• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

It made me think !

Radio Rental

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Having not been out of the bung for ten days now as the infection rate on the Rock has been through the roof i suddenly got the urge,so out with the frozen squid and sandeel wraps to defrost,charged up my headlight,checked over all the gear,all good,tonight my local beach just 10 mins walk,5 by motor and park it in the road outside some houses.My little spot is hidden behind a landslip so nobody can see me...totally hidden from view,all good so far.I`ve also wear dog tags with my full name and dob and my wifes name and phone number on them just in case i fall in the sea (yeah it has happened before:().
Now i`m not going as whilst eating tea i read of a poor lady who had a fall yesterday on Tennyson Down exercising her dog and breaking her leg, she waited five hours for an ambulance and that`s the reason i`m not going,why?,because if i had slipped and broken my leg it would have taken an ambulance a hell of a time to find me and get to me which then diverts the said ambulance away from someone else who may be on deaths doorstep through my own selfish action to try and catch fish in as we all know one of the barren times in the fishing calender.So the baits gone back in the freezer and the gear returned to it`s rightful place.Now the reason for this thread is to gauge what others think...i`m not here to and i won`t judge people for their comments as each person is in a different position but i feel i have done the right thing...at least i hope so,thanks for reading...Alan.

Last edited:
Or you could crash your car on a 20 minute drive to the supermarket.

I get where you’re coming from but just depends on using a bit of common sense and judging whether what you’re doing is sensible and within your ability.

If you’re not so good on rocks, probably not the best idea, but if you’re going to visit an easy flat beach, why not.

I’m still reading about people ‘obeying all the rules’ but then they go on extended shopping trips with supermarket, Wickes, garden centre and god knows else, acting as if that’s perfectly acceptable.
Is all that really ‘essential’? Probably most if not all could be bought online if needs be.

Trouble is if just stay inside it's Equally bad it's a dog eat dog situation for me i need to get out more need to expand lungs and keep things ticking over or if am exposed will die.
Medicals have been saying about the increase of Ambulance and A&E increase of Injuries inc Fatal from the increase if DIY!
Many reasons some Idiots can't be trusted to put plug in bath without an iphone app! While esp in London it's hard to get a trade to do or it's now become way to costly due to idiot councils/tfl/Nightmare for London Khans Crap n tat in roads plus upped parking fees!(£5+ an hour for diesel)so attempt themselves plus also you can buy the equipment either so it's a make do and mend approach.

Also Fire Brigade have had a Big increase of call outs to house fires due to many at home using many items and sockets/wiring can't cope with it along with Cooker fires.

So you have to draw a Balance plus be mindful so lessen your risks plus by the shore your more likely to get Coastguard/RNLI/ASRS than Ambulance Which the Coastguards are what you'd ask for on 999 they route to who ever they need once you state issue.

Well hopefully im going out tomorrow down the Thames 15mile'ish? for the afternoon got mega packet of condoms so safe fishing/Breathing/Driving and hopefully shopping after as need to go but putting off till tomorrow so only have to venture out once!
But down the river be away from as many as possible which is the way ive dealt with things so far as only go shopping last thing/late so have to deal with a little Bell ends as possible!

Just be mindful and safe
Plus you need to get outside to keep immune system healthy as lack of light crashes Vit D a major helper on covid fight back.

Interesting replies,my position is that i`m 67 shortly and not in the best health also we`ve a very small hospital with a very large percentage of elderly people over here. i`ve been fishing for close to sixty years and to lose a session here and there doesn`t seem to be so bad at this time of year,hopefully things will improve come the Spring and we`ll reap the rewards with some quality fishing...Alan.

understand your position on it and respect it ...and age 67 especially ..

as you say this time of year isn't great anyway ! you asked for opinions and mine short and sweet is that I work with people who have travelled all over to get there ,often having to be close together within 2m to get it done .
so for me iv been fishing locally on my own or once with a friend last week keeping 2m apart and fishing 20 yards apart ,as I won't see anyone and won't have to stop on the way as walking ....
i dont consider it me doing more damage to virus spreading as sittin on sofa as never had an accident fishing in 25 years although I know it's possible I have much more chance at work of accident so I don't feel guilty about going for a fish personally

Interesting replies,my position is that i`m 67 shortly and not in the best health also we`ve a very small hospital with a very large percentage of elderly people over here. i`ve been fishing for close to sixty years and to lose a session here and there doesn`t seem to be so bad at this time of year,hopefully things will improve come the Spring and we`ll reap the rewards with some quality fishing...Alan.
If you’re 67 with health issues it’s probably better to be cautious.
Only you know what your own abilities are and if you feel there’s a potential for accidents where you fish then it’s best to err on the side of caution.

