• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Knot for tying 60lb shock leader to quick link etc

Pendeenpiscator

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
At the moment I am using a blood knot? as in coarse fishing it never let me down and I can remember how to do it. I am wrapping the tag end 4 times, any more and it doesn't want cinch down. Is this ok? Or if there is a better knot, the name of it would be fine, I can look up how to do it on the web. The way I do it is to go through the eye, wrap the tag 4 times then back through the loop. I am using Greased Weasel 60lb. Thanks ?

At the moment I am using a blood knot? as in coarse fishing it never let me down and I can remember how to do it. I am wrapping the tag end 4 times, any more and it doesn't want cinch down. Is this ok? Or if there is a better knot, the name of it would be fine, I can look up how to do it on the web. The way I do it is to go through the eye, wrap the tag 4 times then back through the loop. I am using Greased Weasel 60lb. Thanks ?
It sounds like you are using the knot I was taught from a young age. It worked well until a couple of years ago, when I found that with some Mono line (I rarely use Braid), it was pulling out. SInce then, I use the Uni knot for most things.

I have found the Uni knot to be totally reliable, and it leaves the tag end facing back up the line, which is handy sometimes when tying hooks to snoods. If you leave the tag end about 3mm long, and slide a worm bait up over the hook & the knot, it helps stop the worm sliding down the hook.

It's mainly the shock leader to quick link that I have doubts about, I will look up the uni knot for the hook lengths though. I don't think there's any risk of an actual fish causing a break, as I am sure the fish have been over educated down here?

It's mainly the shock leader to quick link that I have doubts about, I will look up the uni knot for the hook lengths though. I don't think there's any risk of an actual fish causing a break, as I am sure the fish have been over educated down here?
Shock leader to quick link, I use a figure of 8 loop knot. The eyes on both of my Conti rods are so small (< 5mm) I can't leave a link or swivel on the leader, so tie a loop knot at home, pass the loop though the quick link, and pass the link through the loop. One less knot to tie on the shore.

It sounds like you are using the knot I was taught from a young age. It worked well until a couple of years ago, when I found that with some Mono line (I rarely use Braid), it was pulling out. SInce then, I use the Uni knot for most things.

I have found the Uni knot to be totally reliable, and it leaves the tag end facing back up the line, which is handy sometimes when tying hooks to snoods. If you leave the tag end about 3mm long, and slide a worm bait up over the hook & the knot, it helps stop the worm sliding down the hook.
A tucked blood knot shouldn't slip??? On 100lb plus a three turn blood is ok but I put the hook on a nail and pull it tight with both hands??

A tucked blood knot shouldn't slip??? On 100lb plus a three turn blood is ok but I put the hook on a nail and pull it tight with both hands??
Didn't know about tucking it in - never saw the quilt! ??

I'll just stick with the Uni knot, except on the end of the leader as mentioned. ??

What does an untucked blood knot look like? Have I been tucking without knowing it, normally I realise that I have tucked by the heavy breathing and lack of energy.

What does an untucked blood knot look like? Have I been tucking without knowing it, normally I realise that I have tucked by the heavy breathing and lack of energy.
Ordinary (untucked!) Blood Knot:

1645611766123.png

Tucked Blood knot is where, after you pass the line through the 'hole' next to the eye, it then gets passed back though the loop you created.
The image explains it better:

1645611972149.png

I had to remind myself and look it up too! ??

Ordinary (untucked!) Blood Knot:

View attachment 23192

Tucked Blood knot is where, after you pass the line through the 'hole' next to the eye, it then gets passed back though the loop you created.
The image explains it better:

View attachment 23193

I had to remind myself and look it up too! ??
I used to be able to tie them in the dark without a head torch!!!

Back