• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West I’m a fiddler - but don’t work for the BBC…

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I’ve been gnawing at my liver for a few days as mackerel here locally have pretty much been queuing up at the vacuum pack machines up and down the coast.

I couldn’t go Saturday as went spider hunting (don’t ask), Sunday I had too much work to catch up on. Monday it was work plus darts night.
More work today but finished at 5, so grabbed a bit of basic gear and headed to a remote local mark, 10 minutes drive from home but then 30 minutes walk including a lot of feckin steep steps.

20 for bait stocks would do me. I grabbed a Shakespeare 3oz flattie rod, a few 3oz leads, my Lidl reel, a bottle of water and my cool bag with ice blocks in, that was about it.
And ordinary sets of dayglo feathers cut into two as I didn’t really want four mackerel on the flattie rod.

Arrived at the mark and there was one guy there spinning. I said I hear there’s a few mackerel about?
He shrugged and was ‘meh’
Just to upset him, I caught a mackerel on my first cast 😗😗😗

Can’t beat the view there either…

IMG_7178.jpeg

Anyway, the mackerel I caught wasn’t very big. I continued to pick up a few more but they were tiny.
It’s all bait, so all good.
By all accounts, at the weekend they were bubbling and pretty much throwing themselves in the bucket.
Not so today. Clearly a fair few out there but you had to work at it.

I picked up a joey here and a joey there. The spinning guy had a few but flipped them back.
Meanwhile I was putting all mine in my cool bag after snapping their necks and was beginning to feel like a Beeb presenter outside a primary school 😰😰😰

Quite a few slipped the hook or dropped off.

I had hoped to winkle out a few bigger ones but the stream of tiny fish fingers continued.
I started to flip a few of the more embarrassing ones back.
Tbh I wasn’t planning to keep dozens of joeys anyway.

Matey packed up and left, so I moved to his spot which was a better casting platform and avoided the kelp, reefs and lobster pot.
I had a few more, taking me to 13. Decided that was unlucky so carried on until I had 14 😬

It wasn’t hectic sport. I’d have a couple of blank casts, pick one up. Next cast I’d get one on then it would drop off.

It went past 8pm and really I had to pack up as was bringing a takeaway in, plus it was a bit chilly in the wind and only had t shirt and shorts on.

Finally I called time at 8.20 and headed up the 100 or so steps with my morally dubious gains.

IMG_7181.jpeg

Please don’t report me to The Sun 😬😬😬

Great report.
I could do a 30 min drive, but never (now in my condition) a 30 min walk to catch them.
I do better in the summer than the winter!

Tbh, I don’t actually mind a bit of exercise to go fishing. Not at the time I’m doing it but need to do more anyway really.

Tbh, I don’t actually mind a bit of exercise to go fishing. Not at the time I’m doing it but need to do more anyway really.
Yes, i need to exercise but if wanting to go fishing would just rather get to mark ASAP, got to remember have to get back after.
Can do exercise somewhere else.

Yes, i need to exercise but if wanting to go fishing would just rather get to mark ASAP, got to remember have to get back after.
Can do exercise somewhere else.
Getting back from that mark IS the exercise 🥵

Anyway, on my coast there’s not really much in the way of easy marks lol

I could do with some fresh macks for the freezer but it's a helluva drive anywhere to find them in this neck of the woods.
Looks like you got a good spot there for a mack or two

I’ve been gnawing at my liver for a few days as mackerel here locally have pretty much been queuing up at the vacuum pack machines up and down the coast.

I couldn’t go Saturday as went spider hunting (don’t ask), Sunday I had too much work to catch up on. Monday it was work plus darts night.
More work today but finished at 5, so grabbed a bit of basic gear and headed to a remote local mark, 10 minutes drive from home but then 30 minutes walk including a lot of feckin steep steps.

20 for bait stocks would do me. I grabbed a Shakespeare 3oz flattie rod, a few 3oz leads, my Lidl reel, a bottle of water and my cool bag with ice blocks in, that was about it.
And ordinary sets of dayglo feathers cut into two as I didn’t really want four mackerel on the flattie rod.

