• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Kingston Seymour 24/04/21

Kine262

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
The stars and the tides aligned nicely on Saturday so I decided to break off the Covid blues and travel down to meet my son for the first beach trip this year. He lives in Bristol so the channel is convenient for him, if not me. He has fished at various local venues but Kingston Seymour was the choice for my first trip.

High tide was not until 6pm so I didn’t have to set off towards Bristol too earlier, but as I hadn’t seen the lad (even though he is now six foot plus and build like a brick outhouse he will always be ‘the lad’ to me) and his girlfriend for a good while I decided to set off on the journey about 10.30am. It’s a good job I did, as the normally just under two hour trip took well over four, after a three lorry smash on the M5 in the early hours of Saturday closed the motorway in both directions for the whole day. It turned out to be a fatal accident so a delayed journey suddenly takes on less significance.

A quick stop was made at Reel Fun Fishing to collect bait and a few bits before a hurried walk up the gravel lane to the sea front showed the tide was still out far enough to not panic, although it does speed in over the mud flats when it gets closer. There were two other anglers about 200 metres away from the spot we picked. I had lots of little channels in front of me and my son went to my right, where he had the start of the large rocks creating a feature to his right. I fished a pulley rig with a squid/worm cocktail at distance and a three hook flapper with lug and rag closer in.

Setting up
IMG_2906.jpg

The two early arrivals!
IMG_2905 (2).jpg

Unfortunately, apart from one rattle just after high which came to nothing, I remained fishless. My son had one bite but whatever it was came off when it was two thirds of the way in.

B5374923-59DE-4153-9D05-BE7B6317249C.JPG

I didn’t see the two lads down from us catch anything either, but more annoyingly, two guys turned up just before high tide, with telescopic rods and one ounce leads and started casting out five feet from the edge and one of them then caught a silver eel. Having said that, I think I’d rather blank than catch small eels!

The two late arrivals with telescopic rods (and a fish!)
IMG_2920 (2).jpg

Time to pack up!
IMG_2921.jpg

But still a lovely day!!!
IMG_2912.jpg

So, two blanks but it was just lovely to be next to the sea again! Thankfully the motorway north had opened up by the time I set off back home and two hours later I was back, the tackle was safely stored away and I was sitting drinking tea and enjoying cheese on toast!

Bad luck on the fish front Will, but it looks a nice spot to fish.
Definitely somewhere I’d like to try in sole season I think!
It was a lovely spot. It was a perfect day, apart from the lack of fish. It certainly looks like it has potential too.

It was a lovely spot. It was a perfect day, apart from the lack of fish. It certainly looks like it has potential too.
I’ve heard it’s very good for sole (one of my favourite fish), even in daylight.
Will definitely try and get up there for a go in a few months.
Reel Fun is a great shop too ?

The stars and the tides aligned nicely on Saturday so I decided to break off the Covid blues and travel down to meet my son for the first beach trip this year. He lives in Bristol so the channel is convenient for him, if not me. He has fished at various local venues but Kingston Seymour was the choice for my first trip.

High tide was not until 6pm so I didn’t have to set off towards Bristol too earlier, but as I hadn’t seen the lad (even though he is now six foot plus and build like a brick outhouse he will always be ‘the lad’ to me) and his girlfriend for a good while I decided to set off on the journey about 10.30am. It’s a good job I did, as the normally just under two hour trip took well over four, after a three lorry smash on the M5 in the early hours of Saturday closed the motorway in both directions for the whole day. It turned out to be a fatal accident so a delayed journey suddenly takes on less significance.

A quick stop was made at Reel Fun Fishing to collect bait and a few bits before a hurried walk up the gravel lane to the sea front showed the tide was still out far enough to not panic, although it does speed in over the mud flats when it gets closer. There were two other anglers about 200 metres away from the spot we picked. I had lots of little channels in front of me and my son went to my right, where he had the start of the large rocks creating a feature to his right. I fished a pulley rig with a squid/worm cocktail at distance and a three hook flapper with lug and rag closer in.

Setting up
View attachment 8696

The two early arrivals!
View attachment 8697

Unfortunately, apart from one rattle just after high which came to nothing, I remained fishless. My son had one bite but whatever it was came off when it was two thirds of the way in.

