having to rewire my old petzl in total darkness apart from flicking my lighter occasionally 🙄
Finally managed it, hadn’t even started fishing but didn’t dare try unless it broke again, just wanted enough light to get back onto safe ground!

I recall when I first got it, it seemed a total game changer compared with carrying Tilley and Coleman lamps around.

Then decent LED technology appeared and relatively cheap too, wow, that WAS a game changer - as far as I’m concerned probably the biggest thing to transform sea fishing in my lifetime.

No stinking petrol or paraffin lamps, no heavy batteries, bliss!

But cold pies👎😉
Nah, never was particularly keen on pies and never worry about food at all when I’m fishing - I’m there to fish, not eat.

I know some like their snacks but it doesn’t interest me, worry about food when I get home and I don’t do 24 hour marathons on beaches where the tide never moves either…

Nah, never was particularly keen on pies and never worry about food at all when I’m fishing - I’m there to fish, not eat.

I know some like their snacks but it doesn’t interest me, worry about food when I get home and I don’t do 24 hour marathons on beaches where the tide never moves either…
If I do go fishing, I always go with the intention of catching something tasty that I can fillet & chuck in the pan nice & fresh when I get home. Sometimes take a drink with me, but not food.

My mate always forgets to bring food/snacks so have to give him some of mine, also I always tend to be the driver as he prefers my car to his (cheap skate) ;)

Last edited:
Just wish that an led headlamp was available with the same colour light as the tiga/samalight halogen ones.
Other than the battery/run time, I actually preferred my tiga to my fenix.

That's OK for short sessions but spend enough time doing anything and eventually you've got to have some snap! Not sure I could trust any man that doesn't like a good pie/pasty😄

That's OK for short sessions but spend enough time doing anything and eventually you've got to have some snap! Not sure I could trust any man that doesn't like a good pie/pasty😄
True but then I live by the coast so never plan to be out more than eight hours, usually six or less.
Even if I spent the day down chesil into evening, at best I’d probably just grab a sarnie from coop on the way - and have been known to eat it driving home, lol.

A GOOD pasty from Cornwall, yes. I’ve been ruined for anything else and the packet ones are naff.
Just never really been fussed about pies.

But I am quite good at switching the food sensor off during fishing and don’t usually start feeling hungry until the drive home.

I won’t eat if my hands are covered in bait.
Always take a bucket fishing and fill it with seawater. Handy for rinsing hands, cleaning Fish at the end of the session, or allowing small fish to recover a bit before being returned to the sea.

Bought Collapsible Bucket for £6 Fits inside the Seat box under the Seat box lid got small elastic straps screwed into box just holds it nicely in place put my towel under there too ..

Is it me or do these things just never last?
I don't know how many €10 headlamps I have gone through over the years. Then I bought a 20 pound sterling LED Lenser headlamp which worked fine but it ran on AA batteries and I only ever got a couple of hours out of a set of batteries.
After that everyone recommended the Fenix HR65 so I bit the bullet and spent €100 to get one thinking it would last me years. From the get go it gave me bother with not charging fully, the lights dimming despite being fully charged, the lights switching between different settings etc etc. I have had it a year and a half now and I can't get it to change settings anymore and it only holds its charge for a day or so now. It got every day use cycling back from work at night.

So today I decided I would go all out and bought an LED Lenser H19 Signature for just shy of €300. If this gives me bother within the 5 years warranty then I am going back to €10 throwaway torches.
What’s the verdict on the lenser?

It sounds like you’ve been a bit unlucky but the Fenix I would have taken back sooner and got a refund or replacement. 18 months probably out of warranty now?

Were the batteries running out on your previous cheap one just disposables? There’s a lot to be said for a quality set of rechargeables with a high MAH rating but they’ll cost you like £15-20.

What’s the verdict on the lenser?

I fixed the fenix. Took the battery out, cleaned the battery and the terminals inside the light and now it works like new again.
The lenser is good but heavy. The fenix is easier to use as well, although fully charged the lenser lasts a very long time.

A post on here mentioned a backup.

I am trying to keep my gear to as Little as possible .
no having too much of anything.

after reading the post about buying a new head torch and keeping the old one as a back. Has prompted me to think about buying another head torch as a backup as well.

makes sense if your in the total dark and a headlight stops working ..

so here we go again. Buying backups. …..AGAIN
Nine times out of ten its the battery that runs out, so all you need is to take spare fully charged ones with you, and keep them out of the cold, batteries don't like being cold.. ;)

Ian.

Nine times out of ten its the battery that runs out, so all you need is to take spare fully charged ones with you, and keep them out of the cold, batteries don't like being cold.. ;)

Ian.
Whilst you are correct, it's still worth having a spare available. Doesn't need to be as fancy or bright as your main, even a torch is better than nothing.
I was once on the cliffs on Anglesey fishing into the dark and the switch on my headtorch developed a fault. Spare batteries wouldn't be of any use in this situation.
If you're going somewhere dangerous, especially on your own, definitely have a spare. AND CHECK IT BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME.

Back