• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ian Golds Rod Rests

I got my golds 6ft tripod about 20 years ago it's been fine but I recently brought another 5ft one for floundering ect it's one of the new ones it's no where near as good as the original ian golds one

I got my golds 6ft tripod about 20 years ago it's been fine but I recently brought another 5ft one for floundering ect it's one of the new ones it's no where near as good as the original ian golds one
Does sound as if they may be skimping on quality now then?

There seems to be a train of thought that the best tripods are either Ian Golds or Shakespeare salt. I bought the Salt as it was on offer 2nd hand as new for £30. Also have the Shakespeare Agility rod quiver and it has a dedicated pocket & straps for the tripod bag to attach to.

Very pleased with the Shakey tripod quality. Folks says it's heavy but you aren't going to get stability & quality from something made out of thin low grade components. It has only gone over once, when the rig picked up a huge clump of weed which dragged everything over. Overall, very pleased with it. I like the fact that it comes with a quality dedicated bag too.
The Shakespeare ones are good and solid but the Golds have always had a good name. There is no doubt in my mind though that’s it’s made in the same factory as the cheapie ones, using identical components. The Golds sticker seems to cost about £20!

The Shakespeare ones are good and solid but the Golds have always had a good name. There is no doubt in my mind though that’s it’s made in the same factory as the cheapie ones, using identical components. The Golds sticker seems to cost about £20!
It does seem as if in the earlier days when Ian was around he ensured a higher quality standard of the things he put his name to?

I’ve never really had a play with the Shakespeare ones but my mate has an MTI, now discontinued, what I believe is a similar weight?

That thing was a bloody tank! It certainly seemed decent enough once set up but feck carrying that sort of weight on the marks I usually visit!
Plus there seemed to be a great deal of faff in setting it up and putting it away in the bag after, although that may have been him because he does faff a bit!

It does seem as if in the earlier days when Ian was around he ensured a higher quality standard of the things he put his name to?

I’ve never really had a play with the Shakespeare ones but my mate has an MTI, now discontinued, what I believe is a similar weight?

That thing was a bloody tank! It certainly seemed decent enough once set up but feck carrying that sort of weight on the marks I usually visit!
Plus there seemed to be a great deal of faff in setting it up and putting it away in the bag after, although that may have been him because he does faff a bit!
It's a shame Ian Golds passed away - he has done a lot for the Angling community.

Couldn't be arsed to get mine out and weigh it, but Veals say 2.7Kgs so not that heavy. the weight isn't an issue for me since I can't hike miles or access difficult marks, and I usually take a trolley of some sort anyway. It packs down in it's bag to 1.25 metres so sits across the top of my seat box on a trolley, or attached to my rod quiver over my shoulder.

Last edited:
Couldn't be arsed to get mine out and weigh it, but Veals say 2.7Kgs so not that heavy. the weight isn't an issue for me since I can't hike miles or access difficult marks, and I usually take a trolley of some sort anyway It packs down in it's bag to 1.25 metres so sits across the top of my seat box on a trolley.

Yes as I say, haven’t compared the two but his MTI was a beast.
I’d say my big Golds probably only weighs a kilo or so, but never weighed it. Might be wrong!

If you’re not walking far or accessing tricky rocks, it’s not really an issue.

Odds and Sods Tripods was Great really well designed and steady top bar is just straight it locates/locks in on another piece of alloy angle they cut so bar locates on raised bit so never moves/wobbles and cups are made from alloy tube slot cut on tops lined with neoprene bottoms tube with piece across bottom to perch butt on.

I havnt used it yet, not been fishing since I bought it. If I do have to weight it I won’t be very confident in the hook…..
A meat hook that holds a side of beef would suffice.

A meat hook that holds a side of beef would suffice.
Afraid the wire on this one isn’t much thicker than a paper clip! Just had a look and the cheapie one is far more substantial.
The cheapie is on the right, has a dob of mud on it!

Attachments

• 182E343C-4AC9-4D97-9D03-B8ED6424E5EE.jpeg
    182E343C-4AC9-4D97-9D03-B8ED6424E5EE.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 8C9FA84C-6602-49FD-AF92-2CE731574A49.jpeg
    8C9FA84C-6602-49FD-AF92-2CE731574A49.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 17
Spot the difference…..Golds and cheapie….

Attachments

• AB681CCC-2190-46E6-A49A-6FE9751314CA.jpeg
    AB681CCC-2190-46E6-A49A-6FE9751314CA.jpeg
    842.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 8B2D1379-39B8-4EC2-9B40-D35BE3A9FCCC.jpeg
    8B2D1379-39B8-4EC2-9B40-D35BE3A9FCCC.jpeg
    661.7 KB · Views: 25
I remember often reading last year ,and this year ,people saying that they couldn't get a tripod anywhere not just golds ones.

Got a feeling since the passing of Ian gold, someone unscrupulous may of quickly bought a load of cheapies up and branded them using the respectable name of the previous generation of the rests?

I remember often reading last year ,and this year ,people saying that they couldn't get a tripod anywhere not just golds ones.

Got a feeling since the passing of Ian gold, someone unscrupulous may of quickly bought a load of cheapies up and branded them using the respectable name of the previous generation of the rests?
Possibly mate but I bought mine from Veals so would assume it’s pukka. Certainly the Golds ones have been unavailable for some time. When I’m out fishing next time I will try and find someone with an old Golds one, out of interest.

I use a Shakespeare one myself,it's a bit heavy,but it doesn't go over very often ,so I don't mind the weight,a mate of mine only uses the Ian gold ones,he says mine is to heavy !!!!

Afraid the wire on this one isn’t much thicker than a paper clip! Just had a look and the cheapie one is far more substantial.
The cheapie is on the right, has a dob of mud on it!
one on left don't look like a golds one on right does though!

Possibly mate but I bought mine from Veals so would assume it’s pukka. Certainly the Golds ones have been unavailable for some time. When I’m out fishing next time I will try and find someone with an old Golds one, out of interest.
I'd ring Veals and Moan at them as think it's a spoofer!

Will try to sort pics out later of mine

All owned by Daiwa UK not Daiwa world wide though.

top end one at back is golds front one don't have drilling's like that.
Sorry mate, the front one sold to me as Golds, the back one with the black marker on is my old cheapie which has a 42cm mark I put on for bass!
You have got me worried now but surely Veals would know what they are selling. My original post really was just to say how disappointed I was at how poor quality something was after reading all the hype about how they were the one to have.

Back