And it sounds stupid I know, but I’ve always felt the best way to avoid accidents is not to have them, lol.
Which goes back to matching marks to your own ability. I appreciate the definition of accidents is unexpected but I don’t know about anyone else, I’m quite anal about being aware when I’m out on the rocks, it’s become second nature now.
When I’m moving or climbing I always try and make damn sure I’ve got a good hand hold or foot hold before shifting my weight or moving. I don’t really even think about it these days, it just comes naturally. It sounds simple but I’ve seen more than one person fall over because they were keen to get to the mark or chatting and not paying attention to what they were doing.

But then I’m not 67 and even in my 40s, there’s marks I won’t attempt now because I feel they’re too risky. I could still do them, I’m sure, but I don’t want to take stupid risks either.
Btw my ‘risky’ threshold is probably higher than most as nearly all our local marks are rock marks that need a bit of climbing and walking, but I’ve been fishing the area most of my life, so it just seems normal to me.
Studded boots have been a bit of a revelation as well!

well you do what you think is correct for you/ family . i am 67 and if allowed out i would be , but in wales , so indoors or walk ,15 miles to any where that worth fishing .so another 4-8 weeks maybe

Or you could crash your car on a 20 minute drive to the supermarket.

I get where you’re coming from but just depends on using a bit of common sense and judging whether what you’re doing is sensible and within your ability.

If you’re not so good on rocks, probably not the best idea, but if you’re going to visit an easy flat beach, why not.

I’m still reading about people ‘obeying all the rules’ but then they go on extended shopping trips with supermarket, Wickes, garden centre and god knows else, acting as if that’s perfectly acceptable.
Is all that really ‘essential’? Probably most if not all could be bought online if needs be.
we are all in a difficult situation and those that make the rules (even if we all do not agree) have to list some things, as i fully agree (and i have been tested positive) what you are saying.
The gov must allow us out to shop (we all have to eat) less there would be chaos even if we are still all mixing.
Yes going fishing is one of the simplest form of being isolated.

I know this sounds silly but would you prefer the rules for all to be not to go to the shop but you must go fishing to feed yourself.

we are all in a difficult situation and those that make the rules (even if we all do not agree) have to list some things, as i fully agree (and i have been tested positive) what you are saying.
The gov must allow us out to shop (we all have to eat) less there would be chaos even if we are still all mixing.

I know this sounds silly but would you prefer the rules for all to be not to go to the shop but you must go fishing to feed yourself.
Yep, although I’d probably be eating dogfish and conger for three months! ?

Thing is, people don’t apply a lot of common sense to the shopping either. You see whole families going in and coming out with a little bag of bits and pieces.
People not sanitising, picking up and touching everything and as I say, going to multiple shops when it’s not really necessary.

Personally if I have to go, I go at odd hours when it’s quiet.
Not really because of virus concerns, I just hate being in busy supermarkets with people at any time. I notice a lot of people seem to leave their brains and awareness in the car while they dawdle around the store ?

Yep, although I’d probably be eating dogfish and conger for three months! ?

Thing is, people don’t apply a lot of common sense to the shopping either. You see whole families going in and coming out with a little bag of bits and pieces.
People not sanitising, picking up and touching everything and as I say, going to multiple shops when it’s not really necessary.

Personally if I have to go, I go at odd hours when it’s quiet.
Not really because of virus concerns, I just hate being in busy supermarkets with people at any time. I notice a lot of people seem to leave their brains and awareness in the car while they dawdle around the store ?
Some people go shopping as part of there daily routine,in town here it's job centre,hang around for a bit then "let's go to bnm innit"

Alan, I can understand what you are saying but there may be a point where a short session may be good for you and your mental health, but you also of course have to balance that against your physical health.
I have some fairly stressful stuff going on just now and at some point a therapy (fishing) session may be required. For me that probably won't be sea fishing as it is not so close, a grayling session on the river would be my closest.
I am currently still reluctant to do either and get annoyed as others do regarding the glaiket folks you meet in the supermarket, where I have to go.