View attachment 8698

I didn’t see the two lads down from us catch anything either, but more annoyingly, two guys turned up just before high tide, with telescopic rods and one ounce leads and started casting out five feet from the edge and one of them then caught a silver eel. Having said that, I think I’d rather blank than catch small eels!

The two late arrivals with telescopic rods (and a fish!)
View attachment 8700

Time to pack up!
View attachment 8702

But still a lovely day!!!
View attachment 8703

So, two blanks but it was just lovely to be next to the sea again! Thankfully the motorway north had opened up by the time I set off back home and two hours later I was back, the tackle was safely stored away and I was sitting drinking tea and enjoying cheese on toast!
Great report Will and lovely photos. SHame about the blank, but that looks a lovey mark to fish. ??

Great report and cracking pics.Do I take it they are Daiwa Sandstorms you are both using.
They are indeed mate. My lad has the 13'6" fs and I have the 14'2" multi's (although one of them has a fixed spool reel on in the pic. I was just trying to prove a point to my lad)

Yeah,Huss Hustler on here,Rick.He has the 14'2" and uses fixed spool on them.Look to be a versatile rod and 100-00 pound cheaper than the Century Fireblade.Good choice.(y)
I can't really comment on the fish landing abilities of them yet, but as for their casting credentials, I have to say they seem great. I was using five and six ounce leads and they seemed really smooth. They loaded up fairly early into the cast but then didn't bite back at the end at all. The rod doesn't have any of the whip effect at the end of delivery like the old Sandstorms used to do, but it did seem to deliver a lot of power into the cast with very little effort.

I only had one bite, that failed to really develop, but it showed up very clearly on the rod tip. So far I am really pleased with them.

Great report Will and lovely photos. SHame about the blank, but that looks a lovey mark to fish. ??
Cheers Dave, sorry I didn't reply earlier but for some reason I had put you on ignore! God knows how I had done that and it certainly wasn't deliberate. I just clicked on my profile as I was going to change the picture and I noticed that I was ignoring one member. :rolleyes: :oops::oops::confused:

All sorted now. I

Cheers Dave, sorry I didn't reply earlier but for some reason I had put you on ignore! God knows how I had done that and it certainly wasn't deliberate. I just clicked on my profile as I was going to change the picture and I noticed that I was ignoring one member. :rolleyes: :oops::oops::confused:

All sorted now. I
Hahaha! You can go off people ya know! ?? No, seriously, I put a few on ignore on t'other site and go fed up with threads not making sense, so now I just 'manually' ignore 'em, curse under my breath, and move on. ??

Hahaha! You can go off people ya know! ?? No, seriously, I put a few on ignore on t'other site and go fed up with threads not making sense, so now I just 'manually' ignore 'em, curse under my breath, and move on. ??
Lol, I haven't actually ever put anyone on ignore, well not deliberately or that I have known about anyway. I just tend to ignore it myself when someone is rambling or getting on my nerves. I was tempted to put someone on ignore over the anti=vaxxing stuff but just managed to resist.

All sorted now. I
Do you know, I had that. I haven’t got anyone on ignore intentionally here but last week or so I was wondering where someone’s posts had gone and when I clicked on his name I had him on ignore.
It wasn’t Dave! ? Honest!

I only noticed because a thread suddenly wasn’t making sense.
Don’t know if it was fat finger syndrome and I had accidentally hit the button, or some sort of glitch

I put someone on ignore nextdoor,can't remember who it was!!! Lol these days I just try not to read posts by people I don't agree with. Trouble with me is if I've had too much beer I don't ignore things.

Do you know, I had that. I haven’t got anyone on ignore intentionally here but last week or so I was wondering where someone’s posts had gone and when I clicked on his name I had him on ignore.
It wasn’t Dave! ? Honest!

I only noticed because a thread suddenly wasn’t making sense.
Don’t know if it was fat finger syndrome and I had accidentally hit the button, or some sort of glitch
So it's your fault then! :LOL:

Probably! Or the aliens again! ?
All a bit strange! It seems (on my Laptop) I've got to hover over a user's name, then move the mouse to 'Ignore' and intentionally click on it. Can't see that happening by accident. Must be them Gremlins! ??

Back