• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Is it a myth?

Kenny84

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So it’s been pretty windy lately with a couple of storms, yesterday was a lot calmer so I took a walk down the beach with the dogs and the shingle was littered with razor clam shells, star fish & limpets…. Surely the fish will be in feeding on all this lovely buffet food that’s been smashed up by the surf?

High tide was at 1500ish so notideal light wise for eastney beach which isn’t that deep and historically fishes better in darkness but surely it’s worth getting down there to see what’s about?

So I grabbed a tub full of limpets, defrosted a pack of unwashed baby squid and grabbed a few wraps of black lug from my local bait shop and head back down the beach, expecting a few dog fish at least…….I put out a couple of 3 hook flapper rigs to see what was about, 1 close in & 1 further out.

3 hours went by and was not at high tide I tried changing one of the rigs to an up and over with squid on to see what was mooching about on the sea bed but still nothing!

I fished the tide down for 2 hours and moved along the beach a few hundred metres but still no even a sniff of a bite!

I finished the last of my tea, packed up and stowed my gear in the van, I noticed there were a few anglers dotted along the beach so I walked along and chatted to 5 of them who had the same experience as me.

I’ve not been fishing that long and hear all these stories of Wind from the east, fish bite the least; Wind from the west, the fish bite the best “when there’s been a blow get a rod out and go” so is it a myth that the fishing is good after a storm? Is it just certain types of mark or conditions?

I’d love to hear your experiences of fishing after a storm!

Attachments

• 04842DE3-4E9A-4C9D-8FDB-6BDA05247EE4.jpeg
    04842DE3-4E9A-4C9D-8FDB-6BDA05247EE4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 01817B97-E2BE-41F4-9014-03DA111D59E2.jpeg
    01817B97-E2BE-41F4-9014-03DA111D59E2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
In my experience, my local mark fishes much better after a storm, especially over low tide for bass. But every mark is different, the exact same beach fished over high tide after a storm fishes pants! I agree with shirl, you want to fish the beach over the next few days and at different states of the tides to get the best idea

Also worth trying baits in short because if the food is on the shoreline, the fish - especially bass - won’t be 100 yards out.

Plus as you said, if it’s a shallow beach then imo nighttime is a far better time to fish.
Even in the BC with its dirty water, I still seem to do better at night mostly.

Pity you didn't catch it's usually good,but a east wind kills the fishing in the solent ,if that's where you were & it's better at night mate,??

Ive tried for 60 years to find all the answers and i,m still looking

agree ( not for 60 yrs tho)?

had my biggest bass, low water, flat calm, not a ripple in sight
same for my biggest shore cod, pi55ing down with rain, howling s/w gale, and the sea like a mill pond ( offshore wind)

tried many times during, just after a blow, but never really pulled any trees up
personally, straight after a blow, especially on shallower beaches, i feel the fish need a tide for it to settle a bit and gorge themselves on the wash up.
i normally give it a good 12-18 hrs after the blow if i can sort timings out, and my go to is worm n razor / mussel in those conditions

I agree with X525 ,I wait about 12-18 hours after a good blow,to give time for the sea to settle back down, then I use mussel , razor clams or even limpets,with a worm bait as a backup,one rod cast short & the other rod cast as far as I can get it.hope this helps someone.?

Back