• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast January round up, fishing local, bass, gilt, flounder and more!

I didn't know bream can be caught this time of year. Great report and catches (y)

As my species hunting sensai says. If you don't fish for them you don't know! Thanks its going well again as its close to home.

Brilliant round up of January, you're have some lovely fish that month, plus a couple of nice surprises and how many Bass!!.
Very well done, hope February is just as productive for you.

Thanks mate. Two of my best ever bass sessions. Not targetting them anymore unless its for a PB! Yeah some good surprises as well. Picked up a new species yesterday at Calshot, a pouting! As we know they all count!

Wow fish other than Tings and 5 Bearded Rockling do exist in January.

Great read Goathead, gives hope of better days to come for all of us. ?

Still mackerel around fairly local to me as well. Going to try for one for my species hunt. Thanks. Better days will come soon. The post was supposed to be inspirational for those that can get out and aren't ,and for those who can't, to hopefully give them some sea air to breathe through the report!

Still mackerel around fairly local to me as well. Going to try for one for my species hunt. Thanks. Better days will come soon. The post was supposed to be inspirational for those that can get out and aren't ,and for those who can't, to hopefully give them some sea air to breathe through the report!

Well I'm pleased to report that it worked like a dream boi, thank you. ??

Enjoyable post,interesting to see a bream caught this time of year,the next couple of days the water temp is going to start dropping quicker so things will change again and things will get tougher,well done on getting out though but too bloody cold for my arthritus:)...Alan

So we all have to fish "local". I did not realise how much it meant to me to be able to go and fish where I want, and when there was no fishing, well that was not a good feeling at all. I consider myself lucky to live in The New Forest area and live on the Southampton Estuary. I sympathise with those of you whose "local" waters are miles from home. Stay strong boys and girls. You must be missing your therapy badly.

I started on New Years day with a flounder trip to Shore Road Hythe as reported. First in was a sand goby on a meat hook as @bananas put it! Only my second ever, the first being in December, and not an easy one to get, so happy with that. This was followed by a flounder, so mission accomplished and two not so easy fish to get on the morning of the New Year.
View attachment 5075
Next session was at Hengistbury Head with @DJDBazzer. It means a drive there, park up and then cycle the 1 plus mile to fish the big groyne. Not a good session for either of us really. I only had pout, @DJDBazzer had dogs, whiting, pout and pollack. He walked back along the beach, I cycled down the road. He found a dead body and I didn't!!! Yeah you read that right!

Lock down hits!

So time for me to look at what opportunities there are for fishing local. There are a few well known spots and some I keep quiet!

Fished the estuary and had my first bass of the year followed by another. No size to them, but got me my fourth species.
View attachment 5077
Next trip was to Town Quay where I fished with my usual 2 x 9ft ugly sticks looking for mini species. My reward was 5 very small whiting so again that was another species giving me 6. Not really what I was after, but again I count myself lucky to have places close to home to fish and again that some don't have that luxury.
View attachment 5078
Next session was in the estuary again and as reported where I had 13 bass and some nice ones in very wet conditions. A much better stamp of fish as well.
View attachment 5079
View attachment 5080
View attachment 5081
Next estuary session for me got me a really pretty corkwing wrasse not huge, but in prime condition. Species 7.
View attachment 5082
I followed that with a quick session at the same place and caught 4 species of fish. 2 x rock gobies, 1 x corkwing, some more nice bass and a lovely gilt head bream. Now up to 8 species.
View attachment 5083
View attachment 5084
Next trip gave me 17 bass! More of them than my earlier session, but not as good size wise. Another wet session! The lure fishing boys did not catch anything so seeing me pulling them in and knowing that there were plenty about, must have been irritating for them!
View attachment 5085
Fished Maggi Lane Beach looking for a bit of shelter. Lost all my gear on the first and second casts. Something very sharp down there. Rock oysters? Blank!

My last session was at Town Quay where I caught 5 x whiting, another bass, and a black goby to go with the rock goby.

So as a round up I have managed over 60 fish (mostly bass) and 9 species of fish, fishing locally. So if you can get out (and I know that some of you can't) do so, there are fish there. If you can't get out, your time will come, so get your gear sorted ready!
enjoyed reading that thanks for sharing and well done getting a few fish to start off the year well

Enjoyable post,interesting to see a bream caught this time of year,the next couple of days the water temp is going to start dropping quicker so things will change again and things will get tougher,well done on getting out though but too bloody cold for my arthritus:)...Alan
Still been getting out, but less fish, so You were right.

A nice selection there GB, well done (y)

Back