Having not been out of the bung for ten days now as the infection rate on the Rock has been through the roof i suddenly got the urge,so out with the frozen squid and sandeel wraps to defrost,charged up my headlight,checked over all the gear,all good,tonight my local beach just 10 mins walk,5 by motor and park it in the road outside some houses.My little spot is hidden behind a landslip so nobody can see me...totally hidden from view,all good so far.I`ve also wear dog tags with my full name and dob and my wifes name and phone number on them just in case i fall in the sea (yeah it has happened before:().
Now i`m not going as whilst eating tea i read of a poor lady who had a fall yesterday on Tennyson Down exercising her dog and breaking her leg, she waited five hours for an ambulance and that`s the reason i`m not going,why?,because if i had slipped and broken my leg it would have taken an ambulance a hell of a time to find me and get to me which then diverts the said ambulance away from someone else who may be on deaths doorstep through my own selfish action to try and catch fish in as we all know one of the barren times in the fishing calender.So the baits gone back in the freezer and the gear returned to it`s rightful place.Now the reason for this thread is to gauge what others think...i`m not here to and i won`t judge people for their comments as each person is in a different position but i feel i have done the right thing...at least i hope so,thanks for reading...Alan.
I agree with your reasoning and sentiments 100% Alan.
If everyone in the country followed your ethos we wouldn’t have reached 100000 deaths.
The fact is that the rule benders and loopholers are responsible for the dire situation that we find ourselves in. They now want to blame the government for allowing them to circulate over Christmas.
JFK’s “ask not” speech is more relevant now than ever.

If everyone in the country followed your ethos we wouldn’t have reached 100000 deaths.
The fact is that the rule benders and loopholers are responsible for the dire situation that we find ourselves in. They now want to blame the government for allowing them to circulate over Christmas.
Bang on!!! If the government said No Xmas they same people moaning now would of kicked up a stink.

In my opinion that’s not really correct. Yes the idiots having parties and gathering when they shouldn’t won’t help but imo the biggest contributors to the recent spread were the weather (people staying indoors), schools going back (massive spreader) and people working alongside each other.

Normal life in other words. The people driving a few miles to go fishing or to walk in the country are not going to be huge vectors for infection.
Yes the idiots driving 200 miles to take their dog to the beach should very rightly be pulled up and fined but even then, when you really think about it, how much spreading are they actually doing?

I agree mistakes by the government such as the Christmas mingling really didn’t help, and borders should have been closed and quarantine implemented a year ago, although I think by the time anyone realised, it was already too late.

What I’m getting at is it’s all very well pointing fingers at the rule breakers, but this virus can and has spread very nicely without their help through normal daily contact.

So in my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with sensible local fishing trips or indeed any other activity as long as it’s not meeting up with multiple people etc.

Last edited:

my wife would be well pi== off with the amount i could bring back to eat:oops:

In my opinion that’s not really correct. Yes the idiots having parties and gathering when they shouldn’t won’t help but imo the biggest contributors to the recent spread were the weather (people staying indoors), schools going back (massive spreader) and people working alongside each other.

Normal life in other words. The people driving a few miles to go fishing or to walk in the country are not going to be huge vectors for infection.
Yes the idiots driving 200 miles to take their dog to the beach should very rightly be pulled up and fined but even then, when you really think about it, how much spreading are they actually doing?

I agree mistakes by the government such as the Christmas mingling really didn’t help, and borders should have been closed and quarantine implemented a year ago, although I think by the time anyone realised, it was already too late.

What I’m getting at is it’s all very well pointing fingers at the rule breakers, but this virus can and has spread very nicely without their help through normal daily contact.

So in my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with sensible local fishing trips or indeed any other activity as long as it’s not meeting up with multiple people etc.
Lol just seen in Wales they think sneaking into a tanning studio is essential!!!

Fish with a friend to negate the possibility of being injured and alone.
Park at the Boathouse Cafe, walk up to Norton Wall, fish for 6 hours 50 yards apart. Dodge the dog walkers by giving them room to walk behind you. Or any other mark, separate cars is the thing
Use What Three Words app to tell SWMBO exactly where you'll be (give or take a few yards) and what time to expect you back.
Wave your whiting at your fishing buddy.
I can't see a problem doing it this way.

Back