• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Isle of Wight. Yarmouth Pier Thursday eve.

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I decided I need an hour or two with a rod last evening so headed off to Yarmouth Pier about 2.5 hours into the flood.
I have a favourite spot for pile dangling and luckily no-one was in residence.
A few other anglers on the Pier and lots of visitors including a couple of couples with a couple of kids each who were being encouraged to run around the hut on the end screaming that high pitched scream that only 5 year old girls can. Deep joy.

These days I use my boat rods on the Pier, I find 14' of beach caster a bit unwieldy.

I'd made up a couple almost identical rigs for bream off the beach a few days ago, one with a single size 4, the other with 2 hooks, also 4's on a wishbone hooklength.

Both rigs were dropped in behind one of the Pier legs within a foot of each other then a few winds up to keep the bait away from the crabs.

Immediate little knocks and plucks on the two hook rig, little bream and wrasse, nothing on the single hook at all. I left them for the usual 15 minutes the pulled them up to rebait.
The two hook rig had been stripped the single hook bait remained intact, strange.

Anyway after half an hour or so I decided to fish a bait about 8' below the surface so put both baits down again very close to each other and not moving much in a relatively slow tide.

Bang, big bend in the two hook rig rod and an immediate audience from a group of French visitors. Not a good time to f**k up.
The water was about 8 feet down and after a minute a reasonable bass was visible. I could see it had taken both hooks and was pretty well caught so decided to handline it up.
No problem with that and over the rail it came. 20", so a keeper.
Normally I put bass back because they aren't worth eating but my mother insists they are delicious, ( because they're free and she's obsessed with saving money), so I suggested to the audience that they might not want to watch the next bit and dispatched it with a knife through the brain, very quick and very little flapping around in the catch bag afterwards.

Rebaited and dropped it down to the same depth.
Two minutes later another bang and another fish on. I could see this one was smaller and only just hooked right in the front of its bottom lip.
As I've said before I think they are a tasteless almost inedible fish, their only saving grace is that they pull back a bit on a light rod and they are a bit of fun on my boat rods.
This one was certainly going back and was even decent enough to spit the hook as I was readying to handline it up, result, home time. The single hook was untouched for the whole time I fished, strange. Two hooks; more bait, more scent more visibility perhaps?

The joy of living on the Isle of Wight means fresh fish can mean its been out of the water less than an hour. This one was descaled, gutted, filleted and in a pan in some hot butter in record time.
As expected it disappointed in record time as well, bland and tasteless. No wonder bass were pot bait only until some Jodrell of a chef decided to put sea infront of bass and create a monster of a lie.

This evening I will probably have an hour alongside Totland Pier and test my patience by targeting bream amongst the spiders.

maybe curried it to put some flavour back in, alternative season it before cooking.

Back