• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

I'm so confused....

Fitzcardiff

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So I've got a £400 voucher for Glasgow Angling Centre, been fly-fishing for years so I have everything I want, and I'm looking to get into fishing around the Cardiff and Aberystwyth areas. I'm looking at the site and there are rods from £30 and reels for the same amount of money.

So could someone possibly give me a suggestion for a rod and reel (fixed spool cos I'm old and clumsy), I'd also like to spin for bass and pollock so I'm hoping to include that into the budget as well.

Cheers.

Fitz.

A kids crab line should do you. :cool:

So I've got a £400 voucher for Glasgow Angling Centre, been fly-fishing for years so I have everything I want, and I'm looking to get into fishing around the Cardiff and Aberystwyth areas. I'm looking at the site and there are rods from £30 and reels for the same amount of money.

So could someone possibly give me a suggestion for a rod and reel (fixed spool cos I'm old and clumsy), I'd also like to spin for bass and pollock so I'm hoping to include that into the budget as well.

Cheers.

Fitz.
Welcome to the forum.

Are you looking at fishing with bait, or just lures?

Cheers.

Fitz.
It would be nice if you introduced yourself first before requesting info etc. Welcome anyway (y)

See what you've let yourself in for Fitz?🤣

Not familiar with your mentioned areas but hopefully someone will be and can advise on suitable beachcasting set ups....Good quality bait fished on the right marks at the right time is the main key. Find a local digger/shop👍

I'm more into lure fishing these days and GAC have some bargains. Take a look at the Savage Gear and Penn Conflict Inshore rods they have on clearance. I'd go for something 9ft or 9ft6in personally as extra length can be handy on shore marks. Maybe a cheap but cheerful reel like the Daiwa Ninja LT 4000 and spool it with some 20 to 30lb Daiwa JBraid Grand? No doubt you'll get plenty of alternative suggestions. Might be worth calling GAC for advice 🤔

I'm pretty sure you'll get two good outfits and a basic selection of end tackle for your £400. Be warned you can easily spend that on lures every single month for a lifetime, but of course you don't need to! Also your stillwater (6wt and up) fly tackle can be put to use on bass, mullet and pollack in the right circumstances.

Main thing I'd advise is to put the miles in recce'ing your coast on various stages of tide and weather states, reading the water. Stay safe and enjoy👍

Feeling lost in a maze of thoughts, emotions swirling like a tempest within. Uncertainty clouds every decision, each step forward fraught with hesitation. The world spins, a dizzying whirlwind of conflicting possibilities. Clarity seems elusive, slipping through fingers grasping at wisps of understanding. In the midst of this chaos, finding solid ground feels like a distant dream. Confusion reigns supreme, a relentless companion in the journey of the mind.
Nurse…🙄

Feeling lost in a maze of thoughts, emotions swirling like a tempest within. Uncertainty clouds every decision, each step forward fraught with hesitation. The world spins, a dizzying whirlwind of conflicting possibilities. Clarity seems elusive, slipping through fingers grasping at wisps of understanding. In the midst of this chaos, finding solid ground feels like a distant dream. Confusion reigns supreme, a relentless companion in the journey of the mind.
WTF are you on about?

Untitled.jpg

For south wales, probably need a strong rod to cope with the strong tides, and big leads...7 or 8oz often needed.

Maybe look for a 2nd hand Century with a casting rating to suit ....i tend to use a kompressor SS when i fish that side ,👍

For lure fishing the Savage Gear SGS6 for £99 is a bargain, good all round rod.

In terms of beach fishing, fishing Borth and Tan y Bwlch is very different to the Bristol Channel, so difficult to recommend a rod that would suit both.

Asks the question, then not seen again. :rolleyes:

Ian.

Back