Arrived at the mark and there was one guy there spinning. I said I hear there’s a few mackerel about?
He shrugged and was ‘meh’
Just to upset him, I caught a mackerel on my first cast 😗😗😗

Can’t beat the view there either…

View attachment 47959

Anyway, the mackerel I caught wasn’t very big. I continued to pick up a few more but they were tiny.
It’s all bait, so all good.
By all accounts, at the weekend they were bubbling and pretty much throwing themselves in the bucket.
Not so today. Clearly a fair few out there but you had to work at it.

I picked up a joey here and a joey there. The spinning guy had a few but flipped them back.
Meanwhile I was putting all mine in my cool bag after snapping their necks and was beginning to feel like a Beeb presenter outside a primary school 😰😰😰

Quite a few slipped the hook or dropped off.

I had hoped to winkle out a few bigger ones but the stream of tiny fish fingers continued.
I started to flip a few of the more embarrassing ones back.
Tbh I wasn’t planning to keep dozens of joeys anyway.

Matey packed up and left, so I moved to his spot which was a better casting platform and avoided the kelp, reefs and lobster pot.
I had a few more, taking me to 13. Decided that was unlucky so carried on until I had 14 😬

It wasn’t hectic sport. I’d have a couple of blank casts, pick one up. Next cast I’d get one on then it would drop off.

It went past 8pm and really I had to pack up as was bringing a takeaway in, plus it was a bit chilly in the wind and only had t shirt and shorts on.

Finally I called time at 8.20 and headed up the 100 or so steps with my morally dubious gains.

View attachment 47960

Please don’t report me to The Sun 😬😬😬
A great session with plenty of breakfasts to come
I could do with some fresh macks for the freezer but it's a helluva drive anywhere to find them in this neck of the woods.
ypu should try MORRISONS supermarket if, like me it’s too far to any coast

A great session with plenty of breakfasts to come

ypu should try MORRISONS supermarket if, like me it’s too far to any coast
Yes but I've found that unless they are proper fresh ones they're just not as good. I took a frozen one to Devon I had caught and then froze quickly and it was the I only mackerel bait I had a pull on my rod. The so called vacuum packed frozen ones or supermarket ones just seem to lack something.

Yes but I've found that unless they are proper fresh ones they're just not as good. I took a frozen one to Devon I had caught and then froze quickly and it was the I only mackerel bait I had a pull on my rod. The so called vacuum packed frozen ones or supermarket ones just seem to lack something.
Yes a similar experience.
I wanted some “fish bits’
The off cuts from the fish monger.
Unfortunately he wasn’t in the day that I went, so I took a chilled fish and froze it. The following morning I drove to Mudeford, cutting up a chilled, then frozen and thawed joey wasn’t like a fresh one.
Fishing was crazy anyway, bloody weed

Well done on the Mackerel Tony - a few of them look sizeable enough for my frying pan! 😋😋

Wish I was well enough to still access marks like that, and the Mackerel from the usual accessible spots down here are reported to be as scarce as Hen's teeth. 🎣🎣👍👍

The last Vac packed ones I bought from a tackle shop were frozen whole, not gutted or cleaned, and once they thawed and the packet was open, they stank everything out within 20 metres, including the clothes I was wearing.
Took weeks of washing to get rid of the smell. Me grumbling about it used to make John Mitchell chuckle, so I donated the unused ones to him! 😁😁

The last Vac packed ones I bought from a tackle shop were frozen whole, not gutted or cleaned, and once they thawed and the packet was open, they stank everything out within 20 metres, including the clothes I was wearing.
Took weeks of washing to get rid of the smell. Me grumbling about it used to make John Mitchell chuckle, so I donated the unused ones to him! 😁😁
Yes that was my experience.. blast frozen my arse..they were limp soft stinky rubbish when defrosted. Fit only for crabs.

Great report Mr Fish, nice pics too mate. Good bit of fiddling... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

I got 4 frozen mac fillets from Iceland.
Just take out of freezer prior to using.
Good solid meat and skin on them to cut for strips of bait, even better (more solid) than mac i have caught and put in freezer to use.

Not caught anything with them yet though!!!!:LOL::LOL:

I got 4 frozen mac fillets from Iceland.
Just take out of freezer prior to using.
Good solid meat and skin on them to cut for strips of bait, even better (more solid) than mac i have caught and put in freezer to use.

Not caught anything with them yet though!!!!:LOL::LOL:
Still waiting for them to thaw out ;)

Take the toob down to Canary Wharf and pop into Billingsgate, load'sa mack there ! :rolleyes:

Back