• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Jeez, I've just near fainted!

Trampster

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Don't know what prompted me, but I've got an old Split Cane rod upstairs that has Walker's Portsea written on it, so decided to google it.

There's one for sale on eBay Australia for AU $306! ??? Started me thinking I wonder how many of us have other little Angling gems around that we maybe don't realise the value of.

I bought 4 shimano technium xtas with 16 spools of a guy in Ringwood a few years ago for 700.00.
They are just about to go on the bay.
The carp boys have gone raving mad for them..... not often i get the chance to treble my money and i prefer my new ones.

Bought a Bruce and Walker glass stepped up rod(Can't remember full Bumpf)off a guy fishing one day for £5 had an inkling it was worth more then kept seeing it on likes of Dangling times/Mail on Antique tackle etc like some reference item so rang some guy that markets gear etc(Someone gave me his details)Asked what's it like? do you have bag or not? =Minimum of £70 if no bag £100 with bag.

We used to live out in the sticks when I was a kid, and there was a dangerous bend between our house & the village bus stop, so if I was lucky, the bus driver would stop and let me off outside of home.
I must have been about 12/13, and had been chatting to one of the bus drivers about this Walkers fishing rod. One of the rings was loose, so he said "get your Mum to bring it down to the gate when I drop you off tomorrow, and I'll fix it".
True to his word, he re-rung the whole rod if I remember correctly, and did a top notch job. That would have been about 50 years ago.

I did also see something on Google that implied the Walker's rod brand may later have become the Jarvis Walker brand that was around in later years.

Sold my flattie fanatic 2000 to my mate and bought back off him for £25.00. Let my daughter borrow it and she smacked it on the pier rail and broke the butt. Looked on eBay, they’re fetching over £300.00. ?

Might be asking £300 for FF's Conc but it's that same seller that overvalues everything but only offers you 1/4 of his asking price if you are selling anythinghe wants! The blokes a proper numpty. Truer market value on a FF in decent condition would be £160/170. The Cono-flex page on FB would be the place to sell or buy or ask for a valuation.

Might be asking £300 for FF's Conc but it's that same seller that overvalues everything but only offers you 1/4 of his asking price if you are selling anythinghe wants! The blokes a proper numpty. Truer market value on a FF in decent condition would be £160/170. The Cono-flex page on FB would be the place to sell or buy or ask for a valuation.
I intend to mend it at some point. I know a guy who builds rods and mends them. He’s always got bits of carbon tubes laying about and is bound to have something that will do the job. I’m seriously thinking about getting him to turn my my Zziplex light bass rods into three piecers. Love the rods, but the 8 feet tips are a pain.

You should worry. I have subscribed to the Sunday Times Wine Club for many years. Back in the 90’s they used to run a “Rare Malts“ club that would send you a specially sourced rare malt whiskey, cask strength (typically 55-65 degrees proof) that was usually 20-30 years old for about £55 per bottle. It was a lot back then but the first bottle I had was a 23yr old Teaninich and my father-in-law (who’s more of a whiskey drinker than me) and I absolutely loved it. I stayed in the club for several years but didn’t drink a whole bottle myself in 3 months. I ended up with at least 6 bottles in the drinks cabinet unopened so I decided to cancel the subscription for a year or two until I’d run the stocks down a bit.

They ended the series in the meantime.

About a year ago I decided it would be wonderful to get my father-in-law a bottle of that Teaninich. Imagine my surprise to find that it now sell for £800 a bottle :cry:

Worse still, some of the others I had like the Clynelish 1972 (which was average imho) and the Brora 1972 (which was shite) now sells for £3000 and £10,000 respectively ???

Last edited:
I bought a piece of land for around £5,000.00 years ago if i can get PP it could be worth £150,000 but tight fkin planning dept have knocked back, may get another chance soon for PP for one on it for £100,000 all depends on other plot on road.

o_OBut available to anyone now at £85,000 to take a chance and will throw in a bit of knotweed as well

I had a fresh water centre-pin reel which i bought bran new for a fiver and never used it . About twenty years later i thought i wonder if any body wants to buy it so i put a advert in angling times with my phone number. As soon as the paper was out i got a phone call from this fellow who seemed really excited when i told him the reel was in mint nick and never been used , i also told him it was still in the original box wrapped in tissue paper . He said to me how much do you want for it which i said just give me what i paid for it a fiver . He said i will be down in half a hour and please dont sell it to any one else . In less than half a hour the bloke was at my door and when i got the reel out the box his face lit up. He said are you sure you only want a fiver for it so i said yes better some one like your self get some use out of it. I think the reel was a collector item and was worth quite a bit of money especially in the condition it was in . I believe the reel was a Allcocks Ariel and to this day i dont know what it was worth. I think the reel was like this 1643839552897.png

Last edited:
I bought a Tricast Powerstrike on ebay at a very good price. When I got talking to the bloke he told me that he loved Tricast but was now into freshwater fishing. I told him that I had a rod he might be interested in, I had researched it and only found one that had previously sold for about £290. I sent him photos and he offered me £250. As I had just got a massive bargain on the beach rod I sold him it for £200. I had paid £2 for it at a garage sale.?

I bought a piece of land for around £5,000.00 years ago if i can get PP it could be worth £150,000 but tight fkin planning dept have knocked back, may get another chance soon for PP for one on it for £100,000 all depends on other plot on road.

o_OBut available to anyone now at £85,000 to take a chance and will throw in a bit of knotweed as well
#tournamag

Put a caravan on there!

Back