• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

jackets

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi gents
Any thoughts on Imax jackets my mate in the market for a good warm WATERPROOF! jacket not a lot of funds available

My experience with the black and red imax thermal stuff was very very poor, it soaked water up from day one and ripped far to easily for my liking. Was warm if it wasn't raining though and had nice fleece lined pockets too.

I now use the Vass 175 b&b and smock for summer showers and the Vass 175 winter/thermal b&b plus smock for winter. It's nice and light and very waterproof. The front pocket in nice being so big and waterproof but has its drawbacks as in very heavy rain, if the flap isn't down properly, it can fill with water, found my phone swimming it it one day!

Good luck whatever he chooses.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Craig, my mate might have to spend a bit more to get what he wants

I’ve got a Mullion two piece floatation suit that’s very warm and seems waterproof enough, but too warm for anything outside winter.

The rest of the year I wear a German army surplus gortex lighter waterproof jacket and layer up underneath it as required.
They’re about £40-50 secondhand but i had no issues with mine.

much appreciate the suggestions, but is there anybody using an imax

Not anymore.
@Scarynige, @Codsanonymous and myself all tried Imax. The best we achieved was one Cod season (Oct to Feb fishing 2 to 3 times a week) before the Robinson Crusoe look was achieved.
Honestly, after a few sessions seams were giving way, they leak like a t bag, really not worth a penny.

Not anymore.
@Scarynige, @Codsanonymous and myself all tried Imax. The best we achieved was one Cod season (Oct to Feb fishing 2 to 3 times a week) before the Robinson Crusoe look was achieved.
Honestly, after a few sessions seams were giving way, they leak like a t bag, really not worth a penny.
Better not take mine out in the rain then ?

Yes. I have the Atlantic race smok.
Not got wet in it yet. Had it nearly 2 years now.
Stitching has held up well,
Slid down plenty of rocks in it.
far superior to the Vass crap It replaced.
Was out other day in some bad weather.
Kept me dry in horizental rain, being driven by strong winds.
Cant comment on their cheaper stuff.

Last edited:
Not anymore.
Ouch thanks for that, there seems to be conflicting thoughts on them

I use a US army gortex jacket and have down jacket underneath , warm , waterproof and very light for moving in . Paid £67 for mine , money well spent.
Yep tbh instead of buying the expensive and not particularly good fishing brands, I think people are better off getting a military surplus gortex and layering up underneath as needed.
When I was looking, there were no US or French ones (supposedly the best) available anywhere or at a sensible price, so got a German one in the end.
It’s not especially warm, it’s a lined gortex waterproof, but plenty of room to put whatever you want underneath it.
Today for me that was just a t shirt.

Last edited:
I got the blue and white imax smock, had it for years now, kept me dry and warm, bit too warm at times in spring and autumn, only thing I can moan about is the front pockets, which is a tube, is not removable for cleaning, so does stink up a bit, a can of fabreeze helps a bit.

Back