• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast January pest time

fishybuisness

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Yesterday was to cold to spray muck on walls so i thought id fish the big beach over low. The session started at 5pm and i thought šŸ’© or bust. Conditions were perfect with a nice lump in the sea and 0 wind. Its been a while since being on the big beach, way before Christmas in fact. I had quite a bit of bait to try and use up so baiting up with 2 big peelers on one rod half way out and worm and squid baits presented well and was whacked out out. Well it really was cold and whatever wind there was seamed to cut right though me. Theres not been many times ive been on the beach and started to think to myself ā€œis this worth itā€ but i persevered. Its now 8pm and ive caught a succession of ting and pout and by this time the dogs and straps had moved in and im biting my lip.
One after the other nice baits go out to be wrecked by pest fish the instant they are sent out. It ls my belief that i have better results when baits sit intact and presented well for longer giving the correct fish time to turn up for the meal.

I felt like i was flogging a dead horse and at times when i had pulled a pest in i left it at my feet whilst releasing a big sigh šŸ˜” thinking to myself i need a bigger break from the shingle beach.

It was my first time fishing chesil this year without seeing codling slip up the shingle. I guess i should of stayed till high water. But then again thoughts of picking a curry up on the way home and catching up with my pingu series sounded better so i packed up and that was that.

The curry i get is a gurka dish called ā€œchedinattu koziā€ if you like curryā€™s then this is one to try and find!

That was it and pingu was on song whaaa whaaap

Its worth at least waiting for the better tides to push in before wasting bait on 8 inch pests. Hope this helps and gives an idea what its like atm

Gadget out

Last edited:
Nice write up . Heading that way myself friday after reading your report im wondering if i should just go for a curry instead . Ive already had my pest fish quota for this year .

Nice report F B! At least you didn't blank - better luck for next time. šŸŽ£šŸŽ£šŸ‘šŸ‘

Hey Gadget whereabouts did you fish and did you have fresh blacks.
Hey Pete. I was probably 30mins past the teeth and it was cold. Yes i had fresh blacks and blow and big peelerā€™s. It was nice to get out and swing a 5oz lead, its been some time since putting a yellow on.

Rigs that i use mostly are the up and overs simplified. 5.0 -7.0 hooks. I have found nice compact baits no longer than the hook shank work best for me.

This session was purely to get out of the house whilst the sun was out and it had no bearing on the tide times. I basically fished the ebb down and then left at low. I missed the best time but it just seamed better to head home at a reasonable time instead of burning the candle as it were.

Jan feb is always a slow couple of months for me on the beach and i would be surprised to see any specimens being caught this weekend. But it also opens up a different part of the hobby for me and targeting the turbot on the deep banks. Ill be doing a bit of mud fishing this weekend with a friend up the channel as the brackish water would have cleared by now. After that i just hope for some calmish weather and settled seas to drop some mackerel skin down07242C02-0246-4315-B505-6D5942C7C6C3.jpeg

Good stuff , is annoying when your quality baits and presentation is ruined in minutes , even seconds by the 'pest' non target species. I agree I like being able to leave a big bait out there 20 minutes when needed etc especially for rays. Whiting en masse round here sometimes giving the baits no chance , not to mention doggies and crabs haha

Back